Most Overpaid Players

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Marcin Gortat mid-level deal lol

Anderson Vejao close to 50 mil plus he had to have made 30 mil.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
varejao definitely, he does nothing. he's a POOR man's joakim noah, and noah's agent will tell us that.

Liked Posts:
Apparently Jonathan Bender only has 1,335 career points?

That can't be true...he played 7 years in the league. Guys score 8 times more than that in one YEAR! Wilt Chamberlain had more points than that in 2 games one year.

1,335 points for a 7-year career?

They broke up "The Davis Brothers" to bring him in and win the next couple of championships and the guy doesn't even crack 1500 career points!? He's almost in the Uwe Blab/Christian Welp statistical category.

Sad.

In any case i dont think he cares. His 30 million must be keeping him pretty happy!

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Frank Breakfast-Styleham wrote:

That can't be true...he played 7 years in the league. Guys score 8 times more than that in one YEAR! Wilt Chamberlain had more points than that in 2 games one year.

They broke up "The Davis Brothers" to bring him in and win the next couple of championships and the guy doesn't even crack 1500 career points!? He's almost in the Uwe Blab/Christian Welp statistical category.

Sad.

In any case i dont think he cares. His 30 million must be keeping him pretty happy!

I am pretty sure he is broke, he must have spent a good chunk of it on bling, escalades, and hoes.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sad.

Well he only played 9 games total his last 2 years, so I don't think you can really say he played 7 years. On top of that, he only played 21 games the year before that and 46 the year before that. Not to mention 24 his rookie year. He didn't really play that much so considering that, 1335 points isn't THAT surprising.

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:

quote]
Well he only played 9 games total his last 2 years, so I don't think you can really say he played 7 years. On top of that, he only played 21 games the year before that and 46 the year before that. Not to mention 24 his rookie year. He didn't really play that much so considering that, 1335 points isn't THAT surprising.

Blaaah blaaaah blaaah. All i hear is noise. All i see is lines.

He sat on an NBA bench and was on an NBA roster for 7 NBA seasons and has less than 2 thousand points. Still amazing to me.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
Remember the money Cuban gave to Ericka Dampier, Eddie Robinson, Ron Mercer

jsain360

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:

Sad.

I am pretty sure he is broke, he must have spent a good chunk of it on bling, escalades, and hoes.

He has a real estate company

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
how did no one mention larry hughes?

Because Big Shot Larry is a 10,000 point scorer. Most, if not 80% of the guys on this list probably have 4,000 points or less.

Big Shot Larry earned his coin, yo. Don't let his shot selection fool ya now. The boys gotta shoot.

Yeah he's earned more than 70 million but the dude can fill it up and he has 10,000 points so it's all good.

ZombieKevie

Liked Posts:
Nick Van Exel almost 12 mill the year before he stopped playin. yeah big shot larry, such a terrible nick name, but his career year got him a rediculous contract. shall we look at his buddies contracts. Gilbert Arenas gettin paid 22 mil to sit on the bench for 2 years because of an injury and he was a 2nd round pick. Butler has a reasonable contract though.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
bullsman24 wrote:
varejao definitely, he does nothing. he's a POOR man's joakim noah, and noah's agent will tell us that.

no he's not.
you need to watch his game more carefully.
he's amongst the best in cutting to the basket, especially on the baseline. as soon as his defender snoozes on him, he's under the basket and thanks to lebron's court vision and passing abilities he already has the ball in his hand for a reverse layup. the cavs run this play about 5 times a game, even more if the defenders keep sleeping on them.

varejao is great as a role player. he takes charges, get offensive rebounds, disrupts the opposing offense, plays hard and doesn't complain. he's good for 6-7 per year, and if he got 8 from the cavs is not like he got overpaid by that much.

and gortat ... he might surprise some people who think he's the next ostertag. from what i saw he got some game. check the games howard missed with injury - gortat held his own pretty damn well.

furthermore, contracts in the 6-7-8 mil range are usually pretty easy to trade if the need arises. much easier than a 13 million *cough*deng*cough* contract.

Liked Posts:
Then again i may be having a change of mind...

Aren't most, if not all NBA players overpaid? The guy who sits on the bench 81.9 games a year for the Memphis Grizzlies gets paid like $600,000. These guys are making tremendous amounts of money to play a game (not saying I wouldn't take it if I was in their shoes, haha!) while most school teachers, firefighters and police officers barely make enough to make ends meet (especially beginning).

