More Uncertainty Labeled as " A Success ?"

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Theo Epstein pleased but realistic after a July full of Cubs fortune

BY TONI GINNETTI tginnetti@suntimes.com August 2, 2013 11:40PM

No wonder team president Theo Epstein happily points to July as having been an all-around winning month for the Cubs.

The team signed top collegiate hitter and No. 2 overall draft pick Kris Bryant, stockpiled more young pitching arms in its farm system through trades, saw its major-league club post a winning record and won City Hall approval of long-sought Wrigley Field renovations.

‘‘It’s been a great month for the Cubs,’’:fap: Epstein said Friday before the Cubs fell 6-2 to the visiting Los Angeles Dodgers. ‘‘Right now, it’s a good time for people who are wanting things to go well and looking for progress to seize onto it.’’:fap:

But there’s always a ‘‘but’’ — the one Epstein says the organization, as much as fans, must remember.

‘‘It’s an important time to remind everyone and ourselves that the progress won’t be linear,’’ he said. :fap:

‘‘There are going to be other really bad months. There are going to be prospects who go through difficult months, half-seasons and seasons. And you think, ‘Hey, you thought these guys were going to be impact guys, and now they’re scuffling. What’s going on?’ There are going to be times we have really difficult times in the big leagues. Unfortunately, just like a player’s development, the progress of an organization isn’t always linear.’’:dunno:

Keeping a volume of young pitching prospects and maintaining a development process throughout the farm system continues to be the Cubs’ focus. That’s still the ideal in baseball, even for teams such as the Dodgers that have the option of being big spenders to augment their rosters.

‘‘I’m a big believer in Theo and [general manager] Jed [Hoyer] as people and professionals,’’ Dodgers president Stan Kasten said, ‘‘and also in what their plan is and going about the exact right way, in my estimation — and they’ve made real progress. I love the moves they’ve made this month. So I know they’re going to have success here. I think that’s the right way to do it.’’:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

Kasten built the once-struggling Atlanta Braves into the National League powerhouse of the 1990s largely on pitching and a farm system that produced steady quality.

Times have changed since then in baseball’s financial structure and operational rules. It can take longer now to reach sustained success.

Kasten has been able to tap into the Dodgers’ lucrative television resources to help turn things around quickly this season.

‘‘But if I could choose one or the other — and almost every franchise does have to choose — I would choose the Theo and Jed plan because that’s what I believe in as well,’’ he said.:dilfer:

Epstein won’t even estimate when the Cubs will turn ‘‘potential’’ into ‘‘contender’’ because he can’t.

‘‘I think it’s easier when you look at our prospects’ development to pinpoint when they might get here than when we might have a winning young team,’’ Epstein said. ‘‘Those are two different things. When you look at teams historically that have had five or six impact young prospects come up at the same time, they don’t automatically start winning right away. We’re trying to get ahead of that and thinking about ways to create a winning environment. :oprah:

‘‘There are going to be peaks and valleys, but right now we’re excited about certain things that happened this month, even as we brace for what’s an uncertain future. You keep working hard and taking advantage of every opportunity we have going forward.’’
:harden::cum:http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/21692023-573/theo-epstein-pleased-but-realistic-after-a-july-full-of-cubs-fortune.html

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
wrig224

Robin Ventgura had an incident earlier in year where he criticized a player for not running out a ground ball to 1st. The Sox look worse now than they did then ( not just my opinion) .A manager has to be careful putting down a player publically like Ventura and Sveum both did. I think Sveum will get by with it and team will accept it... I m guessing Ventura is paying a price.

Sveum has a knack of explaining what happened and we can judge oursleves who's to blame.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where did you find a post by wrig?

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
wrig224
7 hours ago

Cubs whole team feel dissed because Cardinals moved their Ace Wainright up to miss the unworthy Cubs series so he could go against 'the important' series against Pittsburg. .Best not to wake up a sleeping team. Dont know if Cubs can sweep (AT ST LOUIS),but it's fun to be given a chance!. Thanks Cardinal decision makers!

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Melissande
13 hours ago

Calm down wrig224! Breathe in & out three times! Things wouldn’t be looking so bleak for you and the Cubbies if you had pay attention to what I told you ages ago: KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED ON THE LOLLIPOP MAN! You have only yourself to blame for the way the situation has turned out! I should have remembered what your former wife, Sally “The Laughing Hyena”, your former mother-in-law, Gina “The Wild Whale”, and your former roommate, Jose Luis “The Patagonian Mistake” told me in confidence about you. If I had, I wouldn’t have wasted my time on you! It is just like your first cousin, Manuel “The Fruitcake from Barcelona” and your former best mate, Oleg “The Russian Gargoyle” say: Live & Learn!

patg006

Liked Posts:
Well, given the choice between wrig, bearz99, hurricanedj, and the scrub--I choose a shotgun to the face.....

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
wrig224
4 hours ago

From Cubs official web page:

Barney entered Sunday's game against the Cardinals batting .212 overall, but he's hitting .255 with runners in scoring position with two outs, and .278 in close and late situations. On Saturday, he delivered a game-tying two-run double with two outs in the eighth, and then scored on pinch-hitter Dioner Navarro's RBI double.

Sveum goes on to say he doesnt pinch hit for Barney because he usually makes contact. By defintion Barney is the ulimate clutch hitter but doesnt get due credit because his overall average is less than impressive. But he hits when it really counts( = clutch). Along with his defense,he's a player I personally would go just to see play. He makes some beautiful stops and incredible acrobatic throws..One of the beauties of baseball is great infield defense .Barney makes one great stop and throw just about every game.Nothing like the beauty of tight infield defense.

