Mina Kimes insists Justin Fields is best QB situation NFC North

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I heard someone on the radio mention that at the worst, Fields is Daunte Culpepper
As long as the Bears can get him Moss and keep him ASHORE. Id be fine with that.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Bears
  • Weather - Well, it's the windy city and it's earned that name. I'd add, all the 'QBs go to Chicago to die' does carry some weight when 1/2 your games are on Soldier Field.
  • Draft - Trading away the 2022 first and forth isn't great. Many feel based on the number of JRs that returned to school to build their draft profile it could be a stacked group.
If only the Bears had a QB who's used to playing in the Midwest.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When you have someone referring to the “Windy City“ thinking it is based on weather, you know you’re dealing with expert analysis.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Mina is extremely smart and unlike 99% of the sports world she's a legit journalist.

I somewhat disagree with her assessment, but that's just my opinion. Here's my take on all 4 NFC North spot with respect to the QB position:

Lions
  • Current roster talent - They are the worst. Really not much to get excited about.
  • Leadership - This might be the main problem with the franchise. They have a long history of being hands off and not holding GMs accountable. Their cap situation is good, but that's largely because they aren't that talented.
  • Salary Cap - Currently have 6th most cap room and In a good spot, but it's largely because they don't have many good players. 2022 actually has them with a relatively low amount of $, which is weird for such a crappy team.
  • Playing conditions - They play in a newer dome, so fairly consistent. I should say, this impacts players differently. It can form a specific team advantage for some, but certain QBs work best in consistent weather conditions.
  • Draft - They traded away their 2022 forth, got the Rams first rounder and an extra 7th

Bears
  • Current roster talent - Offensively ARob, Mooney, Graham and Kmet are good and the defense could easily be top 10. If you remove ARob and Graham next year things look worse, but that's an unknown.
  • Leadership - You know about Virginia, George and Ted, so that's what it is. It's important to know there isn't much job security for Nagy or Pace.
  • Salary Cap - 2021 is pretty much done. Had to cut Fuller, which was unfortunate. In short, there won't be much cap room carrying over, but 2022 looks good.
  • Weather - Well, it's the windy city and it's earned that name. I'd add, all the 'QBs go to Chicago to die' does carry some weight when 1/2 your games are on Soldier Field.
  • Draft - Trading away the 2022 first and forth isn't great. Many feel based on the number of JRs that returned to school to build their draft profile it could be a stacked group.

Packers
  • Current roster talent - Probably the best right now, even without Rodgers, but certain contracts are coming due soon. Their OL is probably the best in the Division.
  • Leadership - Well, the whole Rodgers situation does show some of the inherent problems with their ownership model where there's no single individual you can appeal to if the GM is fucking things up.
  • Salary Cap - They have no money this year and predict to be ~$32M over the cap next year. They are boned there especially if they have to eat Rodgers' dead cap space.
  • Weather - It sucks, but it appears it creates a home field advantage. I do think with how Rodgers and before that Favre really excelled in the choppy weather we think any Packer QB can play well there. I have no idea how Jordan Love will perform under those conditions.
  • Draft - They look to have all their picks, but this could materially change if they trade Rodgers. I'm sure some team will go dumb trying to trade for him.
Vikings
  • Current roster talent - Offensively they are looking good for a few years with Cook, Jefferson and Smith. Defensively it's a work in progress.
  • Leadership - Spielman has been accumulating future assets. Organizationally they seem to be in a decent situation overall.
  • Salary Cap - They are better than the Bears this year and quite a bit worse next year.
  • Weather - They are a dome team, so fairly consistent.
  • Draft - Next year they lose either their 3rd or 4th due to the Yannick trade, but might also get a 5th.
Dude, I hope when Foles leaves, that you stick around....

I know it is not "Bears" football, but do the NFC East.....

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Imagine blaming a bunch of shitty QB play in wind.

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Dude, I hope when Foles leaves, that you stick around....

I know it is not "Bears" football, but do the NFC East.....

I was here long before Foles came, so I doubt I'll leave when he's gone.