Aren't they all overpaid?

What do you think?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Aren't most, if not all NBA players overpaid? The guy who sits on the bench 81.9 games a year for the Memphis Grizzlies gets paid like $600,000. These guys are making tremendous amounts of money to play a game (not saying I wouldn't take it if I was in their shoes, haha!) while most school teachers, firefighters and police officers barely make enough to make ends meet (especially beginning).

What do you think?
IMO those salaries (teachers, police, etc) should be switched with the athletes' salaries. Athletes are definitely way overpaid. They really don't do much other than provide entertainment. The more serviceable jobs that benefit society don't get nearly as much as they deserve.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:

What do you think?
IMO those salaries (teachers, police, etc) should be switched with the athletes' salaries. Athletes are definitely way overpaid. They really don't do much other than provide entertainment. The more serviceable jobs that benefit society don't get nearly as much as they deserve.

seems like you too could have used some more schooling and a course in logic or two.

athletes are paid by private companies who get their money from the public.
as long as their clients are willing to pay for that entertainment, the athletes will get big salaries. in a normal economy, as long as you provide a service or sell a good that is in demand, you should be remunerated for it (it means "paid").

teachers, police etc on the other hand are paid from the federal or state budget. that means the money come from taxes. for salaries of teachers and policemen to increase it means that you need to:

1. cut other spending: easier said than done as large organizations (especially governments) are known to be very bureaucratic and inefficient in their spending

2. get more money by increasing taxes. and when you increase taxes, if wouldn't be fair (or legal, AFAIK) to single out a category saying something like: "nba players (or athletes) will be taxed 90% of their income".

one last thing: some of those guys at the end of the bench have put in more work than most high-school level teachers to get into that position. you think those guys suck ?
maybe compared to lebron or wade. but they'd destroy you (or any amateur fan who thinks "he got game") on a basketball court.

THINK (that's they keyword) how many players are in the nba: around 400. how many teachers or policemen are in the US alone ? tens of thousands. worldwide: millions probably. it's much harder to get into an elite group of 400 where only the best of the best from all over the world can get into.

in the end, while society needs to pay teachers and policemen better (i agree 100%), it can't just take away the athletes' money. they earned it. society needs to find other ways to get that money. so think about that when/if you start complaining the next time taxes are increased.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
dunkside.com wrote:
clonetrooper264 wrote:

What do you think?

seems like you too could have used some more schooling and a course in logic or two.

athletes are paid by private companies who get their money from the public.
as long as their clients are willing to pay for that entertainment, the athletes will get big salaries. in a normal economy, as long as you provide a service or sell a good that is in demand, you should be remunerated for it (it means "paid").

teachers, police etc on the other hand are paid from the federal or state budget. that means the money come from taxes. for salaries of teachers and policemen to increase it means that you need to:

1. cut other spending: easier said than done as large organizations (especially governments) are known to be very bureaucratic and inefficient in their spending

2. get more money by increasing taxes. and when you increase taxes, if wouldn't be fair (or legal, AFAIK) to single out a category saying something like: "nba players (or athletes) will be taxed 90% of their income".

one last thing: some of those guys at the end of the bench have put in more work than most high-school level teachers to get into that position. you think those guys suck ?
maybe compared to lebron or wade. but they'd destroy you (or any amateur fan who thinks "he got game") on a basketball court.

THINK (that's they keyword) how many players are in the nba: around 400. how many teachers or policemen are in the US alone ? tens of thousands. worldwide: millions probably. it's much harder to get into an elite group of 400 where only the best of the best from all over the world can get into.

in the end, while society needs to pay teachers and policemen better (i agree 100%), it can't just take away the athletes' money. they earned it. society needs to find other ways to get that money. so think about that when/if you start complaining the next time taxes are increased.
Oh dear my high school education (or I suppose lack thereof as I haven't finished yet) is coming back to haunt me.

Well obviously there is a reason athletes get paid what they do (and yes even the "scrubs" are definitely 100 times better than a measly average joe high schooler like myself, probably better because I stink). I'm not saying they didn't work for it (there's a reason only 400 people get into the NBA). My real beef is the amount that teachers and the like get paid. I'm not saying it should come from the athletes salaries per se (though really a small tax wouldn't make that big a dent in their overall salaries considering how much they make). Public service is just that, service to the public and thus it would make sense that the general public pays for it.

