Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This guy can't stay healthy. Would rather restructure Bennetts contract than take a chance on Miller. Give Bennett more up front money and see if he shuts up.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This guy can't stay healthy. Would rather restructure Bennetts contract than take a chance on Miller. Give Bennett more up front money and see if he shuts up.

Give Bennett more money after his worst season in 5 years? Hmm...I'd say probably not a good idea. You don't cave into whiners like Marty. He was a no show in the off-season, and according to reports, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way last season. Coach Fox and teammates, mainly. That doesn't warrant a pay increase. Options for Marty

1. Shut up, be a good soldier, and produce like a professional
2. Traded for a late round pick
3. Released

I'd prefer option 1 but I'm not sure if that's possible. Sit him down, remind him he's under contract that he agreed to, and if he plays like he should, he'll have a nice pay day coming to him the following year. Whether from the Bears or someone else. If he wants to pout and/or not buy into the team's philosophy, I'd show him the door.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Please keep your idiotic drivel in the Bulls forum. Thank you.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Please keep your idiotic drivel in the Bulls forum. Thank you.

Another great post, Novak. You provide so much insight and substance to the forum.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think Bennett will give Briggs-like effort if Miller gets a new deal...and that's if Bennett hasn't already mentally checked out for 2016. I thought Bennett was a productive player for the Bears, and probably still should be, but there is too much Brandon Marshall in him to think of him as an asset for the upcoming season. I think its going to be a tough situation for the Bears to figure out what the best way is to handle Bennett.

Agreed. It's a very tough situation for the Bears. However, in a contract year, you really put the pressure on Marty to produce and be fully committed to the team because he's playing for a new contract. Do you roll the dice there? Obviously, you have to have a sit down with him, lay everything out on the table, and go from there.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How can Pace give Miller 5 million a year for an often injured TE who is the wrong side of 30? Miller is out of his mind. At least Bennett did perform. Give him up front money add and extra million or 2 on 3 year deal. If he doesn't perform this year. Bye. Whats an extra million or 2 to billionaires.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
How can Pace give Miller 5 million a year for an often injured TE who is the wrong side of 30? Miller is out of his mind. At least Bennett did perform. Give him up front money add and extra million or 2 on 3 year deal. If he doesn't perform this year. Bye. Whats an extra million or 2 to billionaires.

That's not really the point. You don't want to start a precedent. Especially as a first time GM. Bennett just had one of his worst seasons as a pro. Yes, he was injured towards the end, but you can't reward him and give him extra money for that. He signed a contract. He agreed to the terms. He has ZERO leverage. It's pretty simple, really. He can remain with the team , perform, and then hit the open market next season and cash in then (if he plays well). He could be traded and still play out his contract for another team. Or he could be cut. Those are his options.

You're also assuming he would be happy with an extra 1-2 up front and doesn't want a longer, more lucrative deal with more guarantees. Which in all likelihood, is the case. The only thing that matters is gtd money. 1-2 extra million isn't very persuasive.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most importantly why is Rory back?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Miller keeps it together for one season and now wants a payday.

Bears 2015 34 for 439
previous best season
Jaguars 2009 21 for 212

GTFO

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Urblock, you deleted a picture of a handful of Nutella.
This mod thing my be going to your head.:thinking:
I was eating and didn't look at it that close. Sorry.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most mods wanted to give him another shot. Provides good and interesting posts most times.

We lose HHM, Grimson, Lance, and we get Rory?

That is one hell of an upgrade.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

It is.

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Per sportrac the Bears were $3.6M under the salary cap in 2015. It's important to know that cap room does move to the next year so it can be used, but I'm pretty sure at the end of the 2016 season the Bears will have additional cap room again.

What does that extra cap space get you? Did that $3.6M in space help get a win on the field? No. It's not an exact measure, but was that money that the ownership essentially didn't have to accuont for as an expense? Yes. With the revenue number being what it is does that mean the ownership will keep a bit more? Yes. Will you as a fan see that money either as a better product on the field or in ticket prices being lowered? No.

IMO if teams were to spend to the cap then it's more of a fight for limited resources. Teams are choosing to not pay these players because they would rather have cap space, which ultimately the fans never get the benefit of.

Last year there were 3 teams with $20M+ in cap space available (Jax. Cle, and Tenn). They all sucked. Meanwhile the 2 teams closest to the limit, Arizona and Seattle, just happened to be two of the better teams in the league.

If you have a talented player on your team that can help you win you should pay them. Granted players will always ask for more, but as Windy pointed out that's the negotiation process. If a player is a FA and is getting offered more from another team then why should they stay? Clearly the other team wants them more, so they are entitiled to get paid more in a place they are appreciated more.

As a fan if you feel that player can make your team better why do you care how much he's being paid? Seriously. If the team is winning who cares what he's being paid. If they are losing then they can easily cut him for underperforming. These contract have little long term guarantee, so you can easily make that move when needed, but whenever a player threatens to hold out fans act like the player just cheated on them.

Let's use my Eagles as an example. Jeremy Maclin left the team because he was ~$1M/season 'too expensive'. Eagles finished the season with $9.5M under the cap (and $18.9 in dead cap space). Maclin's cap number for 2015 was $3.4M. Last year we lead the league in drops with 66, didn't have a real impact WR, lost twice to Washington in a very winable NFCE race and are going through a complete overhaul.

Maclin was ~$1M/season too much... Okay.... As a fan I'd rather they have paid the money and not put me through such a shitty season.

Let's take my Maclin example and look to apply it to Miller or maybe a closer comparison, Jeffery. What's $1M/season if that player gives you a better chance of getting a win on Sunday? Would you rather have 'cap space' for future contract than talent on the field? I get you want to align cap space with future expenses like a franchise QBs contract or another big contract coming due, but that ~1M/season impacts the quality of the product this season, not in future years where it might make a difference.

This was one great post. Good job!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This. The one year Miller doesn't get injured, he benefits from every other receiver being injured. Also, 34 catches is not that impressive considering the circumstances.

Miller played pretty damn well. He didn't get much action when Bennett was healthy and they hardly ever used him in a two TE alignment did they? Frankly, I am glad that Gase left and hope that the new OC will have a bit more offensive energy than he did. I think that he and Mariani showed themselves as guys who were counted out yet proved themselves. Pay him.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not a rewards program. You paid for expected returns. End of story.

Did the guy not produce when they played him? Sure he did. Does he deserve $5M......No. but he deserves a good bump. Yeah, they are taking a chance but they take chances in every damn salary that they agree to.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did the guy not produce when they played him? Sure he did. Does he deserve $5M......No. but he deserves a good bump. Yeah, they are taking a chance but they take chances in every damn salary that they agree to.

Who would you choose to give a bump in salary? Bennett who stayed healthier and played well in two of the 3 years he was here, or Miller who played well this year but never played a full year healthy? Bennett is on the last year of his contract. Why not pay him? He is a hell of a blocker. Add another 2 years for 7-8 million a year add give a signing bonus. Graham for Seattle got 9 mil a year and is really an below average blocker. Yes Bennett is a character but is a talented character.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It is.

Sent from the mod station in Nome, Alaska.

Yeah, that Rory is a laugh riot. Perma the funniest guys on CCS and replace them with a total stiff.

Good football talk from Rory, but if you think that dead fish will rebuild traffic....

Good luck, really.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So a disagreeable post that agrees with me and you didn't even know you did that. Great shit.