Martellus Bennett has an idea for Bears' defense

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Martellus Bennett has an idea for Bears' defense

By Fred Mitchell, Tribune reporter
8:10 p.m. CST, December 10, 2013

Tight end Martellus Bennett has caught 53 passes this season, but his biggest catch could come by influencing his brother, defensive end Michael Bennett of the Seahawks, to join him with the Bears when he becomes a free agent.

"Next year I am trying to get him to come here because he will be a free agent again. So I am selling him already," Bennett said Tuesday on his weekly segment of the "Boers & Bernstein Show" on WSCR-AM 670.

"Hey, our kids (can) grow up together, we're right around the corner from each other ... We're extremely close ... like we talk every day all day," Bennett said.

"And I think he would be a huge asset to this team. So I'm recruiting him already and I am already whispering into the defensive coaches' ears and everything:"

Michael Bennett, 28, who is a fifth-year pro out of Texas A&M, has 20 tackles and 6.5 sacks this season for the NFC West-leading Seahawks. He had nine sacks and three forced fumbles last season with Tampa Bay, and he has 21.5 career sacks. He signed a one-year deal with Seattle last March for $4.8 million that included a $1.5 million signing bonus. He could become an unrestricted free agent next season.

"I think any smart person in life will always explore their options. You don't just go and buy the first car in the lot. You want to look at the other ones out there as well, see how those drive," Martellus Bennett said of his brother's possibilities.

fmitchell@tribune.com

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
He obviously follows WindyCity's post like a hawked unicorn. Wise man.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't realize Michael was that old.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Martellus Bennett's idea for the Bears defense: Get better players.

Thanks Marty, I hope they look into that.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's Michael that good? I thought he was a fairly average 4-3 end. Better than what we have I guess.