Mike Gundy interview on Teven Jenkins

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

This is MUST watch, got me fired up as Pace would say.

Highlights-

Gundy thinks he will be a better pro than Russell Okung who he coached and went 6th overall.

Said a couple years from now he wont be surprised if he’s considered the best OL from the draft class.

If Jenkins turns out to be a franchise LT, combined with Fields this could literally turn the franchise around.

? ?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lots of insight into his character in this interview, thank you.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:

This is MUST watch, got me fired up as Pace would say.

Highlights-

Gundy thinks he will be a better pro than Russell Okung who he coached and went 6th overall.

Said a couple years from now he wont be surprised if he’s considered the best OL from the draft class.

If Jenkins turns out to be a franchise LT, combined with Fields this could literally turn the franchise around.

? ?

He didn't say Jenkins will be a better pro than Okung. He said Jenkins has more talent. Whether or not he becomes a better pro depends on alot of other factors like coaching, scheme, teammates, etc.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it just me, or does Gundy make it sound like Jenkins has some motivational issues as far as football is concerned. I know he eluded to Jenkins not really believing he had a future in the NFL for a long time, but this makes it seem like it still hasn’t been fully resolved...

“When we asked him, and challenged him to be as good as he could be and dominate a player, we had a lot of success with him on those days.”

“He has to be challenges mentally. Hopefully, If that’s going to challenge him mentally (being passed over in the draft), it will really benefit the Chicago Bears”

“We’ve told him (Teven), guys that are at the level you’re trying to get to are trying to feed their families. They’re not just college kids on scholarships. And you’re going to have to to change your mental approach. I think that he’s making that change, but he’s not there yet. But as that staff there in Chicago learns to really push him...”

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suspect/hope he may simply rise to the level of competition. Mack should get him fired up. Who knows, maybe he can play LT and just needs to be more challenged there.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Is it just me, or does Gundy make it sound like Jenkins has some motivational issues as far as football is concerned. I know he eluded to Jenkins not really believing he had a future in the NFL for a long time, but this makes it seem like it still hasn’t been fully resolved...

“When we asked him, and challenged him to be as good as he could be and dominate a player, we had a lot of success with him on those days.”

“He has to be challenges mentally. Hopefully, If that’s going to challenge him mentally (being passed over in the draft), it will really benefit the Chicago Bears”

“We’ve told him (Teven), guys that are at the level you’re trying to get to are trying to feed their families. They’re not just college kids on scholarships. And you’re going to have to to change your mental approach. I think that he’s making that change, but he’s not there yet. But as that staff there in Chicago learns to really push him...”

not just you i heard that and alarm bells went off. He's a "laid back" guy...who only seems to get pissed off enough to go medieval every once in a while is what i took from it. I'm kind of shocked that there's a dude who was considered a 1st rounder who needs staff to push him. There are some grown ass men he's about to run into who aren't going to be fucking around with his Baby Huey ass.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lot of worrisome shit in this interview. Needs to be motivated. Basically quit on his team because he was going to be drafted. Eesh. Sounds like a head case. Still excited about him but this interview sure set off some red flags.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I was a little concerned too, but a lot of that sounded like a lack of faith in himself that he could compete at that level. Hoping that getting smacked around by guys like Mack will wake his ass up real quick.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

On the flip side of that, it sounds like he takes very well to coaching. Castillo seems like a good motivator, teaching him pro technique could turn him into a consistently good starter.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
not just you i heard that and alarm bells went off. He's a "laid back" guy...who only seems to get pissed off enough to go medieval every once in a while is what i took from it. I'm kind of shocked that there's a dude who was considered a 1st rounder who needs staff to push him. There are some grown ass men he's about to run into who aren't going to be fucking around with his Baby Huey ass.
I heard the same but if he just really needs to feel challenged then Mack, Hicks, and possibly even Quinn will push him during camp.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

Not motivational issues. It's a confidence issue which is common in really young athletes. If you don't believe you're good enough it's hard to play up to your potential. This is one of the biggest coaching points for college coaches. Above the X's and O's. Is finding what makes these kids tick and pulling it out of them. There's a direct correlation between confidence and drive.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not motivational issues. It's a confidence issue which is common in really young athletes. If you don't believe you're good enough it's hard to play up to your potential. This is one of the biggest coaching points for college coaches. Above the X's and O's. Is finding what makes these kids tick and pulling it out of them. There's a direct correlation between confidence and drive.
Still doesn’t change the fact that he ended his season early because of the draft. I mean I may not know all the details but on the surface that doesn’t strike me well.

not down on the pick.... I love it. But it’s just something give pause a bit is all.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still doesn’t change the fact that he ended his season early because of the draft. I mean I may not know all the details but on the surface that doesn’t strike me well.

not down on the pick.... I love it. But it’s just something give pause a bit is all.
So long as he gives a pause to defensive linemen and outside linebackers, I'm cool with it.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He didn't say Jenkins will be a better pro than Okung. He said Jenkins has more talent. Whether or not he becomes a better pro depends on alot of other factors like coaching, scheme, teammates, etc.

Forgive me I was drunk. But still cool.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

He ended it early because he has a back injury and wanted to heal up and train for the NFL.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He ended it early because he has a back injury and wanted to heal up and train for the NFL.
Again I don’t know the full details but when your coach says he would have preferred you played.....?‍♂️

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lot of worrisome shit in this interview. Needs to be motivated. Basically quit on his team because he was going to be drafted. Eesh. Sounds like a head case. Still excited about him but this interview sure set off some red flags.

In a draft conference call last week,
Daniel Jeremiah mentioned that Jenkins’ personality would turn some teams off of him. I guess this is what he meant, lol.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Small town guy. This kid is a coaches dream. All the talent in the world and just wants to be perfect and please the coaches. This is who Richie Incognito should have been schooling in Miami. He could have molded a HOF beast. Im kidding....But seriously, it seems like this kid is gonna play wherever the heck he puts his mind to.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Need our two picks to become the new miracle of this storied franchise. ( future HoF ers, like Butkus and Sayers )

This would sooooooo makeup for having the franchise with the most Different starting QBs over the last 55 years