Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the talking heads in Chicago's sports media for the most part have a glass-half-empty mentality unless the local sports team is really good. The national media doesn't have the time to invest in each team to fully understand all their strengths and weaknesses so they rely on the local media and their sources from each market to basically get a snapshot of each team and they run with it. By comparison, Marcus Mariota was the 2nd pick in the draft 5 years ago, has a 89.4 QBR and has had only 1 year with stats comparable to what Mitch had last year. I'm not comparing Mitch and Marcus in regards to talent or success level, I'm saying if Mariota was the Bears QB he would have been run out of town already by the local media and fans. With Mitch, the national media will tell you all the faults he has and will need to overcome to get to the next level. With Marcus, I have no clue why he isn't a better QB. I was actually surprised when I looked at his stats, I was expecting them to be much better. The national media really doesn't say anything bad about Mariota, he just has to take the next step this year if he wants a big contract next year. Kind of the same story with Winston, all I hear is he needs to cut down on his INT's and get to the next level this year to prove he's worth a big contract next year. Those 2 QB's are in their 5th year, Mitch is in his 3rd and local and national media have already stuck a fork in him.
Considering the % of teams and players that rise to the top of their respective totems vs the rest, it's a lot easier to look smart by being negative.