Mike Gundy interview on Teven Jenkins

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the flip side of that, it sounds like he takes very well to coaching. Castillo seems like a good motivator, teaching him pro technique could turn him into a consistently good starter.

That’s where the untapped potential comes into play. If this dude brought his A game every week, he might have ended up being a top 10 pick.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol

Gundy basically calling the kid lazy over and over in this interview. And saying coaches have to light fires under his ass to get him to perform to his athletic potential.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it just me, or does Gundy make it sound like Jenkins has some motivational issues as far as football is concerned. I know he eluded to Jenkins not really believing he had a future in the NFL for a long time, but this makes it seem like it still hasn’t been fully resolved...

“When we asked him, and challenged him to be as good as he could be and dominate a player, we had a lot of success with him on those days.”

“He has to be challenges mentally. Hopefully, If that’s going to challenge him mentally (being passed over in the draft), it will really benefit the Chicago Bears”

“We’ve told him (Teven), guys that are at the level you’re trying to get to are trying to feed their families. They’re not just college kids on scholarships. And you’re going to have to to change your mental approach. I think that he’s making that change, but he’s not there yet. But as that staff there in Chicago learns to really push him...”

thats what I heard too

jerkstore

Liked Posts:

Listen to Jenkins talk about his approach and all will be well again.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lot of worrisome shit in this interview. Needs to be motivated. Basically quit on his team because he was going to be drafted. Eesh. Sounds like a head case. Still excited about him but this interview sure set off some red flags.
Nagy/Pace's excellent culture they have built will help!

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Is it just me, or does Gundy make it sound like Jenkins has some motivational issues as far as football is concerned. I know he eluded to Jenkins not really believing he had a future in the NFL for a long time, but this makes it seem like it still hasn’t been fully resolved...

“When we asked him, and challenged him to be as good as he could be and dominate a player, we had a lot of success with him on those days.”

“He has to be challenges mentally. Hopefully, If that’s going to challenge him mentally (being passed over in the draft), it will really benefit the Chicago Bears”

“We’ve told him (Teven), guys that are at the level you’re trying to get to are trying to feed their families. They’re not just college kids on scholarships. And you’re going to have to to change your mental approach. I think that he’s making that change, but he’s not there yet. But as that staff there in Chicago learns to really push him...”
Its somewhat of a concern, but for me, not as big of one.

The reasons are twofold - first, there is his play. No one was accusing him of taking plays off.

Second is his own quotes - he seems like he also is trying to motivate himself and take it to the next level. What this tells me is the kid is VERY coachable.

The Bears would have known all this before drafting him.