Mulley on 670AM: Should We Cut Forte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I guess this board has reached an echelon in dumbness. When Forte is put down as some no talent bum, then there is no hope for those who espouse it.

Straw Man.

No one can rationally think he sucks, and no one said anything of the sort.

There is no hope for this board, true, but it's due to failed reading comprehension.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Forte's worth much more to the bears than anyone else... we might get a 6th rounder.

6th rounder sounds right, but that's not the motivation for the trade scenario. Take his camp savings, peruse the list of available FA and consider whether we may be better off with a younger player.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, some might argue any Back can run throw a hole...

But can he block on passing plays, & does he cause a mismatch in the passing game? Forte can get open even with coverage.

His yards per reception was low too so didn't do much damage anywhere. Mostly all his receptions were just dump offs so not impressed and of course he'll never have that many again now that Trestman's gone. He's not one of the better blocking backs so not sure why you brought that up.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
I (and I'm sure most others) understand it perfectly, I just don't agree with it. The cap situation is fairly good so there's no need to salary dump the best player on the team. I could understand if we were in cap hell for 2015 but that isn't the case. All you're going to do by salary dumping is hurt the team. Players don't want to play hard because they feel the team is in complete tank/rebuild mode, and you have a harder time attractive free agents, which is a problem because you'll probably need a bunch of them to overpay just to get to the salary minimum.

Not a salary dump, Bears are not the Blackhawks. Trading him creates more cap space for more FA or for resigning Alshon (or whomever).

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The thought behind it is Forte is 30 and will be declining and we could find a less expensive running with decent production.

Thoughts?

giphy.gif

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Matt Forte is not going to last forever. I actually believe we will start to see signs of decline next season, and may have already seen it last season as the rungame collapsed - I don't believe all of that was due to Trestman's idiotic scheming and the failures of the offensive line.

And, at 30, Forte is not the future. If John Fox and Ryan Pace want jobs for more than 2 or 3 years, they are going to have to rebuild this team for the long term, not take the usual Bears approach of trying to "win now" (which really means, 'let's try to get to 9-7, sneak into the playoffs, and see what happens,' an approach that has netted them a couple winning seasons in the last dozen and a bunch of mediocre to poor years in between).

Nevertheless, it's foolish to talk about releasing Forte at this point. The Bears have no suitable substitute.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
His yards per reception was low too so didn't do much damage anywhere. Mostly all his receptions were just dump offs so not impressed and of course he'll never have that many again now that Trestman's gone. He's not one of the better blocking backs so not sure why you brought that up.
He wasn't early in his career, but today he IS one of the better blocking backs in the league. Check his PFF.

True, 90% of his receptions were dump-offs for little yardage with pretty much no defender... cause that's where Trestman put him. I know he's a great route runner, gets open & has superior hands, cause I've watched him the last 7 years.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tiki Barber

Reports are coming out from the Twitterverse that Tiki Barber is itching to come back to the NFL.

Would you guys sign him to a vet minimum if he was interested to backup Forte?

He would be a great goal line back because his legs and body are nice and rested.

I think he would also be a good mentor to the younger guys on the roster.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
does he come with his brother?

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ummm, no!

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why not? You're spending next to nothing to get one of the greatest RBs of the mid-2000s.

He's not here to be a superstar, just to play 5-10 downs per game.
I don't think he's that good, at least anymore. I rather we draft a running back to support fancy feet Forte.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
This can't be real right? This post isn't real.

One of the legit NFL Network guys tweeted it. My wife is on the laptop right now and I can't pull it up on my phone.

Tiki has expressed interest in returning to the field every year during his commentary work with NBC.

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
2000 NYG 16 213 1,006 4.7 78 8 38 5 3
2002 NYG 16 304 1,387 4.6 70 11 67 5 5
2003 NYG 16 278 1,216 4.4 27 2 66 6 5
2004 NYG 16 322 1,518 4.7 72 13 77 5 2
2005 NYG 16 357 1,860 5.2 95 9 72 1 1
2006 NYG 16 327 1,662 5.1 55 5 78 3 1

Yea. All those 1,000+ yard seasons... what a bum.

Let's also forget those YPC (yards per carry).

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
This is a bad troll job even for you.....

Now can we get back to talking about how Urlacher was much better than Derrick Brooks and comparable to Sweet Baby Ray Lewis please!!!!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Red Grange

I was interviewing George Halas and I asked him who is the greatest running back you ever saw. And he said, 'That would be Red Grange.' And I asked him if Grange was playing today, how many yards do you think he'd gain. And he said, 'About 750, maybe 800 yards.' And I said, 'Well, 800 yards is just okay.' He sat up in his chair and he said, 'Son, you must remember one thing. Red Grange is 75 years old.'

Chris Berman on ESPN's SportsCentury show
The Bears should sign Red Grange to a league minimum contract.

He would be just slightly worse than Tiki Barber. Then again, he has a pretty good excuse, he has been dead for almost 25 years.

GBlaze08

Member in Ommys mouth
Liked Posts:
The troll threads are lame enough. No creativity. Now trolling off of someone elses trolling?

:gtfo:

Status
Not open for further replies.