Mike Mayock says he would be scared to draft a QB in top 5

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think everybody is aware that if the Bears go QB at 3 it will be a reach.

But the question is are they so desperate or confident in their scouting to reach and make it work.

Of course we should be scared of all 3 of these guys in the top 10. All lack a ton of polish.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think everybody is aware that if the Bears go QB at 3 it will be a reach.

But the question is are they so desperate or confident in their scouting to reach and make it work.

Of course we should be scared of all 3 of these guys in the top 10. All lack a ton of polish.

A shot at Trubisky? Not cool.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Every team missed the mark on Prescott. Professional scouts and GMs passed on him multiple rounds. Mayock usually has a pretty good eye for QBs and a good feel for where they'll be drafted. Can't fault him for not having Prescott higher than #5 when every team in the league passed on him until the 4th round.
Prescott had a DUI arrest leading up to the draft that put teams off.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Prescott had a DUI arrest leading up to the draft that put teams off.

If teams had any inkling he'd be as good as he was his rookie year, they'd bat that DUI arrest off like fleas and draft him the 1st chance they had. He wasn't even a 2nd round prospect even before the arrest.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If teams had any inkling he'd be as good as he was his rookie year, they'd bat that DUI arrest off like fleas and draft him the 1st chance they had. He wasn't even a 2nd round prospect even before the arrest.

Actually, he was floating in the 2nd round range according to some in the know. Right wrong, or otherwise...Teams want as few warts as they can get when it comes to the potential face of the franchise. The arrest played a part in is draft stock. Plain and simple.

Ian Rapoport reported some teams took him right off thier draft boards because of it.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Actually, he was floating in the 2nd round range according to some in the know. Right wrong, or otherwise...Teams want as few warts as they can get when it comes to the potential face of the franchise. The arrest played a part in is draft stock. Plain and simple.

Ian Rapoport reported some teams took him right off thier draft boards because of it.

Let's assume he was a 2nd round prospect before the arrest...which is certainly debatable.....he went on to have one of, if not the greatest rookie seasons for a QB in history. Obviously, evaluating QBs is a tricky proposition. It'll be interesting to watch how Prescott plays next year and if he suffers from a sophomore slump. The more tape that is out on you, the harder it is to perform. I think he has the right tools around him though. The Cowboys had the perfect recipe for a rookie QB: A dominant OL, a dominant RB, and a very good receiving corp. Not to mention, a good defense. It's disappointing that Pace passed on Prescott, when even I thought he was a worthy target in the mid rounds, but considering how many times he was passed over, you can't fault him any more than any other GM out there.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does anyone intend to be a coward?

And yes I am overstating things because he overstated things. The point was technically the way he described things does meet the definition of cowardice but I presume he was using hyperbole to make a point as am I.

Sorry but I'm afraid that this sentence does not indicate cowardice or hyperbole. Figure of speech vs a strong condemnation.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Every team in the top 5 is scared to death to draft a QB

I would think a couple are excited to have a shot at their guy, whomever that is.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I would think a couple are excited to have a shot at their guy, whomever that is.

Certainly possible. However, when you look at the buzz out of SF that Shannahan needs a more experienced QB to run his offense, and that Pace/Fox feel pressured to produce wins sooner rather than later....I think the top 3 teams are very iffy on drafting a QB. Browns are going to take Garrett. The Jags have backed up Bortles, and the Titans have Mariota. Chances are pretty even that a QB will not be drafted in the top 5. Teams recognize that all these QBs need at least 1-2 years on the sideline to pickup the pro game...and even after that seasoning, they're still major crap shoots. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how many of the top QBs fall.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No guts, no glory.

all-guts-no-496zwc.jpg

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Certainly possible. However, when you look at the buzz out of SF that Shannahan needs a more experienced QB to run his offense, and that Pace/Fox feel pressured to produce wins sooner rather than later....I think the top 3 teams are very iffy on drafting a QB. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised how many of the top QBs fall.

I have to disagree with this. I think if Pace/Fox get a more experienced QB and then they have another sub .500 season they are done. However if they draft a young guy and he isn't a total bust but has a sub .500 season then they have bought at least another year or 2.

