Matt Bowen on Fields

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know the defense will slide, but if Fields shows to be the answer, I expect the Bears to go back to drafting defense again...throw in a wr here and there to replace AR, because I don't think the Bears will re-sign him

Luke

Liked Posts:
I know the defense will slide, but if Fields shows to be the answer, I expect the Bears to go back to drafting defense again...throw in a wr here and there to replace AR, because I don't think the Bears will re-sign him

WR and CB will be the two big 2022 FA acquisitions.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Me too.

I think we got a good QB, but the luster wears off quick if we're not in the playoffs consistently.

Watch for the defense to slide. Probably not Mel Tucker bad, but I really think we're just league average now.

No. Pagano was a massive problem last year. At worst, they will be average. Pagano was simply that bad and clueless.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed on the Chiefs comparisons. The Bears have no business trying to sit back and throw the ball all around the field, even with Justin Fields. Run the ball better and just complete some of the longer passes and the offense will be fine.

I also don't know about pushing Fields into a starting role early. I want to see him play just as much as the next person, but not at the cost of his total development.

Fields started 22 college games. Lawrence started 40.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
what about that kermit guy?
Oprah Nah GIFs | Tenor

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I like Matt Bowen's take, though I don't 100 percent agree with all of it. I always get a little nervous when people make comparisons to the KC offense. KC has the best tight-end in the game (by far), the functionally fastest player in the NFL as a deep threat, and prior to Eric Fisher's injury, one of the better offensive lines in the league. I still believe that while Patrick Mahomes is an incredible talent, he benefits tremendously from those other assets.
How about Buffalo? Bowen also talked about them creating explosive plays and their second receiver was Cole Beasley. Their leading TE had less than 300 yards on the season. Our skill positions are better top-to-bottom than theirs were last year.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I like Matt Bowen's take, though I don't 100 percent agree with all of it. I always get a little nervous when people make comparisons to the KC offense. KC has the best tight-end in the game (by far), the functionally fastest player in the NFL as a deep threat, and prior to Eric Fisher's injury, one of the better offensive lines in the league. I still believe that while Patrick Mahomes is an incredible talent, he benefits tremendously from those other assets.

On the other hand, with the Bears, there are a lot of unprovens. The Bears offensive line has the potential to be good. I think next year they will be better than they are this year; in fact I think they'll be dominant (next year). It remains to be seen what Kmet will develop into, and the only guy the Bears have on the roster that might have speed approaching Tyreek Hill's speed is Damiere Byrd, and he's still slower by a generous .2 of a second in the 100m. So no Mr Bowen, I don't think the Bears will look like the Chiefs. Which doesn't mean they have their own strengths; I think the Chicago running game has the potential to maul people this year.
i think Kmet will end up a lot closer to Jason Witten than Kelce, some "experts" are saying it is a stretch to say Witten

Nelly

Liked Posts:
i think Kmet will end up a lot closer to Jason Witten than Kelce, some "experts" are saying it is a stretch to say Witten
If Kmet becomes Jason Witten then that'd be a home run pick. I'd settle for an early Kyle Rudolph.... maybe.

Fun fact: Jason Witten was drafted the same year as Rex Grossman. Seems like a million years ago.

Another fun fact: the man who was taken one pick before Tom Brady? You guessed it: Matt Bowen.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I am worried that I am not going to be able to look at Fields play on the field objectively.........

I'm feeling a little brain washed with all this praise, and in recent history, any time the Bears start getting praise from the media, shit starts to fall apart.....

I want Justin to be the next great QB sooo bad that I'm worried I will not see the forest for the trees.....

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they should use all of camp and PS and possibly weeks 1-3 to evaluate not just Fields but also Jenkins.

If TJ is holding down LT at a respectable level (along with the rest of the line) and Fields has a decent grasp of the playbook let him play.

Put Mack across from Jenkins every day in practice until he can hold his own.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
He should make fans nervous because no one really knows anything about him. All we really know is he wants to bring back a Fangio style defense. That alone makes me excited, but will he be able to execute it?

We don't even know that. All the media has said is he's a Fangio disciple. That doesn't mean he's gonna run Fangio's D.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not worried at all about Desai. He's an anti-Pagano. He'll make calls similar to Fangio and get the defense closer to what they were. I only wish we had the same secondary .
I find it funny how you know that when he's never called a game in his life.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kmet is a fine player and will be on this roster for the next 10 years, barring injuries. Dont know why so many are freaking out on here about him.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find it funny how you know that when he's never called a game in his life.
Human nature. He was mentored by Fangio. Who would he pattern his playcalling after, Nagy?

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
Human nature. He was mentored by Fangio. Who would he pattern his playcalling after, Nagy?
Gee, maybe he has his own scheme?? Crazy right??? I'm sure that yes, he'll do some things similar to Fangio, but it won't be a carbon copy.