Mets interested in Castro

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@georgeofman: Told Mets targeting Starlin Castro. Jacob Degrom? Zack Wheeelr?

Noah Syndgaard would be another name to add to the list.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Old news. Not sure that the Cubs are going to do that yet.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That rumor keeps circulating and getting reinvented no matter whether it's true or not.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
That rumor keeps circulating and getting reinvented no matter whether it's true or not.

Yep, it's kind of silly in that the Mets can't really afford that deal. You're not going to trade an All Star SS straight up for Noah Syndergaard or even Jacob deGrom. Two pitchers and the Cubs might talk but the Mets would hang up the phone. So then what, do you say add Kevin Plawecki, who they would deal btw, to one of the pitchers and then what the Cubs add to Castro, Paul Blackburn? Jen-Ho Tseng? None of it really adds up and you just don't have an ideal trade scenario to make that work. Would the Cubs want one of those pitchers? Damn straight. Would the Mets like Castro? Absolutely, but finding an equable deal seems elusive and the Mets need to keep as much pitching as possible for budgetary reason. Bottom line: never gonna happen.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Doubt the Mets would be willing to part with more than one of those starters. Degrom would be great to pickup. Didn't see him pitch at all last year so don't know enough about him to make any judgements other than his stats.

I hope this doesn't happen, especially with all the risks that arise in young pitchers these days

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
@georgeofman: Told Mets targeting Starlin Castro. Jacob Degrom? Zack Wheeelr?

Noah Syndgaard would be another name to add to the list.

I can't see any of the three straight up for Starlin. But stranger things have happened.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I can't see any of the three straight up for Starlin. But stranger things have happened.

No the Cubs would never do that. If Castro goes it'll be in a deadline deal as a part of a bigger package or someone offers something stupid. The Mets would be boiled in their own pudding if they gave up two studs for Castro. I'm not even sure why the're so fixated on a SS.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
No the Cubs would never do that. If Castro goes it'll be in a deadline deal as a part of a bigger package or someone offers something stupid. The Mets would be boiled in their own pudding if they gave up two studs for Castro. I'm not even sure why the're so fixated on a SS.

I'm not sure the Mets would do it on their end. I could see the Cubs because of the quantity of SS that they have but that in effect hurts the value a tad in my opinion as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I already posted articles from Peter Gammons and others saying Noah Syndgaard for Castro straight up is laughable on the Cubs end. They believe Castro is still the SS of the future unless the Cubs get a ridiculous package which they dont believe the Mets could give. Its Mets fans and beat writers for the Mets that keep trying to give this fire. Everything I read is the Cubs have no plans to trade Castro. He was absolutely crushing the ball for the last month and a half or so before he got hurt. I expect a huge year from him next year. Im saying over a .300 BA with 15 to 20 homers and close to the lead in doubles again. Also, before Castro went down the zone was his bitch. He was laying off tough pitches. Driving the inside pitches and taking his walks. The Cubs would hang up the phone for a straight up trade like that. He is still only 25 and is now just going into his peak power years and signed to a friendly contract.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I already posted articles from Peter Gammons and others saying Noah Syndgaard for Castro straight up is laughable on the Cubs end. They believe Castro is still the SS of the future unless the Cubs get a ridiculous package which they dont believe the Mets could give. Its Mets fans and beat writers for the Mets that keep trying to give this fire. Everything I read is the Cubs have no plans to trade Castro. He was absolutely crushing the ball for the last month and a half or so before he got hurt. I expect a huge year from him next year. Im saying over a .300 BA with 15 to 20 homers and close to the lead in doubles again. Also, before Castro went down the zone was his bitch. He was laying off tough pitches. Driving the inside pitches and taking his walks. The Cubs would hang up the phone for a straight up trade like that. He is still only 25 and is now just going into his peak power years and signed to a friendly contract.

Like I said I am not sure the Mets would do it themselves. And yes this could very well be the year Castro passes Alexei at SS :soxtroll:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree more. Starlin Castro is veteran anchor (yes we can say that now with a straight face), signed to great deal and is poised to have a great 2015. they'll listen to offers for him but it would have to be stupid on the trade partner's end for them to bite. Now, I'm not sure he's at SS when Russell comes up and that infield could get crowded if Baez improves and Russell is ready in June (ish) but those are good problems.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I couldn't agree more. Starlin Castro is veteran anchor (yes we can say that now with a straight face), signed to great deal and is poised to have a great 2015. they'll listen to offers for him but it would have to be stupid on the trade partner's end for them to bite. Now, I'm not sure he's at SS when Russell comes up and that infield could get crowded if Baez improves and Russell is ready in June (ish) but those are good problems.

I dont see the Cubs moving him for Russell. They arent going to push him off mid season for a rookie whose D is plus but varies amongst scouts on how good he really is there. He can make the spectacular play then he can botch easy stuff. Not all agree his body will be able to stay at short as well. Theo said it best. If you can play SS, you can play anywhere and if the Cubs are committed to Castro being an anchor with Rizzo you dont move him off short until somebody absolutely forces it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think this sort of trade is incredibly unlikely for Castro. Put simply, there's no reason to trade a proven player for prospects(Baez/Russell/Alcantara) unless you're getting a ridiculous deal. However, I'll humor the argument. I'm not really all that interested in deGrom. His K rate this year isn't really reflective of his previous stints. I think he's probably more of a 3/4 going forward and I'd be afraid of a 26 year old having a career year pretty much out of no where. Wheeler is a bit more interesting but he still walks far to many batters. Noah Syndergaard is the one i like the best out side of Harvey. But you're not doing that trade straight up especially after the year Castro just had. If you package Syndergaard and Wheeler then maybe you have something to talk about but as I've said else where I'd be far more inclined to trade Baez at this point. Maybe you don't get as much in return but he's already been moved off SS and wasn't all that impressive defensively in injury time for Castro. It's great that Baez has all that power and what not but given the quality of hitting prospects the cubs have and the expectations on 2B in general now he's more a bonus if they keep him and he works out rather than a player you need to win.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I dont see the Cubs moving him for Russell. They arent going to push him off mid season for a rookie whose D is plus but varies amongst scouts on how good he really is there. He can make the spectacular play then he can botch easy stuff. Not all agree his body will be able to stay at short as well. Theo said it best. If you can play SS, you can play anywhere and if the Cubs are committed to Castro being an anchor with Rizzo you dont move him off short until somebody absolutely forces it.

You're right and we have no idea. I get a little giddy when I hear scouts whisper "Jeter" when it comes to Russell though. Going to be fun to watch it play out.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You're right and we have no idea. I get a little giddy when I hear scouts whisper "Jeter" when it comes to Russell though. Going to be fun to watch it play out.

Hope his glove is nothing like Jeter if they aren't specifying his bat.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't know why the Mets don't just go after Hanley Ramirez.

He's a big name.

He'll cost a lot of $.

His best years are behind him.

He's just the kind of acquisition they love.

greg23

Liked Posts:
its early, but likely that one of the following will be moved (castro-baez-Russell)........my prediction is baez.......maybe has the biggest upside but easily has the biggest downside with that swing and defense.....still young and could turn things around but he's my pick of the three to be moved.....maybe best suited in al in a hitters park (texas, boston, ny, etc)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
its early, but likely that one of the following will be moved (castro-baez-Russell)........my prediction is baez.......maybe has the biggest upside but easily has the biggest downside with that swing and defense.....still young and could turn things around but he's my pick of the three to be moved.....maybe best suited in al in a hitters park (texas, boston, ny, etc)

"likely" that one will be moved?

I would be SHOCKED of one of them is traded this offseason.