Mike & Mike think we cut Cutler within a week or so

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Sometimes I want to take the emo teenagers who post here, put them in a time machine to the 90s and early 2000s, and show them what "epically bad" QB situations really look like when it comes to this team. Zero perspective.

Will that somehow magically change how inefficient and turnover prone Cutler has been in his tenure as a Bear?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Sometimes I want to take the emo teenagers who post here, put them in a time machine to the 90s and early 2000s, and show them what "epically bad" QB situations really look like when it comes to this team. Zero perspective.

Having watched those years I was obviously pumped when the Bears made the trade for Cutler as he was the most talented QB we had in my lifetime. After 6 years shitting the bed against the packers, throwing the same boneheaded interceptions, failing to improve simple fundamentals that are essential to QB success and only one playoff appearance to show how much different is Cutler from any other average QB?

You speak of perspective but fail to recognize the results produced year in and year out are average and at times considerably below average. The only category Cutler has consistently been a top 5 or even a top 10 guy is turnovers, and not in the good way.

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Then why did they trade him for nothing? I know they had a dumb GM but there had to have been some other reason.

They didn't, the Bears gave up a two 3rd round picks for Marshall (2012 and 2013). I would call that something, even though the Dolphins ended up with nothing when they used the picks. I even think they traded one of them away.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

The situation was hideous back then.
But the truth is that they tried to improve, and you could actually hope it would work out.
Kramer Kreig, Miller, Stewart, McNown, Grossman, Mirer... didn't work out. But they did not accept repeat failures.

Clinging to Cutler after 2013 was as dumb or dumber than the 1 year deals given to orton and grossman to see who could suck less.
10 years from now, this deal will look just as stupid or maybe more so than any period in the bears history at the position.
9-7 or 5-11 really will not matter in the long run... and I was ready to watch the team go 4-12 with a new, young player with potential at the quarterback position.
But whoop-de-do... lets keep the broken down turnover machine and go 5-11!

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I will never understand the argument that because the Bears have had consistently worse QBs than Jay, that we should somehow accept and be happy with him now, even though he's clearly not getting the job done. It's looney bin thinking. It's the kind of thinking that keeps people in dysfunctional relationships that are clearly unhealthy and don't provide happiness, because their past relationships were even worse. You don't stay in the relationship and hope to find something better, you get the hell outta there.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Will that somehow magically change how inefficient and turnover prone Cutler has been in his tenure as a Bear?

I hear Adam Gase has a book called "Finding Free Safety: A step by step program to help you see the existence of Free Safety for even the biggest of non-believers". I think that would do Jay a lot of good.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:

Never said Cutler doesn't suck and that I wouldn't be happy if he's gone, but some perspective is needed here. Jonathan Fucking Quinn. Chad Hutchinson. Moses Moreno. Guys who when they trotted out there, you just hoped they didn't put our defense on its heels with their backs against the wall. Let's get some perspective, here, is all I'm saying.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Having watched those years I was obviously pumped when the Bears made the trade for Cutler as he was the most talented QB we had in my lifetime. After 6 years shitting the bed against the packers, throwing the same boneheaded interceptions, failing to improve simple fundamentals that are essential to QB success and only one playoff appearance to show how much different is Cutler from any other average QB?

You speak of perspective but fail to recognize the results produced year in and year out are average and at times considerably below average. The only category Cutler has consistently been a top 5 or even a top 10 guy is turnovers, and not in the good way.

Jesus Christ. You don't have to defend Cutler to make the statement that our QB situation has been worse than shit for 15-20 years. Not saying I want to stick with him now or that he's been adequate, but when those jokers were out there, I literally had zero hope we could win the game. Anyone that would say differently isn't old enough to have watched that shitstorm or has a selective memory.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesus Christ. You don't have to defend Cutler to make the statement that our QB situation has been worse than shit for 15-20 years. Not saying I want to stick with him now or that he's been adequate, but when those jokers were out there, I literally had zero hope we could win the game. Anyone that would say differently isn't old enough to have watched that shitstorm or has a selective memory.

I saw the shit storm and what you should realize is a lot of it was from backups who were never intended to be starters and the Bears had several opportunities to hit on a great QB but simply passed them up either out of stupidity or cause they were waiting for a Rex Grossman to develop.

The Bears now have a QB who led the league in turnovers and if they're afraid to move on from a QB like that, they deserve to lose.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Never said Cutler doesn't suck and that I wouldn't be happy if he's gone, but some perspective is needed here. Jonathan Fucking Quinn. Chad Hutchinson. Moses Moreno. Guys who when they trotted out there, you just hoped they didn't put our defense on its heels with their backs against the wall. Let's get some perspective, here, is all I'm saying.

What's the perspective we are needing here? That we Bears fans should be happy with mediocrity because Cutler isn't as bad as Quin/Hutchinson/Moreno?

For example, let's say you eat a bologna sandwich every day for lunch for 10+ years and then you start eating a bologna sandwich with cheese on a baguette. You won't be any happier eating bologna if you add cheese and a different type of bread. Has the the bologna sandwich been upgraded? Sure you can say it is a better bologna sandwich. But no matter how you look at it there are better cuts of deli meat out there that will satisfy your appetite much better.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

None of those names or experiences are relevant.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What's the perspective we are needing here? That we Bears fans should be happy with mediocrity because Cutler isn't as bad as Quin/Hutchinson/Moreno?

For example, let's say you eat a bologna sandwich every day for lunch for 10+ years and then you start eating a bologna sandwich with cheese on a baguette. You won't be any happier eating bologna if you add cheese and a different type of bread. Has the the bologna sandwich been upgraded? Sure you can say it is a better bologna sandwich. But no matter how you look at it there are better cuts of deli meat out there that will satisfy your appetite much better.

I look at it more like this:

You eat a bologna sandwich for 10 years because the only way to get your food is from a random drawing. There are more bologna sandwiches than any other type of sandwich. Then one time, you luck into a bologna sandwich with cheese. You can now pay extra and keep that bologna sandwich with cheese. You know that the bologna sandwich with cheese is rarer than the likely plain bologna sandwich. But you are tempted to take your chances as getting a random drawing at an unlikely steak and lobster. But if you don't get it, you can never pay for it. You are stuck with more plain bologna sandwiches.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
You guys are completely missing the point of what I'm saying - if you look at what I originally said in my "emo teenagers" comment (did I hit a little close to home with that one for some of you?), I was criticizing the use of the term "epically bad" to describe what we have now. What we had then is "epically bad"; what we have now is frustrating, usually average, and not satisfying especially in terms of leadership at the QB position, but it's not "epically bad". I get fed up pretty quickly with this tendency toward hyperbole in our current society - everything is not the best thing ever or the worst thing ever with no in between. That's pretty much par for the course around here lately.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I look at it more like this:

You eat a bologna sandwich for 10 years because the only way to get your food is from a random drawing. There are more bologna sandwiches than any other type of sandwich. Then one time, you luck into a bologna sandwich with cheese. You can now pay extra and keep that bologna sandwich with cheese. You know that the bologna sandwich with cheese is rarer than the likely plain bologna sandwich. But you are tempted to take your chances as getting a random drawing at an unlikely steak and lobster. But if you don't get it, you can never pay for it. You are stuck with more plain bologna sandwiches.

But at least you'd be paying fair price for the bologna

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Everyone was excited abou the Cutler trade.

Then he need got any better in 6 years.

Now it is time to move on and find someone else.