This is also why I like they will have to avoid Kizer and Watson. Too many red flags. Garoppolo and Trubisky are the safest plays.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Let's assume he was a 2nd round prospect before the arrest...which is certainly debatable.....he went on to have one of, if not the greatest rookie seasons for a QB in history. Obviously, evaluating QBs is a tricky proposition. It'll be interesting to watch how Prescott plays next year and if he suffers from a sophomore slump. The more tape that is out on you, the harder it is to perform. I think he has the right tools around him though. The Cowboys had the perfect recipe for a rookie QB: A dominant OL, a dominant RB, and a very good receiving corp. Not to mention, a good defense. It's disappointing that Pace passed on Prescott, when even I thought he was a worthy target in the mid rounds, but considering how many times he was passed over, you can't fault him any more than any other GM out there.

the Bears don't exactly have what the Cowboys have. like, not even close. it's easy to see when one team goes 13-3 and the other goes 3-13. on which planet was Dak Prescott going to perform at the same level with the 2016 Chicago Bears as he did with the 2016 Dallas Cowboys?

it's a moot point whether the Bears drafted him or not. it's the same as the Bears drafting Rodgers in 2005. he wouldn't be the same player.

it's funny how about 2 weeks ago people were calling Pace dickless if he didn't draft a QB at #3 and now it's looking like everyone's more on board with a FA and skipping drafting a QB at #3. what the fuck is it? seriously. if the floor of any quarterback you can draft this year is the same in rounds 1-3, I say you pass on drafting one with the #3 pick and get a monster defensive player. the defense is still a work in progress. until they can consistently harass offenses in their backfield and field a secondary that can force turnovers, that's a priority still. the Chicago Bears aren't losing games exclusively due to QB play. they're losing them because they're losing the turnover battle every week.

if the quarterbacks the Bears have used consistently throw about 4 interceptions a game like Barkley and lose by like 28 points, I'll buy your theory. they're still narrowly losing games that they can win if they'd beat the fuck out of other teams offenses and strip the ball from them.

on the contrary, I think anyone who's anyone is on board for a gamechanger QB. a healthy offensive line, Jeffery, Meredith, White, and Howard coupled with someone who won't routinely shit the bed sounds pretty potent to me.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Problem is, Myock is not alone is saying stay away from this QB draft class. Former Colts GM said stay away from Tribinsky and Kizer because they are miles away from being NFL ready. Watson gets talked about at #2 only because he has a winning intangible. ESPN's other draft "guru", has it Watson at 2 and Tribinsky at 12, then nothing qb wise in the 1st. Has the Bears taking Allen at pick3.

The only consensus is, bad draft class for the QB.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jets love Trubisky. He's not getting past 6 but I'm hoping that's actually #3. None of us will know about it until the draft if Pace is smart.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
If we don't have a QB by the time our first pick is through, we will be forced to trade back into the first round because every team that needs a quarterback is going to leapfrog us in the 2nd. Something to keep in mind. And if you're worried about draft value with reaching for a QB early, then you'll have to pay for it later since it won't be cheap to trade back into the first, especially when teams know you're desperate for a QB and there's a guy on the board.

Not saying we should take one with our first pick, but just pointing out the reality of the situation when you're dumb and back yourself into a corner.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Pat Mahomes - QB - Red Raiders
Appearing on the Setting the Edge Podcast, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport revealed some NFL evaluators consider Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes as the top QB in the draft.
The hosts of the podcast suggested Mahomes might be a pick for the Cardinals in the second round, with Rapoport interjecting "if he makes it to round two." The first round quarterback discussion largely centered around Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky and DeShone Kizer, but it might be time to throw Mahomes' name in the hat. Mahomes is a completely unique player, so some teams will fall in love and others will rank him outside of the top five prospects at the position.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pat Mahomes - QB - Red Raiders
Appearing on the Setting the Edge Podcast, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport revealed some NFL evaluators consider Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes as the top QB in the draft.
The hosts of the podcast suggested Mahomes might be a pick for the Cardinals in the second round, with Rapoport interjecting "if he makes it to round two." The first round quarterback discussion largely centered around Deshaun Watson, Mitch Trubisky and DeShone Kizer, but it might be time to throw Mahomes' name in the hat. Mahomes is a completely unique player, so some teams will fall in love and others will rank him outside of the top five prospects at the position.

He's the 2nd coming of Cutler, which is why a team will most definitely fall in love with him.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He's the 2nd coming of Cutler, which is why a team will most definitely fall in love with him.

Mahomes is much less NFL ready than Cutler was, he will need at least one year. I would still like to see the Bears get him in the 2nd if he lasts that long, I don't think he will. The only way the beloved get Mahomes is a big trade down from 3 or a trade up from the 2nd round.

This guy has the biggest gap between floor and ceiling of any QB in the draft, but that ceiling is so high, the way he dismantled the Oklahoma defense was amazing. It's just pure potential because he only made half field reads in college and his footwork falls apart, I think that's the Cutler part.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oklahoma's defense was terrible last year. They gave up 40 to Texas.

OU's defense was ranked 69th in the nation in points against.

Even ND's wasn't that bad.