Monday practice thread

Newblood

Liked Posts:
It's odd that today was so quiet on the twitter front. Usually there is something we get but today was eerily quiet. I think there's a. Little more than 20 total tweets from the beat writers today, not counting the same injury report that everyone started off practice with. It's as if everyone gave up today.

That's funny, since I only follow like 3-4 beat writers on twitter and just looked at my phone and have 60 new tweets.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
306 Pictures I took at camp.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.812947738747708.1073741828.113494615359694&type=1

Just got back here and my main points of emphasis from watching the practice 20 yards away from the action....

Defensive line play is not going to be an issue at all this season, we are stacked. Guys like Houston, Willie Young, Allen, etc. are going to create serious issues. Allen and Houston are superstars. Seeing a lot more energy exerted by Allen compared to what I saw from Peppers last year when I was at camp. Cutler was on point all practice outside of 2 passes. He hit Brandon Marshall right in the hands twice for touchdowns and he dropped them. Marshall had a rough day but....it happens. Jeffery sat out so Cutler really relied on Martellus Bennett a lot in his absence. David Fales, while he has no shot at the backup shot, should be a practice squad guy. He's picking things up and has done well from what I've seen of him.

Physically, Shea McClellin looks to be in perfect shape for Linebacker. This says nothing about his play but he's in very good shape and moved well in drills. Kyle Fuller opening up his hips when playing off and getting into his back pedal was absurd how quick it was, I now see why he was taken in the 1st round. I think that pick is going to produce Pro Bowls for fuller.

Safety play was pretty blah today. Nobody really made any big plays, Kelvin Hayden intercepted a pass off a tip but...not a safety. Cutler abused the slants and seam routes. Clausen threw a TD in the 2 minute drill to Josh Bellamy I think? where it looked like Cover 2 and the safety help didn't get over in enough but it was also a great thrown ball.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutler abused the slants and seam routes.

Hmmmm...linebackers struggling in pass protection or Cutler exploiting the lack of Tim Jennings?

BTW...nice camera work, Peter Parker.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're welcome. That was for free

Dennis-Miller-2.jpg

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Hmmmm...linebackers struggling in pass protection or Cutler exploiting the lack of Tim Jennings?

BTW...nice camera work, Peter Parker.

You couldn't play better defense really, it was just Cutler and this offense playing well.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Jeff Dickerson on waddle and Sylvie was saying that Washington still has no idea how to use his arms but has been looking great on the ST unit. Also says Ego is trying to figure out the mixture of speed and balance and is falling flat on his face a lot.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
You couldn't play better defense really, it was just Cutler and this offense playing well.

That's really an uplifting thing to say about both sides of the ball. And it doesn't sound like false optimism. This season is definitely gonna be enjoyable to watch.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't believe that is a real article.

Actually I take that back, I can believe it. Unfortunately.

Edit: and as a disclaimer, I didn't make it past the title...

"Jay Culter taking second-team snaps. Demotion looming?"

Moon Mullin bringing his top-tier spelling skills as always.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4693274/bears-camp-report-day-4

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Chicago Bears training camp:
Expectations are sky high for a Bears offense that ranked No. 2 in the NFL last year in points scored (27.8 per game) and No. 5 in passing yards (267.6 per game), but the opening four days of practice have produced a mixed bag of results from a unit that is expected to return all 11 starters. Monday’s performance was no different. At certain points of the session, quarterback Jay Cutler ran the offensive scheme to perfection, firing completions to wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Marquess Wilson and tight end Martellus Bennett that went for huge gains. On the flip side, Cutler badly underthrew Marshall on a deep route into double coverage that should’ve been intercepted by Bears defenders who were stationed in the area. Veteran cornerback Kelvin Hayden later picked off a deflected Cutler pass in full-team 11-on-11, Hayden’s third interception since the start of camp. There were also batted-down balls at the line of scrimmage and botched snaps from the center to the quarterback that resulted in Cutler describing the offense as “good and bad.” Cutler continued: “That is to be expected taking the time off in July. We’re getting better and better. There’s been some sloppy stuff out there. We’ve got to clean it up. I think the guys are doing a really good job of just recognizing the plays and getting lined up and knowing the concepts and knowing the checks and everything. So if we just clean up some of the little things as we go, we’ll be all right.”

The Bears desperately need their top three draft choices to step in and make immediate contributions on defense. First-round pick cornerback Kyle Fuller looks the part and continues to receive extensive reps on the first team in base and nickel with Tim Jennings temporarily sidelined due to a sore groin. Third-round choice Will Sutton got thrown into the fire on Monday at three-technique defensive tackle as the coaching staff decided to give Jeremiah Ratliff a veteran’s day off. Sutton appeared to hold up OK versus the heightened competition. Rookie nose tackle Ego Ferguson flashes the ability to get up-field in one-on-one individual pass-rush drills, but Ferguson has ended up on the ground on at least three separate occasions since the pads came on. Ferguson needs to find the perfect combination of speed and balance to ensure he doesn’t take himself out of the play when games begin for real next month.

Fans chanted “Mega-Punt” whenever first-year punter Pat O'Donnell connected with the football on Sunday. Not to be outdone, punter Tress Way won the matchup between the two aspiring kickers on Monday. As a sixth-round draft choice, O'Donnell is considered the favorite to win the job, but Way has proved to those in the organization that he is an NFL-caliber punter. Even if Way is eventually released, he can still make it in the league. Former Bears “camp legs” have found gainful employment in the league: Spencer Lanning (Cleveland Browns) and Ryan Quigley (New York Jets).

Most of the wideouts competing for the final roster spots have done little to distinguish themselves. The two exceptions are Eric Weems and Chris Williams. Not only are Weems and Williams natural fits in the return game, they have managed to catch the football in camp. The other reserve receivers have been plagued by drops.

Pro Bowl right guard Kyle Long (viral infection) visited doctors on Monday, but the team cannot say if Long will be back on the field when it returns to work on Wednesday. With Long out, the Bears have worked various combinations at guard, with Eben Britton, Michael Ola and Brian de la Puente all seeing time with the starters.

Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery (sore foot), receiver Terrence Toliver (toe), safety Chris Conte (PUP) and safety Craig Steltz (PUP) were all spectators on Monday.

The Bears are off on Tuesday. The next practice is scheduled for Wednesday at 9 a.m. CT.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
any news on how Ka'Deem has looked so far?

JD today said he hasn't "noticed" him and he isn't getting a lot of snaps. Also said that he hasn't seen any of the RB's exploding through the hole including Forte. Come pre season I think is when we will see the value of Carey.

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
any news on how Ka'Deem has looked so far?

Arthur Arkush ‏@ArthurArkush 1h
Ka'Deem Carey showed really nice burst upfield, wiggle between defenders after 1 catch. He's going to be upgrade, I think. #Bears

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Arthur Arkush ‏@ArthurArkush 1h
Ka'Deem Carey showed really nice burst upfield, wiggle between defenders after 1 catch. He's going to be upgrade, I think. #Bears

This stuff confuses me Becuase sometimes you hear contradicting reports. Iv heads that Wilson has been great and also that he is having a quiet camp.