Matt Garza.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Agreed.

That is what any smart fan would want.

I have a list of names who are at the helm of the antitheses of this move.

Garza shouldnt go anywhere......I would add another big fish too. Give me Price, give me Josh Johnson this offseason and next

I am, however, prepared to see another flipper like Phil Hughes.....

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a list of names who are at the helm of the antitheses of this move.

Garza shouldnt go anywhere......I would add another big fish too. Give me Price, give me Josh Johnson this offseason and next

I am, however, prepared to see another flipper like Phil Hughes.....

I'm sure I'm on this list :rolleyes: the Cubs "should" do whatever it takes to keep Garza. he is gonna be the stone that shows which direction this rebuild is going in, if we trade him off or let him walk, clearly we aren't taking any steps forward next year or in 2015. Which would upset a lot of fans, myself included.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Phil Hughes isn't a flip. His stats versus NL opponents are solid and his numbers at Yankee Stadium show that a move from NY would benefit him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=hugheph01&year=Career&t=p

Phil Hughes isnt going to get big money, well he shouldnt. Career 4.5 ERA pitcher. Right now has just under a 5 ERA. Edwin Jackson got money because a weak pitching market in FA (Grienke, Anibal Sanchez, Jackson. Peavy was resigned early so I dont count him.) The only thing Hughes has going for him right now is he will be 27 this winter when he hits free agency, younger than the average 29-31 mark of pitchers. Hughes would need to get red hot through the rest of the year, prove he can stay in a Yankees rotation, and look halfway decent in the playoffs to get paid--and right now, hes on pace for the '1 year flyer.'

And I dont know what you're trying to do here will, hes not that spectacular against the NL; 13 games with 8 starts against NL teams, 3.83 ERA, 1.3 WHIP, 13 home runs. Good strike out numbers, 9.3 per. Astros, Mets, and Braves all have teed off against him. He shut down the Nats and Marlins.....Very inconclusive to say he will be solid in the NL.

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Pat,

Look at what the AL East does to pitchers.

Ryan Dempster went from a mid 2's ERA last season in the NL Central to a mid 4's ERA this year.
Ted Lilly went from a mid 4's ERA with the Blue Jays over 3 years to a mid 3's ERA during his seasons with the Cubs.
AJ Burnett went from a train wreck in NY to a near savior in Pittsburgh.
James Shields went from a high 3/low 4 ERA pitcher in Tampa Bay to a high 2's ERA guy for KC.

If Phil Hughes can be swayed out of NY, he appears to be the next guy to join this list.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Hughes isnt going to get big money, well he shouldnt. Career 4.5 ERA pitcher. Right now has just under a 5 ERA. Edwin Jackson got money because a weak pitching market in FA (Grienke, Anibal Sanchez, Jackson. Peavy was resigned early so I dont count him.) The only thing Hughes has going for him right now is he will be 27 this winter when he hits free agency, younger than the average 29-31 mark of pitchers. Hughes would need to get red hot through the rest of the year, prove he can stay in a Yankees rotation, and look halfway decent in the playoffs to get paid--and right now, hes on pace for the '1 year flyer.'

And I dont know what you're trying to do here will, hes not that spectacular against the NL; 13 games with 8 starts against NL teams, 3.83 ERA, 1.3 WHIP, 13 home runs. Good strike out numbers, 9.3 per. Astros, Mets, and Braves all have teed off against him. He shut down the Nats and Marlins.....Very inconclusive to say he will be solid in the NL.
Not big money but he's a solid mid to end of a rotation pitcher. Not a flip player at least at first glance.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Pat,

Look at what the AL East does to pitchers.

Ryan Dempster went from a mid 2's ERA last season in the NL Central to a mid 4's ERA this year.
Ted Lilly went from a mid 4's ERA with the Blue Jays over 3 years to a mid 3's ERA during his seasons with the Cubs.
AJ Burnett went from a train wreck in NY to a near savior in Pittsburgh.
James Shields went from a high 3/low 4 ERA pitcher in Tampa Bay to a high 2's ERA guy for KC.

If Phil Hughes can be swayed out of NY, he appears to be the next guy to join this list.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/6/13/4415464/phil-hughes-yankees-baseballs-own-jekyll-and-hyde

Safe to say it is more than just "pitching in the AL East."

patg006

Liked Posts:
Ok. And where exactly has Mr. Hughes given up the most HR?

Career Home/Road Splits:

Yankee Stadium: 355IP 66HR
Everywhere Else: 349IP 35HR

Only Jekyll & Hyde there is his pitching in Yankee Stadium.

I see a player who's been in the league since 07 who has an incredibly inconsistent fastball that dooms him more than it saves him. And he hasnt worked to improve it or fix his release points, the cause of his Jeckyl/Hyde complex. Does Yankee stadium contribute? Yes--but thats not the point.

The point is he hangs his fastball (see the charts) in juicy, wheelhouse spots players take him yard on, a problem that dooms him and he hasnt worked to fix his release point problem...in his good starts he paints the corners, in his bad starts--he hangs them down broadway.

I think he could be a stud if he fixed it, but if he hasnt in 6 years, I dont like his chances coming in the future. Never saying never, but expect his jeckyl/hyde trend to continue outside of Yankee Stadium

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see a player who's been in the league since 07 who has an incredibly inconsistent fastball that dooms him more than it saves him. And he hasnt worked to improve it or fix his release points, the cause of his Jeckyl/Hyde complex. Does Yankee stadium contribute? Yes--but thats not the point.

The point is he hangs his fastball (see the charts) in juicy, wheelhouse spots players take him yard on, a problem that dooms him and he hasnt worked to fix his release point problem...in his good starts he paints the corners, in his bad starts--he hangs them down broadway.

I think he could be a stud if he fixed it, but if he hasnt in 6 years, I dont like his chances coming in the future. Never saying never, but expect his jeckyl/hyde trend to continue outside of Yankee Stadium

Hopefully to a lesser extent if he came here :D