MLBTR's Top 50 FA (Plus Team Predictions)

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/2014-top-50-free-agents-with-predictions-1.html

A couple of interesting notes:

This article was written by Tim Dierkes, the site owner, who is a Cubs fan. He sees the Cubs taking 2 of the top 50: #26 Joaquim Benoit, and #50 Chris Young. He clearly isn't buying into the ownership spending more.

Tanaka is on the list @ #5. Dierkes has him going to the Dodgers.

Top 5:
Cano - Yankees
Ellsbury - Mariners
Choo - Tigers
McCann - Rangers
Tanaka - Dodgers

This is really just an educated guess by Dierkes, but he clearly knows his stuff. In the words of Tom Jackson, "I'm not saying it's something....it's just something..."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Last years predictions were pretty much off. Not looking too deep into early bird views.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
50. Chris Young - Cubs. Young, 30, joined the Athletics via trade a year ago but had a lost season that included a DL stint for a quad strain. He should be able to serve as a lefty-mashing quality fourth outfielder who can handle all three positions, with the upside to play himself back into regular duty. He could join Ryan Sweeney in a platoon with the Cubs, while the Mariners and Phillies could also work.

I see Schierholtz more likely but I doubt the Cubs are going to pay into a 20-30% of a platoon split. They accepted that mistake and traded out Scott Hairston. Was not worth the cash spend for the P/T. I expect a player in league mins. This prediction I do not believe will happen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
26. Joaquin Benoit - Cubs. MLBTR readers prefer Balfour to Benoit, though they're both quality late-inning options who will get multiyear deals. Benoit, 36, set the market for setup men three years ago with a three-year, $16.5MM deal, and with 24 saves under his belt in 2013 he could earn that much or more for two years. The Cubs figure to add relief help of some sort, while the Tigers, Yankees, Indians, Angels, Mariners, Astros, Phillies, Brewers, Dodgers, and Rockies will also be in the market.

Maybe on this one. I would guess if Bard bounces back the need lessens. What they need is a 8th inning guy if they decide to use Pedro as their closer. If they decide Pedro is a set up and not a closer they need to spend on a proven closer instead. If that is the case they should splash there into a higher ended one.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
26. Joaquin Benoit - Cubs. MLBTR readers prefer Balfour to Benoit, though they're both quality late-inning options who will get multiyear deals. Benoit, 36, set the market for setup men three years ago with a three-year, $16.5MM deal, and with 24 saves under his belt in 2013 he could earn that much or more for two years. The Cubs figure to add relief help of some sort, while the Tigers, Yankees, Indians, Angels, Mariners, Astros, Phillies, Brewers, Dodgers, and Rockies will also be in the market.

Maybe on this one. I would guess if Bard bounces back the need lessens. What they need is a 8th inning guy if they decide to use Pedro as their closer. If they decide Pedro is a set up and not a closer they need to spend on a proven closer instead. If that is the case they should splash there into a higher ended one.

Closers are soooo sketchy, though. With us at least 2 years from contending -- I'm not sure a high-end closer is the best use of funds, though I agree the bullpen needs work.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Closers are soooo sketchy, though. With us at least 2 years from contending -- I'm not sure a high-end closer is the best use of funds, though I agree the bullpen needs work.

I can see that. It would make sense to put Bard out there as the 8th inning guy with Strop in the 9th.

Right now I see in the pen:

CL: Strop

RH SU: Bard
LH SU: Russell

RHMR: Rondon
RHMR: Villanueva
RHMR: Grimm

LHMR: Rosscup

Challengers: Raley, Cabrera
60 day DL: Fujikawa and Vizcaino

If Bard bounces back they can wing that pen and let some arms mature.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I can see that. It would make sense to put Bard out there as the 8th inning guy with Strop in the 9th.

I'm very skeptical of Strop as a full time closer. What are your thoughts on him?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

That bullpen would get destroyed.