Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remember in 2015, Adam Gase was the Bears OC for one year and coaxed a noticeable improvement in Jay Cutler’s performance, when Cutler had been phoning it in previously. In 2016, Gase was made a HC, and then the over promoted Dowell Loggans was not successful with Cutler. This literally just happened a few years ago. We lost offensive momentum and continuity, and took a step backwards.

Also, when an OC leaves to be a HC, a lot of times he takes his QB coach with him to be his OC on the new team, or his OL coach, or other members of his staff that the new HC wants to take with him. He leaves the coaches he doesn’t want. Then that team over promotes the leftover, or hires a new OC from another team, and offensive momentum and continuity is interrupted.

I’m not going to sit around worrying about it…it happens on both sides of the ball, like losing Fangio to a HC gig…but it’s an offensive driven league. Deep run playoff teams score way more points than the Bears have been. If we ever are lucky enough to get a competent offensive mind to come to the Bears under Eberflus, and and Justin throws for 4600 yards and thirty touchdowns and they average 27 points a game—none of which is Mt. Olympus—I’m hoping he is a Brian Daboll type, who apparently interviews poorly for HC jobs, or we’ve already won the Super Bowl. Because if all that happens, that OC will be one hot candidate, and all the “good” offensive staff might follow him out the door, affecting offensive momentum and continuity for the following year, and being further from winning the Super Bowl.

I wish they had hired an offensive minded HC, so we could see the offense grow and develop and win for many years because they can score with the best teams. And the main reason they did so is not out interviewing for HC gigs as soon as the season is over.

Cutler only played 5 games in 2016. He missed time due to a thumb injury to his throwing hand and then came back for a couple of games before tearing his labrum.

So unless Gase was secretly a class 5 healing mage, dont think he helps Cutler in 2016.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
lol Reid as a HC has made the playoffs 17 times, 12 division titles, 9 times to the championship game. played in the super bowl 3 times and has 1 ring.. so where is this "huge hole" exactly?
How many times in Kansas City had Reid taken his team to the Super Bowl before Mahomes? 0
How many times in 14 seasons with The Eagles had he been to the Super Bowl…..1
if Mahomes decide to quit tomorrow it would take many years before Reid made it back to the Super Bowl.
If Field is a great quarterback it won’t matter.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Remember in 2015, Adam Gase was the Bears OC for one year and coaxed a noticeable improvement in Jay Cutler’s performance, when Cutler had been phoning it in previously. In 2016, Gase was made a HC, and then the over promoted Dowell Loggans was not successful with Cutler. This literally just happened a few years ago. We lost offensive momentum and continuity, and took a step backwards.

Also, when an OC leaves to be a HC, a lot of times he takes his QB coach with him to be his OC on the new team, or his OL coach, or other members of his staff that the new HC wants to take with him. He leaves the coaches he doesn’t want. Then that team over promotes the leftover, or hires a new OC from another team, and offensive momentum and continuity is interrupted.

I’m not going to sit around worrying about it…it happens on both sides of the ball, like losing Fangio to a HC gig…but it’s an offensive driven league. Deep run playoff teams score way more points than the Bears have been. If we ever are lucky enough to get a competent offensive mind to come to the Bears under Eberflus, and and Justin throws for 4600 yards and thirty touchdowns and they average 27 points a game—none of which is Mt. Olympus—I’m hoping he is a Brian Daboll type, who apparently interviews poorly for HC jobs, or we’ve already won the Super Bowl. Because if all that happens, that OC will be one hot candidate, and all the “good” offensive staff might follow him out the door, affecting offensive momentum and continuity for the following year, and being further from winning the Super Bowl.

