Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No shit.. I'm talking about the RISK of potentially losing your OC. If Fields has a great year then the chance of our OC getting plucked is VERY high when 100% of his success is pointed to the OC. vs a large part would be pointed to the HC if it was an offensive minded HC and system.

Whats better for the development for fields? A defensive HC and a revolving door at the OC position or a Offensive HC and consistency with the offensive system?

Basically all we can do is hope that our OC is competent enough to do an OK job but not too competent enough to get offered a HC job.. great..
So hire Caldwell as the OC. At his age he's less likely to be hired away than some young buck.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Toledo, Missouri, Browns, Cowboys, Colts.

Jason Garrett, Eric Mangini, Frank Reich.

This is his employment history.

Does this excite anyone? Does this give anyone confidence?
I like that he has worked under multiple coaches, in multiple places.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Sigh.....
Yes, sigh ... because you have a ways to go on your learning.

Chris Hewitt, defensive pass game coordinator and secondary coach Hewitt, 47, has spent 10 seasons with the Ravens and was promoted from defensive backs coach to pass game coordinator in 2020. Zrebiec: "Chris Hewitt has paid his dues with the Ravens and been viewed as the heir apparent to Martindale if the latter got a head coaching job.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
To be fair, even the clueless CCS posters could install an offense that was almost as good as Nagy's.
My name is Ryan and I've got a friend from high school named Matt. We totally should have applied for the jobs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No shit.. I'm talking about the RISK of potentially losing your OC. If Fields has a great year then the chance of our OC getting plucked is VERY high when 100% of his success is pointed to the OC. vs a large part would be pointed to the HC if it was an offensive minded HC and system.

Whats better for the development for fields? A defensive HC and a revolving door at the OC position or a Offensive HC and consistency with the offensive system?

Basically all we can do is hope that our OC is competent enough to do an OK job but not too competent enough to get offered a HC job.. great..

What is better is for Fields to develop period. Fields had an O minded HC and it failed because the dude could not handle it.

So you are only looking at the risk from your biased perspective. Daboll was great when he was just the OC. But as a HC calling plays he could end up faltering just as Nagy did because it is too much.

At this point none of us know whether Daboll is Nagy or Reid or whether Eberflus is Lovie or Tomlin.

All we know is you are being a whiny cunt about a risk that you have no means to accurately assess at this point.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Good point. Mahomes fell apart after Nagy left.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yes, sigh ... because you have a ways to go on your learning.
Is it that I have some learning to do, or is it that you jumped into the conversation midway and haven't read what I have been arguing in this entire thread?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
exactly this. the most important position in the NFL is the QB.. so getting a HC that actually can put together a game plan to help develop that QB should of been the top priority.

Right now if we have ANY success on the offense and Fields looks good next year.. there goes your OC for a HC job and you are back to looking for another OC..
That doesn’t have to be the head coach though.

Dawgsfan1

Liked Posts:
There's plenty of examples of QBs developing under non-offensive head coaches.

Lamar Jackson under John Harbaugh.
Ben Roethlisberger under Mike Tomlin.
Josh Allen under Sean McDermott.
Tom Brady under Bill Belichick.
Peyton Manning under Jim Mora.
Matt Stafford under Jim Schwartz.
Matt Ryan under Mike Smith.
Russell Wilson under Pete Carroll.
Ryan Tannehill under Mike Vrabel (kinda)

...and others I'm sure I'm missing. You could also find a lot of examples of QBs failing to become anything underneath an offensive minded head coach: Trubisky (and Fields year 1) as a prime example close to home. Hiring a head coach from a defensive background definitely doesn't preclude you from having a good offense or a team that can develop a QB. Ultimately it'll come down to whether or not we drafted the right guy in Fields or not.
You don't trade the assets the Bears did to grab a quarterback and then hire a defensive head coach. The quarterbacks you listed were available when those teams drafted. The Bears traded assets to get Fields and have spent THE ENTIRE TIME SNCE THEN TO MINIMIZE HIM. The coup de grace was TELLING the media that Fields would have no say in the head coach search. This is a scrub organization, period.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yes and all we can do is hope the guy you didnt think was good enough to be a OC (otherwise you would of just hired him as the OC in the first place) somehow turns out to be a competent OC.. but not too competent otherwise your back to the drawing board again..

This is stupid. You may not have hired him as OC at first because the OC you did hire was better or more experienced. You are allowing you bias to let you say stupid shit.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Our last HC worked under gawd Andy Reid and how'd that turn out?

I think people place to much emphasis on coaching trees.
Maybe get a larger sample pool than just one coach?

Most coaches will fail. So stop with the “our last coach” shit.

Id like to see better coaches on this guys resume.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
yes and all we can do is hope the guy you didnt think was good enough to be a OC (otherwise you would of just hired him as the OC in the first place) somehow turns out to be a competent OC.. but not too competent otherwise your back to the drawing board again..

The horror.

And what if they win a super bowl and teams want their players and coaches? OMG!!!!