As you wish:

Cowboys
  • Current roster talent - Offensively, one of the best in the league. Defensively last season was statistically that franchise's worse group that ever took the field and somehow they might be worse. I don't understand why this team keeps investing heavily in line backers when most teams play in nickel more than base? One item to watch is that vaunted OL isn't what it was. Both Tyron Smith and Zach Martin are 31 and having issues staying healthy. Smith specifically has had back issues pop up regularly. Without an OL that entire offense will look a lot worse.
  • Leadership - Jerruh is the king and everything follows his lead. The issue I've had with their structure is that he undermines his coach regularly, which is why he often has a coordinator acting as a head coach. One thing I'm curious about is how the transition of power will happen between Jerruh and his son Stephen Jones. Jerruh is 78, so he's pushing hard to win while he still has the capability to celebrate the victory. I'm not sure what Stephen Jones will do when he has full control. Time will tell, but I can imagine that will happen in the next 2-3 years.
  • Salary Cap - They are pretty much flat this year and predicted to be $23M OVER the cap in 2022. They will probably end up cutting or restructuring Zeke/Cooper/Martin/Smith/Lawrence.
  • Playing conditions - Indoor stadium, so no issues there. I've been to games and it's such an 'NFL experience' going to their home field I'm not sure how much of a home field advantage they have. It's a destination for opposing team fans, so it's not really that loud.
  • Draft - They have almost all their 2022 picks, so let's say it's 'normal'. On a side note, they are regarded as a team that always drafts 'chalk', which is best player available. The issue I've seen recently is they become very predictable and teams are starting to grab players right before their pick. This year it was corners. A couple years ago it was TE. When you combine this with their lack of cap space it creates holes in the roster without a quick way of adding talent.
Giants
  • Current roster talent - They have some great offensive weapons, but it all will come down to if Daniel Jones can take the next step. IMHO this is a make or break year. Defensively, not very good. Some nice pieces, but there's a lack of DL and secondary that can't be denied.
  • Leadership - It's the Dave Gettlemen show. For how dumb he comes across he's actually made some good moves and you can see his philosophy shift a bit. He's doing a good job, but if he missed on Jones they could be stuck a bit.
  • Salary Cap - Giants have no money this year and no money next year. Not including rookie contributions, their team essentially is what it is.
  • Playing conditions - Outdoor stadium and good fans. I'm not sure their current roster is built to play outdoors, but that's what they got.
  • Draft - Man, they are set up really well for 2022. They will have 2 firsts, 1 second, 3 thirds, 2 forths then their remaining picks. They are really set up to fill a lot of holes in the next draft.
Washington
  • Current roster talent - IMHO the most talented roster in the division. Their DL might be the best in the NFL. The only thing they are missing is a QB. I love it when Fitzpatrick dresses up for a press conference and think his personality is great for the game, but at the end of the day his risk/reward style of play isn't good for consistently winning football games. For as many chances as he's had he's only played 16 games 3 times in his career and only one of those seasons he had a winning record (10-6).
  • Leadership - Ron Rivera has completely rebuilt that team's identity. Traditionally it was Snyder making bad football decisions while hiding behind GMs who are more PR scapegoats than team builders. Under Rivera they have something. Part of me wonders how long Dan Snyder can stay in the shadows and not negatively impact this team? He was very hands off with former coach Joe Gibbs, so maybe this is something he does from time to time? Who knows. As a fan of a division rival I do prefer when it's the Snyder circus and every offseason we get to watch some Stockholm syndrome battered fans congregate around a dumpster fire for warmth.
  • Salary Cap - They have $16M this year and $60M in 2022. The issue is when their contracts are coming due. In 2022 that will be the start of their DL coming off their rookie contracts (Jonathan Allen). After that the 2023 year will be rough, so they will have to save some $ to keep them. The side item is their cap space looks good, but that's without a QB. Ideally they would draft someone, but unless it's a high pick how can they develop that person before the rest of the team gets expensive? It will be tricky.
  • Playing conditions - Landover sucks. Their stadium is one of the most outdated in the league and the owner won't put any money into improving. He's been trying to get back to Washignton, but wants the city to pay for everything. I'd add, when the team is bad their fans completely abandon the team.
  • Draft - They have all their picks except the 5th they traded to the Eagles.
Eagles
  • Current roster talent - They are strong in the trenches and have a lot of question marks outside of that. WRs are very young, which makes them an unknown. QB is on an audition year, so this can go one of two ways.
  • Leadership - Howie Roseman is the face of the organization, but I'd say he's an extension of the owner. Philly media hates him, but he's shown to be a tireless worker who adjusts style as needed. This past draft was far more collaborative and they 'stuck to their board' more than previous drafts, so there's an evolution that's happened.
  • Salary Cap - They have nothing this year and $22M next. Not much, but still harboring some dead cap space from all the cuts/trades (Wentz, Jeffery, Malik and Desean Jackson).
  • Playing conditions - Outdoors and I'd define the fanbase as 'passionate', which is definitely a two sided sword.
  • Draft - In 2022 they have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. 3 of those can be first rounders if the Wentz escalators kick in (plays 75% of snaps OR 70% of snaps AND Indy makes the playoffs). No team has the draft capital the Eagles have for 2022, so if Hurts is a hit, they build around. If not, they have picks to trade up or trade for a player.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If only the Bears had a QB who's used to playing in the Midwest.
Oh, so all Chicago had to do was draft people that already played in the region. I wonder why they've never thought of that in the past?

