MLB Draft starts tonight at 7 eastern on espn

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I may miss it due to my sleep being a bit wacky atm but i'll throw up typical scouting stuff later. Probably more useful for the later day picks than 1st round

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs took Matt Shaw. Kind of looks like a power speed guy but might not hit for average. Sounds like he's a definite 2B nothing better.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Actually reading different things on his hit tool. I've also heard he could be a slightly under slot guy.

Edit: just looking at his stats he had a really strong bb/k rate in the big 10. His 3 year total was 11.56%/15.09% with this past season being even better at 13.56%/13.25%. So I'm starting to be more inclined to believe the 55 grades i've seen on his hit tool as opposed to the 45 that fangraphs had given him. More i look into him the more i feel like he's a pretty interesting bat held back a bit by his defense but in this case it's mostly his arm and maybe his glove because he has decent speed and is apparently really athletic.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
It only took years of me complaining for the cubs not to draft soft-tossing pitcher after soft-tossing pitcher who always seem to have great things said about them, especially on draft day like how fast they'll move through the minors (IE Burl Carraway, Ryan Jensen) before they disappear into the minors, seemingly never to be seen or heard from again.

I finally got one. I love the Jaxon Wiggins pick. He's preinjured (TJ in January), but was trending up after a rough freshman season in 21.

Fastball 65 (sits at 95-97 and hits 99-100), Slider 55, change 55, curve 50 (mlb.com eloquently describes as a 'downer-upper' on his scouting report tab, which I don't know if this is the new fancy way to say 12-6 or if this is another variation of a curve). Control an issue. Would love to see developed into TOR, but bullpen is probably where the kid starts. He misses a lot of bats, something the cubs haven't had in a minute.

Not crazy about Shaw, but expectations must be tempered when you're picking in the teens. Saw one comp to Ian Happ, and another to Neil Walker. His power in college leagues the past 2 years everybody gushes about disappeared in Cape Cod summer league.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keith Law had Shaw as his 7th best prospect. He said the fact that he played shortstop is what hurt his stock. Said if he played second base all spring he’d be a top 10 lock. All-star bat.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It only took years of me complaining for the cubs not to draft soft-tossing pitcher after soft-tossing pitcher who always seem to have great things said about them, especially on draft day like how fast they'll move through the minors (IE Burl Carraway, Ryan Jensen) before they disappear into the minors, seemingly never to be seen or heard from again.

I finally got one. I love the Jaxon Wiggins pick. He's preinjured (TJ in January), but was trending up after a rough freshman season in 21.

Fastball 65 (sits at 95-97 and hits 99-100), Slider 55, change 55, curve 50 (mlb.com eloquently describes as a 'downer-upper' on his scouting report tab, which I don't know if this is the new fancy way to say 12-6 or if this is another variation of a curve). Control an issue. Would love to see developed into TOR, but bullpen is probably where the kid starts. He misses a lot of bats, something the cubs haven't had in a minute.

Not crazy about Shaw, but expectations must be tempered when you're picking in the teens. Saw one comp to Ian Happ, and another to Neil Walker. His power in college leagues the past 2 years everybody gushes about disappeared in Cape Cod summer league.

So a guy in 136 AB who had 17 extra base hits out of 49 total hits for a .574 SLG is power disappearing? That's only 50 points less than his college rate. He also seems to be fairly effective at stealing bases.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean i get your point with this but I don't think Carraway and Jensen are making it. Neither were soft tossing. Jensen is hitting 99 still and is still a prospect of note although more a reliever at this point and not quite living up to what you'd hope out of a 1st round pick. He was always a bit of a gamble that he would develop because he was really only a 2 pitch guy in college. Carraway on the other hand just hasn't had any control. He had a 70 grade fastball coming out.

I think the point you make is valid though. Cubs used to draft a ton of sinker ball pitchers who were low upside "high" floor but really never amounted to much. Keegan Thompson is probably the best of this bunch but even then you'd like more.

As for Wiggins I'm of two minds. I *think* he's probably an underslot guy given he's recovering from TJ. Depending on how that shapes out I like the move. Reminds me a bit of what they did with Will Frisch last year in drafting a guy who is hurt but had way more upside. I've read he was a potential 1st round type had he pitched this year. However, there's also the possibility that cubs aren't saving money on wiggins which.... if that's the case it seems very early to me.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
So a guy in 136 AB who had 17 extra base hits out of 49 total hits for a .574 SLG is power disappearing?
In 62 college games this year, 24 home runs. In slightly over half the games (36) in CCL last summer, 5 home runs. Last year college, 60 games, 22 home runs. You want to address this and surmise why my skepticism of his power disappearing is misplaced outside of college or just talk out of your ass on something I never said?

I said nothing of extra-base hits, total hits, or slugging. If you want to argue with a wall over a point I never made--go have fun, skippy.

Carraway and Jensen are making it. Neither were soft tossing.
Coming out, each threw consistently lower 90s and could 'touch' mid-90s. I haven't followed Jensen, so I didn't know he could hit 99 in AAA right now. I call pitchers who consistently stay in the 90-94 mph zone soft tossers.

As for Wiggins I'm of two minds. I *think* he's probably an underslot guy given he's recovering from TJ. Depending on how that shapes out I like the move. Reminds me a bit of what they did with Will Frisch last year in drafting a guy who is hurt but had way more upside. I've read he was a potential 1st round type had he pitched this year.
In fall league before his TJ, pundits/scouts had him as a 1st rounder. Obviously, injury happened and cubs get him in one of the round 2s but agreed on underslot.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
In 62 college games this year, 24 home runs. In slightly over half the games (36) in CCL last summer, 5 home runs. Last year college, 60 games, 22 home runs. You want to address this and surmise why my skepticism of his power disappearing is misplaced outside of college or just talk out of your ass on something I never said?

I said nothing of extra-base hits, total hits, or slugging. If you want to argue with a wall over a point I never made--go have fun, skippy.

Coming out, each threw consistently lower 90s and could 'touch' mid-90s. I haven't followed Jensen, so I didn't know he could hit 99 in AAA right now. I call pitchers who consistently stay in the 90-94 mph zone soft tossers.

In fall league before his TJ, pundits/scouts had him as a 1st rounder. Obviously, injury happened and cubs get him in one of the round 2s but agreed on underslot.

You said his power disappeared. I quoted you. I pointed out he had a pretty good SLG in the CCL as extra base hits are examples of power. No need to get you knickers in a bunch over the reality that I pointed out your original post is a Great Value level one, Jif. You also conveniently leave out that in 2021, he hit more HR in fewer games in the PGCL than he did in college that same year. It's almost as if the lack of HRs in the CCL was the outlier the past 3 seasons versus being the norm.

If you want to argue that you only meant in terms of HRs hit, look at your own wall.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Alfonsin Rosario looks super interesting. Ran a 6.7 60 yard which is 60 grade speed, has an elite arm and has big exit velo. Sounds like he's more a RF than CF prospect but he'll be one to keep an eye on. Think he's their Mule version of this year. Guy with huge tools who you hope to develop

milfandcookies

Liked Posts:
Burl Carraway has never ever been categorized as a “soft tosser ”

Many flaws, but throwing soft is not one of them. I think he was thinking of somebody else