Rizzo is also a very good defensive 1bman and thats the first tthing I noticed about him..that he was already a very good baseman,when he first played in Majors and if he ever gets his power hitting going consistently..wow.. Castro has noticeably improved on both offense and defense plays with more confidence lately. Eager to see what happens with 3rd base next year.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
wrig224
18 hours ago

Of course Im a "homer". Isnt that what all Cub fans are? I even have a big W I hold up when Cubs win at Wrigley. My whole family is just like me! This is the only kind of Cub fan I know.... signed wrig224..

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Melissande
19 hours ago

I go to whatever board I please! As far as I know this board is not “off limits” to non-Cubs fans! Why are you calling me the hypocrite of the year? All I wrote in my post to wrig224 is the truth and nothing but the truth! This is the trouble with all of you, the moment anyone tells you the truth, you immediately start hurling ugly names, and confusing the issue. You willingly refuse to see the forest for the trees. Go to dictionary.com and look up the meaning of the world “hypocrite.” By their definition (and by everyone else’s, the only “hypocrite” here is you! And, as for taking my meds, when you overdose on yours, maybe I’ll take mine!

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Melissande
23 hours ago

TO WRIG224:

Apparently you think that the Cardinals “disrespected” the Cubs because they changed their pitching rotation so that their ace Wainright can pitch against the Pirates instead of the Cubbies, PLEASE GET A LIFE! The Cardinals are fighting for their 2013 baseball life, and in order to stay alive, the Cards have to beat the Buccaneers. There is simply no other way for the Cards. With Wainright pitching, they have a much better chance to win. Everyone knows that, and there’s no team that wouldn’t have done what the Cards did (including the Cubs!) It seems to me that the Cubs and their fans have forgotten what it is to be in a race (since you haven’t been in one for such a long time, you’re all suffering from self-induced amnesia!) You and the Cubs should stop behaving like “shrinking violets” once and for all! Stop looking for silly excuses to start nonsensical feuds, and start concentrating on your team’s many problems, and maybe next year, the Cubs can have a much better season. (Hear, hear Nate Schierholtz!!!) Let the Cardinals be!

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
HurricaneDij39
10 hours ago

patg006, either talk baseball or get the hell off our page. We don't need your frontrunning ass our your personal issues.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
I'm not entirely sure what happened here or what these previous posts were...

In regards to Theo trying to create a "winning environment," my fear is that the prospects and players that have already been here before that happens, such as Castro and Rizzo, will be so used to losing that they lose that drive to win and become complacent. Maybe it's already happened.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I'm not entirely sure what happened here or what these previous posts were...

In regards to Theo trying to create a "winning environment," my fear is that the prospects and players that have already been here before that happens, such as Castro and Rizzo, will be so used to losing that they lose that drive to win and become complacent. Maybe it's already happened.

My fear is that free agents are going to be very expensive if the Cubs want them. They are definitely not creating a winning environment suitable to draw themselves any attention from real ML ballplayers.

Maybe Donnie Murphy will become the next Mike Schmidt for the next five years. Someone's eventually going to throw away part of a piece of pizza with some pepperoni still attached to it.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
My fear is that free agents are going to be very expensive if the Cubs want them. They are definitely not creating a winning environment suitable to draw themselves any attention from real ML ballplayers.

Maybe Donnie Murphy will become the next Mike Schmidt for the next five years. Someone's eventually going to throw away part of a piece of pizza with some pepperoni still attached to it.

That's a great point and a valid concern. What legit player would come here besides money now? If they don't start winning soon and creating that atmosphere, we could be in for a long, fruitless ride.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
That's a great point and a valid concern. What legit player would come here besides money now? If they don't start winning soon and creating that atmosphere, we could be in for a long, fruitless ride.

Which is why there is value in winning more games, even if it doesn't result in a trip to the playoffs or World Series.

BillikenBear

Liked Posts:
Which is why there is value in winning more games, even if it doesn't result in a trip to the playoffs or World Series.

Yes, but if it's not capitalized upon within a couple of years, sustained mediocrity without the playoffs can be as effective a deterrent as being god awful, without the benefit of a high draft pick (and we both know you can draft quality players outside of the top 10, we don't need that discussion again lol). Let's see what happens when Theo has an open check book to work with.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

But we're winning more games than last year.... and everyone keeps saying the team isn't making progress.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
But we're winning more games than last year.... and everyone keeps saying the team isn't making progress.

And again, most of those wins came with Garza and Soriano on the roster.

Both are gone, and we're seeing the team nosedive as a result.

Basically this team is winning despite selling off assets at the MLB level.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:

How fucking hard is it to win more games than last year and still tank this season also. This "winning" season wasn't by design. They don't give a shit about trying to win. They tell you it's all going to probably happen later and most people are actually buying it. They didn't try last year or this one.

You want to give Command Central a fucking medal for this putrid shit.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
How fucking hard is it to win more games than last year and still tank this season also. This "winning" season wasn't by design. They don't give a shit about trying to win. They tell you it's all going to probably happen later and most people are actually buying it. They didn't try last year or this one.

You want to give Command Central a fucking medal for this putrid shit.

No we just want you to have consistency in how you analyze the team. You and other constantly harp that the only thing that matters is wins at the major league level. This team is going to win more games which means they are better than they were last year by the measure you said was the only thing that mattered.