My point is simple, when you think of the Bears it's tough defense, run game and lacking QB play. That whole mantra feeds into the playing conditions for QBs being difficult for both Bears and their opponents. I'll be honest, I have no idea why the Bears can't get a QB to stick while GB, with comparable weather conditions, seem to be fine. It's just one of those things I can't fully explain, but just because I can't doesn't mean it's to be ignored.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Oh, so all Chicago had to do was draft people that already played in the region. I wonder why they've never thought of that in the past?

My point is simple, when you think of the Bears it's tough defense, run game and lacking QB play. That whole mantra feeds into the playing conditions for QBs being difficult for both Bears and their opponents. I'll be honest, I have no idea why the Bears can't get a QB to stick while GB, with comparable weather conditions, seem to be fine. It's just one of those things I can't fully explain, but just because I can't doesn't mean it's to be ignored.
Bears have a shitty stadium and shitty field, no doubt. But it's not because of the Chicago weather. Also, that weather has nothing to do with the Bears being unable to find a good quarterback.

Plenty of places have shitty weather but good QBs, as you've noted. That's all I meant.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I was here long before Foles came, so I doubt I'll leave when he's gone.

As you wish:

Cowboys
  • Current roster talent - Offensively, one of the best in the league. Defensively last season was statistically that franchise's worse group that ever took the field and somehow they might be worse. I don't understand why this team keeps investing heavily in line backers when most teams play in nickel more than base? One item to watch is that vaunted OL isn't what it was. Both Tyron Smith and Zach Martin are 31 and having issues staying healthy. Smith specifically has had back issues pop up regularly. Without an OL that entire offense will look a lot worse.
  • Leadership - Jerruh is the king and everything follows his lead. The issue I've had with their structure is that he undermines his coach regularly, which is why he often has a coordinator acting as a head coach. One thing I'm curious about is how the transition of power will happen between Jerruh and his son Stephen Jones. Jerruh is 78, so he's pushing hard to win while he still has the capability to celebrate the victory. I'm not sure what Stephen Jones will do when he has full control. Time will tell, but I can imagine that will happen in the next 2-3 years.
  • Salary Cap - They are pretty much flat this year and predicted to be $23M OVER the cap in 2022. They will probably end up cutting or restructuring Zeke/Cooper/Martin/Smith/Lawrence.
  • Playing conditions - Indoor stadium, so no issues there. I've been to games and it's such an 'NFL experience' going to their home field I'm not sure how much of a home field advantage they have. It's a destination for opposing team fans, so it's not really that loud.
  • Draft - They have almost all their 2022 picks, so let's say it's 'normal'. On a side note, they are regarded as a team that always drafts 'chalk', which is best player available. The issue I've seen recently is they become very predictable and teams are starting to grab players right before their pick. This year it was corners. A couple years ago it was TE. When you combine this with their lack of cap space it creates holes in the roster without a quick way of adding talent.
Giants
  • Current roster talent - They have some great offensive weapons, but it all will come down to if Daniel Jones can take the next step. IMHO this is a make or break year. Defensively, not very good. Some nice pieces, but there's a lack of DL and secondary that can't be denied.
  • Leadership - It's the Dave Gettlemen show. For how dumb he comes across he's actually made some good moves and you can see his philosophy shift a bit. He's doing a good job, but if he missed on Jones they could be stuck a bit.
  • Salary Cap - Giants have no money this year and no money next year. Not including rookie contributions, their team essentially is what it is.
  • Playing conditions - Outdoor stadium and good fans. I'm not sure their current roster is built to play outdoors, but that's what they got.
  • Draft - Man, they are set up really well for 2022. They will have 2 firsts, 1 second, 3 thirds, 2 forths then their remaining picks. They are really set up to fill a lot of holes in the next draft.
Washington
  • Current roster talent - IMHO the most talented roster in the division. Their DL might be the best in the NFL. The only thing they are missing is a QB. I love it when Fitzpatrick dresses up for a press conference and think his personality is great for the game, but at the end of the day his risk/reward style of play isn't good for consistently winning football games. For as many chances as he's had he's only played 16 games 3 times in his career and only one of those seasons he had a winning record (10-6).
  • Leadership - Ron Rivera has completely rebuilt that team's identity. Traditionally it was Snyder making bad football decisions while hiding behind GMs who are more PR scapegoats than team builders. Under Rivera they have something. Part of me wonders how long Dan Snyder can stay in the shadows and not negatively impact this team? He was very hands off with former coach Joe Gibbs, so maybe this is something he does from time to time? Who knows. As a fan of a division rival I do prefer when it's the Snyder circus and every offseason we get to watch some Stockholm syndrome battered fans congregate around a dumpster fire for warmth.
  • Salary Cap - They have $16M this year and $60M in 2022. The issue is when their contracts are coming due. In 2022 that will be the start of their DL coming off their rookie contracts (Jonathan Allen). After that the 2023 year will be rough, so they will have to save some $ to keep them. The side item is their cap space looks good, but that's without a QB. Ideally they would draft someone, but unless it's a high pick how can they develop that person before the rest of the team gets expensive? It will be tricky.
  • Playing conditions - Landover sucks. Their stadium is one of the most outdated in the league and the owner won't put any money into improving. He's been trying to get back to Washignton, but wants the city to pay for everything. I'd add, when the team is bad their fans completely abandon the team.
  • Draft - They have all their picks except the 5th they traded to the Eagles.
Eagles
  • Current roster talent - They are strong in the trenches and have a lot of question marks outside of that. WRs are very young, which makes them an unknown. QB is on an audition year, so this can go one of two ways.
  • Leadership - Howie Roseman is the face of the organization, but I'd say he's an extension of the owner. Philly media hates him, but he's shown to be a tireless worker who adjusts style as needed. This past draft was far more collaborative and they 'stuck to their board' more than previous drafts, so there's an evolution that's happened.
  • Salary Cap - They have nothing this year and $22M next. Not much, but still harboring some dead cap space from all the cuts/trades (Wentz, Jeffery, Malik and Desean Jackson).
  • Playing conditions - Outdoors and I'd define the fanbase as 'passionate', which is definitely a two sided sword.
  • Draft - In 2022 they have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. 3 of those can be first rounders if the Wentz escalators kick in (plays 75% of snaps OR 70% of snaps AND Indy makes the playoffs). No team has the draft capital the Eagles have for 2022, so if Hurts is a hit, they build around. If not, they have picks to trade up or trade for a player.
Being here in Maryland, and I have friends that are fans of Philly, WFT, and my son is a huge Dallas fan, so I watch the division as a whole. It was the arm pit of the NFL this year, but this is a really great break down of what the teams look like now and how they can make changes in the future.....

My take for the Teams for this coming season is:

Cowboys: Dak is going to improve the offense all by himself, and the draft included 11 picks and the went with defense on the first 6 picks and all those were in the first 115th picks (3 3rd round picks). So they attacked the draft hyper focused on defense.

I think they could be the most improved if the line can stay healthy.

Giants: They picked up a injured WR in the draft, and failed to address the O-line and I think that Jones and Barkley are going to struggle because of that. But picking up the Bears 1st rounder for 2022 was very smart. I think they still struggle on both sides of the ball this year and will need the 2022 draft to try and get themselves out of the cellar.

WFT: They had 10 draft picks, but without taking at least a shot at QB it appears they are going to lean on Defense (they have a good one) to win them a lot of games. I could see them having some Fitzmagic, but how long will that last? They are going to be a decent team this year and could compete for the division.

Philly: The entire draft other than Smith (loved that pick for Hurts), was focused on bolstering the strength of both trenches...I think this is the way to build a SB winning team, it seems like they are pretty confident with Hurts.

They will be as good as Hurts is this year. I like him and think he will take the next step, but like you said if he does not, then they have the ammo to get a QB next year.

I think the division in general will be much better...