Marquise Goodwin to compete in long jump at Olympic Trials Friday

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Link

Bears wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was an Olympian before he was an NFL player and his bid for another spot on the U.S. team will get underway on Friday.

Goodwin will take part in the long jump qualifying round at the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon on Friday. If he advances, Goodwin will jump for a spot on the team on Sunday.

Goodwin won the Olympic Trials in 2012 before finishing 10th at the London Summer Olympics. He failed to qualify for the team in 2016 while he was playing for the Bills and planned to try for the team last year before the Tokyo Olympics were postponed to this summer.

“My chances are always high because you never know what could happen on that day,” Goodwin said, via Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

The track and field competitions in Tokyo will take place from July 30 to August 8, so Goodwin will miss training camp time if he does make the team. He told Biggs the Bears have been supportive of his quest and we’ll know soon if they’ll have to plan for life without the wideout this summer.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I hope him all the best.

When the Eagles traded for him last year I went into learning what that was all about. Might be one of the better stories in terms of having an exceptionally high character.

Anyway, I'm a fan and I wish him all the best.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
That is cool, being an Olympian and and NFL player, I bet there is not too many out there, most do one or the other.

Might not be good for his year with the Bears if he makes the team, but that is not a chance I would pass up if I was that talented.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
This is really cool. I hope more kids and parents getting kids into sports take note of this. So many of the top athletes compete at a high level, or once did, in multi-sports. So many kids specialize in a single sport at such a young age now, and it is really counterproductive.

DickButkus97

Liked Posts:
Wasn’t Willie Gault of the 85 Bears a former track Olympian? Maybe Goodwin can be the deep threat that Gault was:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wasn’t Willie Gault of the 85 Bears a former track Olympian? Maybe Goodwin can be the deep threat that Gault was:
Yup but never got to compete in the boycott.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He should identify as a woman and take some T blockers for a few days

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I question his passion and desire and hunger to play football for the Bears.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I question his passion and desire and hunger to play football for the Bears.

If there's anyone who's desire you shouldn't question, it's a guy that works his ass off just to compete for like 3 minutes every 4 years. If you know his story and what it takes to compete at an Olympic level.....let me just say, I hope you're joking.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If there's anyone who's desire you shouldn't question, it's a guy that works his ass off just to compete for like 3 minutes every 4 years. If you know his story and what it takes to compete at an Olympic level.....let me just say, I hope you're joking.
I’m not kidding. We have a rookie QB and while he’s off in Tokyo we have a wasted roster spot.

#FirePace

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The players are off until July 27th, when they return to start training camp.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If Goodwin qualifies for the Olympics he'd miss most of if not all of training camp
Bears head coach Matt Nagy has been very supportive of Goodwin’s decision. In fact, he recently spoke to the media about the wide receiver’s mindset heading into the qualifier.

“Anytime you have an Olympic mentality you are different,” Nagy said, via Bears Wire. “That’s a minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour regime that you are keeping your body in shape. … For him [Goodwin], that’s never going to change.”

The track and field competitions in Tokyo will take place from July 30 to August 8, so Goodwin will miss training camp time if he does make the team. He told Biggs the Bears have been supportive of his quest and we’ll know soon if they’ll have to plan for life without the wideout this summer.

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Bears head coach Matt Nagy has been very supportive of Goodwin’s decision. In fact, he recently spoke to the media about the wide receiver’s mindset heading into the qualifier.

“Anytime you have an Olympic mentality you are different,” Nagy said, via Bears Wire. “That’s a minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour regime that you are keeping your body in shape. … For him [Goodwin], that’s never going to change.”

I just still am not sure why you put when training camp starts. I thought maybe you weren't aware he'd miss some time.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gault was an amazing deep threat and one of my favorite Bears players from that era. Ironically though, I think Bernard Berrian was a better deep threat. You can't really compare stats because the eras are vastly different. Berrian wasn't as fast as Gault, but man he somehow got past defenders a lot.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I support Goodwin going to the Olympics, even though yeah, it would interfere with training camp. It means he's working on his speed training. I still think he'll Make the Bears team, as well as Damiere Byrd. Bye-bye Javon Wims.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
All I'm saying is that Eddie Goldman misses three days and people question his dedication, commitment, and drive. There was even speculation he was retiring. All based on zero evidence. Now you have Goodwin missing training camp, when establishing a relationship with two new QBs on this roster is going to be essential going forward, and there's no issue with it.

All I'm asking is for a little consistency in what we fucking queef out about.