Liked Posts:
If I could think of one guy who was under-paid for an NBA player of course I'm going with an under-rated one most people probably wouldn't name. It's Mark Eaton but stay with me for just a second.

In the 1984-1985 season; appearing in all 82 games, Mark Eaton averaged nearly 10 points, 11.3 rebounds but listen to this...to go with 5.6 blocks per game.

5.6 BLOCKS A GAME in all 82 games! That's nearly 6 blocks every single night ladies and gentlemen. Guys barely get 2 and a half now and people go nuts. Eaton had 2 and a half before the game even tipped.

10 points, 11.3 rebounds, 5.6 blocks.

He had 6 other seasons where he averaged more than 3 blocks a game and has remained, in my opinion, one of the most under-rated players in the history of the sport.

"But Frank, we're talking about a guy who was 7-4." He should have had that many blocks."

If it's so easy averaging 5.6 blocks a game at 7-4" why didn't Rik Smits do it? Why isn't Ilgauskas doing it at 7-3?" Why isn't Yao doing it? What about Shawn Bradley? How about Chuck Nevitt or Your-gee Muresan? How about that huge guy on Rush Hour 3 with the Barry Bonds head?

Though Manute Bol once averaged 5 blocks a game his rookie year and 4 another year he never had double digit rebounds and scoring to go with it. Bol's only objective, with the exception of the Phoenix game in '93 where he was strokin' 3's left and right, was to block. Manute Bol was a fly-swatter and that's all he did. Eaton was more than that.

While I don't think anyone will make the case that Eaton was a scoring machine we will agree on the fact that Eaton was one of the greatest defensive presences and under-rated players in NBA history. He went from being a grease monkey (true story) in a California garage to swatting Kareem and Lanier and not to mention everyone else.

Yeah, the guy was a mountain...yes he once stuffed Rex Chapman on a dunk attempt without jumping but nonetheless...just let me site these stats once more...

10 points, 11.3 rebounds and 5.6 blocks a game. I don't care if you're 12 foot four. That's amazing.

By the way, you know how much he made during a monster year like that?

$133,000.

$133,000. There are guys on this message forum who make $133,000. So under-rated.

dunkside.com

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
Oh dear my high school education (or I suppose lack thereof as I haven't finished yet) is coming back to haunt me.

Well obviously there is a reason athletes get paid what they do (and yes even the "scrubs" are definitely 100 times better than a measly average joe high schooler like myself, probably better because I stink). I'm not saying they didn't work for it (there's a reason only 400 people get into the NBA). My real beef is the amount that teachers and the like get paid. I'm not saying it should come from the athletes salaries per se (though really a small tax wouldn't make that big a dent in their overall salaries considering how much they make). Public service is just that, service to the public and thus it would make sense that the general public pays for it.

DAMN, I'm old.
Didn't realize I was talking to a kid (and I don't mean that in a bad way, just that I finished highschool more than 10 years ago).

You see, perspective makes a lot of difference. And trust me, perspective usually changes a lot from highschool to when you start working.

It's easy for you to say "tax those guys some more, they have enough", but it's not fair.
You could maybe tax more EVERYONE who makes more than X dollars per year. In Europe the more you earn, the bigger the percentage you pay in taxes.
Or you could tax luxury goods (that athletes and rich people in general are more likely to buy).

You could also tax gasoline. The US has a ridiculously low price for gasoline compared to Europe. You tax it heavily like in Europe and you got cleaner air, less crowded streets, more incentive for auto-makers to produce efficient cars (which might have saved their asses from bankruptcy, by the way) and more money to spend.

You can also raise taxes on cigarettes, coffee and alcohol - which is perfectly fine with me since I don't smoke or drink coffee and I rarely drink alcohol.

The problem is, ALL these will be highly unpopular measures and the politicians are not willing to risk losing votes cause in the end most people prefer to have their cheap gasoline and their cheap booze instead of better education.

In fact this is perhaps the biggest problem with democracy: since every vote counts the same and idiots heavily outnumber intelligent, thoughtful people, they get to push their idiocy on everyone. And since they're idiots, they don't care for education be it for them or for others.