I wish they had hired an offensive minded HC, so we could see the offense grow and develop and win for many years because they can score with the best teams. And the main reason they did so is not out interviewing for HC gigs as soon as the season is over.
So you won’t see the offense grow just because they hired a defensive minded coach. Jeez I wonder why any team hires a defensive minded coach.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Does the gap in the front bother anyone else? It reminds me of Michael Strahan. It's very distracting to me.
Worried about another mans looks, calls himself dick and is thinking about MIcheal Strahan. I think its time to come out the closet man. Its no big deal.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My premise is wrong is it? So KC is not a successful team then lol

Again Remy the success of your CURRENT OC would be short lived because.. he is no longer on the team.. are you literally asking me to show when an OC gets a HC job?

My example is NAGY left KC and it didn't matter because Andy Reid was still there.. my whole point is that EXACT situation.. how the hell can you not understand that? Or are you literally trying to say that KC took a step back once Nagy left? Lol

Your premise is wrong because Bellicheck, Tomlin, Harbaugh, Carroll, and Vrabel show a team can still succeed when the OC moves on.

The point is you can have sustained success under either model and you havent offered any actual evidence that one model is more successful than the other.

I am asking you to show how a QB and team falls apart when the OC moves on because if it is the case that the QB and team still succeeds whether you HC is an O guy or D guy or ST guy then it really doesnt matter. Just hire whoever you think is the best guy.

lol Reid as a HC has made the playoffs 17 times, 12 division titles, 9 times to the championship game. played in the super bowl 3 times and has 1 ring.. so where is this "huge hole" exactly?

Now do Bellichek. I will start you off. 7 SBs.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you won’t see the offense grow just because they hired a defensive minded coach. Jeez I wonder why any team hires a defensive minded coach.
Its not a smart move anymore with the rules as they are. You’re much more likely to win with an offensive HC. The Bears fucked up.

If you have an offensive HC, and are winning because of your offense, you might lose an OC as Green Bay just found out, but the system and play caller will have continuity.

Everything else being equal, which team will score more points? The team with an offensive HC play caller who just lost an OC, or the team with a defensive HC, who just lost its OC play caller and has a new OC play caller?

Last edited:

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Another example of this with the Bears. Under defensive minded Wannie, Ron Turner was the OC/play caller in ‘95 and they had the Bears best offense of the modern era. Turner left after ‘96 to HC Illinois, and the next OC/play caller couldn’t get anything going.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Its not a smart move anymore with the rules as they are. You’re much more likely to win with an offensive HC. The Bears fucked up.

If you have an offensive HC, and are winning because of your offense, you might lose an OC as Green Bay just found out, but the system and play caller will have continuity.

Everything else being equal, which team will score more points? The team with an offensive HC play caller who just lost an OC, or the team with a defensive HC, who just lost its OC play caller?
The Bears fucked up in your opinion. I’d take a Bill Belichick over any offensive minded coach at their peak. Mike Tomlin does just fine, never having a losing season after losing an OC. I think people put way to much on the coaches but not the players. If you have a great Qb you can change coordinators every other year and it would not matter no matter what side of the ball is your speciality. John Harbaugh is another great example. But yeah, Matt Nagy proves your theory correct…….Right? The Bears went from 9th In scoring to 29th the next with the same O.C. And then to 22nd with Tabor to 27th the next season and he was then fired. It’s all in the players

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Bears fucked up in your opinion. I’d take a Bill Belichick over any offensive minded coach at their peak. Mike Tomlin does just fine, never having a losing season after losing an OC. I think people put way to much on the coaches but not the players. If you have a great Qb you can change coordinators every other year and it would not matter no matter what side of the ball is your speciality. John Harbaugh is another great example. But yeah, Matt Nagy proves your theory correct…….Right? The Bears went from 9th In scoring to 29th the next with the same O.C. And then to 22nd with Tabor to 27th the next season and he was then fired. It’s all in the players

I’d ride with Bill Belechek or Mike Tomlin for sure. For every one of those guys, tho there’s 10 Mike Zimmer’s or Leslie Frazier’s, or Lovie Smith’s.

Shoud’ve gone with an offensive HC. You gotta score points, It’s tough to do the first year of a new system, which will follow a successful season where you’ve lost your OC/play caller.

Much more difficult to start a new system than continue on with the old one.

