Mets interested in Castro

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
You're right and we have no idea. I get a little giddy when I hear scouts whisper "Jeter" when it comes to Russell though. Going to be fun to watch it play out.

I haven't heard the Jeter reference but I have heard the Barry Larkin comparison for Russell. I would take that everyday and twice on Sunday. If anything Baez would be the one to trade because he lacks the plate discipline necessary to succeed as of right now. He should get better now hta he has had his taste of the Majors but we will see when Spring Training rolls around.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I haven't heard the Jeter reference but I have heard the Barry Larkin comparison for Russell. I would take that everyday and twice on Sunday. If anything Baez would be the one to trade because he lacks the plate discipline necessary to succeed as of right now. He should get better now hta he has had his taste of the Majors but we will see when Spring Training rolls around.

Im sorry, but spring training means absolutely nothing. Its like the NFL preseason. I have seen guys bat .400 in spring training and not be able to hit their weight in the real season. Spring training is about working on your mechanics and trying to work on things you wouldnt work on in a real game. That goes from the pitchers to the batters. I remember Shark gave up like 7 runs in a spring training start. Why? He was working on a specific pitch.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Yeah, well that's just like, your opinion man.

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
Im sorry, but spring training means absolutely nothing. Its like the NFL preseason. I have seen guys bat .400 in spring training and not be able to hit their weight in the real season. Spring training is about working on your mechanics and trying to work on things you wouldnt work on in a real game. That goes from the pitchers to the batters. I remember Shark gave up like 7 runs in a spring training start. Why? He was working on a specific pitch.

Don't you think he would be working on his plate discipline in spring training then?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Don't you think he would be working on his plate discipline in spring training then?

That's pretty much what Theo and Jed have been saying about Baez all along yes. They purposely did not work on his swing or his plate approach in his call up last year. They said that out front. They said they wanted to see if his adjustment skills, which he showed at every promotion in the minors, would translate to MLB. They also said that the winter and the spring was the time to make changes. I suspect this kid has so much video in his laptop or tablet it's making his head spin. The other thing about Baez, and one of the things they like so much, is that the kid is a thinker and takes instruction well. All those things lead me to believe what Jed & Theo are saying about Baez. Of all the high quality players they have coming up Baez is the only one with a generational talent and it's bat speed. I've heard it said that scout see it once a decade or maybe a little more often that that but that most kids with that gift don't have the other skills to make it out of A ball. Baez has the other skills. You have to see what you have there, unless of course the FO is already sure and they ain't telling us that.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Why is this a topic?

Even if the plan is to get rid of Castro, it wont happen this year. And even so, you don't do it until you know you have something better. Addison Russell may not be the answer, Baez may nto be either. We don't know right now. We hope......because too much talent at one position is beneficial to the cubs, because you have trade bait for a position you need.

But lets keep this simple. You don't trade Castro until you know Russell is a sure thing or another play is. We dont, and it will take at least another year before we will know.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes, but how he hits in spring training will have almost no affect on what the Cubs think of him.

greg23

Liked Posts:
"likely" that one will be moved?

I would be SHOCKED of one of them is traded this offseason.

what I meant was eventually one of them will probably have to be moved (or one will be a bust)........so.......if one is traded, my prediction is baez........and that doesn't mean it's time to trade anybody this offseason.

as for baez, no problem giving him time next year but he needs to make MAJOR adjustments to stick in the majors......having a ton of power is worthless if you strike out 50% of the time and are below average defensively.