Mully: Trestman has been a failure

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Rex appears to have a huge ego. I'm assuming he'll hold out for another HC gig like Lovie did.

Any candidate would love to come here. As others often mention, coaching in Chicago - particularly the Bears - is one of the top jobs in sports. Extremely high profile/high exposure.

Does anyone even know who the defensive coordinator the Titans is? Anyone know who the OC of the Jaguars is?

Any candidate will want to come to this circus clown show with a totally incompetent nerd as GM? The same nerd that got bullied by his colleagues after he announced at the combine that he was hired as the Bears GM. They were really confused when they found out he wasn't lying.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
I was at that game. That game also featured and incredible Jay to Brandon bomb and then a FG to send the game into OT.

That game - particularly the 4th and OT, were embarrassing for the Bears D. If you recall, Seattle could not win on the road. That game was Russell Wilson's coming out party. In that game, Peppers and Urlacher were completely embarrassed. IIRC, it was Urlacher's last game as a pro.

Strange how no-name quarterbacks always have their coming-out parties while playing against the Bears.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any candidate will want to come to this circus clown show with a totally incompetent nerd as GM? The same nerd that got bullied by his colleagues after he announced at the combine that he was hired as the Bears GM. They were really confused when they found out he wasn't lying.

images

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He said it was Wilson's coming out party.

Judging by how that team played after that Bears game I'd have to agree with him. They were 6-5, averaging 18 points per game and had just lost to the 4-6 Dolphins.

After that Bears game they started rolling and haven't really looked back since until their slow start to this season.

If you agree that the Seahawks were really good then why was it embarrassing to give up 17 points?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

Yes. Why wouldn't a candidate want to coach a team that:

a) has a ton of offensive talent
b) has a number of aged players which gives the option of helping mold a roster
c) the third largest sports market in the country - second for NFL
d) a team that, despite its history of mediocrity, is worshipped by it's fans - fans that are nationwide
e) a team that rewards coaches well - remember, Lovie was the highest paid coach in the NFL a few years ago
f) a team/market in which having success will catapult you to deity status in this city. Ask Ditka, Q or Phil Jackson how that worked out.
g) one of the best NFL cities in the world to live in.

So, yes, the Bears are still regarded as one of the best jobs in pro sports.

And what does nerdy have to do with anything? Some GMs are nerdy. Some aren't. As for 'totally incompetent' - really? Emery still needs time. Yes, his first draft was a miss. It happens. To every GM - nerdy or otherwise. Getting top tier talent like Alshon, Long, Fuller and a few others is relevant. These are all starters. I fully believed that Fuller was headed to the pro-bowl before getting hurt. That would be 3 straight drafts with a Pro-Bowler. I'll take that.

Emery is an easy target these days, but saying he's 'totally incompetent' is just not an accurate statement.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
If you agree that the Seahawks were really good then why was it embarrassing to give up 17 points?

It was embarrassing how they lost. I was at that game and it's almost as if Carrol/Bevel had a light switch go on in the 4th quarter. Started running the read option and the Bears had no answer. No clue what to do and no way to make adjustments. Watching Peppers and particularly, Urlacher, was sad.

If Seattle ran the read option the entire game, they would have scored 417 points.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Because the Defense was still good then, but let a young QB march the length of the field TWICE to lose the game. Gut wrenching loss.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because the Defense was still good then, but let a young QB march the length of the field TWICE to lose the game. Gut wrenching loss.

I agree it was a tough loss but 17 points can't be embarrassing to a defense.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree it was a tough loss but 17 points can't be embarrassing to a defense.

It can be when we pay that defense all that money, and be known as a defensive team. To let a young QB march the entire length of the field TWICE to lose a game that ultimately costs your team the playoffs? Embarrassing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It can be when we pay that defense all that money, and be known as a defensive team. To let a young QB march the entire length of the field TWICE to lose a game that ultimately costs your team the playoffs? Embarrassing.

That Seattle game and Urlacher's inability to get even close to rookie Russell Wilson was when I knew it was over defensively.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Where did this "Emery was laughed at" nonsense come from?

I don't know. I remember most people liking the hire.

Trestman has failed more than Emery. This team is more talented than their record and that is on the coaches.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't go that far since Tucker and Joe D were all but forced on Trestman, and I believe Cutler was as well. Also, in the end Emery hired Trestman.

Trest was saddled with a worthless DC and a QB that simply cannot run his O, the results really aren't that surprising.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For all of those that keep bringing up the Seattle game and Wilson, you remember some stuff but not all. As Wilson was new, the Bears did not properly game plan for him and their offense. And immediately after that game, both Lovie Smith and Urlacher said in press conferences that they totally blew the game plan, mostly due to Wilson and the unknown. And they said that they totally underrated Wilson, which also proved to be the right assessment over the next couple of years. I am not in the googling mood, but if I need to I am certain that I can find several articles talking about this.

Believe it or not there is such a thing as game planning for individual games. The Trestman/Tucker believed and had many believing that you put the defense out there on the field and say just do your thing, we are not going to fuck with your success, we are running the same defense. It is not that fucking easy. You game plan for each individual game and it is different. Our current geniuses didn't seem to understand that.

That is what happened in that Seattle game. And certainly a rarity for that defense.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know. I remember most people liking the hire.

Trestman has failed more than Emery. This team is more talented than their record and that is on the coaches.

I don't know if that is true. Phil spent big money on guys that are doing just short of nothing. Allen and Houston are bad. Best linebacker is who? Conte is the best safety on the team after Phil poor mouthed him and Shea is a penciled in starter. They are down to Al Lois Jean at corner. The GM is as bad as the HC.