It’s cool if you don’t agree with it, doesn’t matter to me at all. But here we are and if we have an “up” season, and that OC, quarterbacks coach and/or OL coach leaves for another team, the next year, with the new OC/play caller, is going to be a “down” year.

The Bears fucked up. Pace had the right idea when he hired Nagy, he just wasn’t smart enough to see through Nagy’s BS.

Last edited:

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What are your parameters for winning? Most of the recent teams with log term success aren't those with an offensive HC.

I still find it humorous that fans are pointing to the Chiefs as a success then gripe about the new GM for the HC hire.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would rather have a HC who doesn't fuck with the OC, but doesn't appoint Mike Tice or Martz as OC, thanks

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What are your parameters for winning? Most of the recent teams with log term success aren't those with an offensive HC.

I still find it humorous that fans are pointing to the Chiefs as a success then gripe about the new GM for the HC hire.

With a defensive HC, if a team wins because of its offense, that OC/play caller is likely gone and then you’re starting over.

As for Poles, I wanted him to go outside the three finalists. When he didn’t, that made me think he’s not as powerful as the Bears are saying. An older offensive HC, a failed defensive HC, and a mid level DC. How is it that those were Poles’ guys? It feels like he had to pick from the three.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
With a defensive HC, if a team wins because of its offense, that OC/play caller is likely gone and then you’re starting over.
If that team is winning, it's most likely due to their QB play.

So I don't view it as starting over, I think that's more of a talking point than anything. A balanced complementary football approach is the best. And surprisingly, a defensive minded HC has better results in that department.

I can't fault them for going in that direction, whether it pays off is the unknown. It all falls on the shoulder of Fields and whether he has the mental toughness to be a true franchise QB

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’d ride with Bill Belechek or Mike Tomlin for sure. For every one of those guys, tho there’s 10 Mike Zimmer’s or Leslie Frazier’s, or Lovie Smith’s.

Shoud’ve gone with an offensive HC. You gotta score points, It’s tough to do the first year of a new system, which will follow a successful season where you’ve lost your OC/play caller.

Much more difficult to start a new system than continue on with the old one.

It’s cool if you don’t agree with it, doesn’t matter to me at all. But here we are and if we have an “up” season, and that OC, quarterbacks coach and/or OL coach leaves for another team, the next year, with the new OC/play caller, is going to be a “down” year.

The Bears fucked up. Pace had the right idea when he hired Nagy, he just wasn’t smart enough to see through Nagy’s BS.

Yeah and for every Andy Reid there are 20 Matt Nagys.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
It’s an argument in favor of hiring an offensive HC, so there is offensive continuity after a winning season or two…

?
IT is not about hiring an offensive HC vs defensive HC............it's hiring the RIGHT HC. With nine openings this year most will fail within three years. Teams are lucky if they hire the right guy. I consider Mike Vrabel an outstanding coach, who has now had three OC's in three years yet the system never has changed, and that O keeps rolling along even with all the injuries on that side of the ball. That's simply good coaching and having the ability to hire the right guy for his system, even if he loses an assistant or two along the way.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:

And there it is JJ outbid the cheap ass Bears for Quinn, what a surprise. I’m sure the homers will try to act like it was some other team that offered him the job.
“He believes”

Toast88

Liked Posts:
So Eberflus had a secret interview that wasn't disclosed?
Didn’t they also say that Poles demanded full autonomy of the coaching search or he’s getting on a plane to Minneapolis? I don’t recall them saying anything about ownership. They hinted Ballard was the connection to Eberflus, given Poles’ time in KC with him.
No, the only person who reported that Poles demanded and/or was given full autonomy was Jeff Hughes (Da Bears Blog). No one else has.

As to onebud, yeah, I don’t know. I’ve not been keeping great track of exactly who interviewed when and how many times. It’s possible they meant to refer to Poles’ second interview, not first, since I do recall that Eberflus interviewed last week and then again on Monday, a day before Poles was hired. Did they end up pushing back that Eberflus interview? I don’t recall.

Last edited: