My case for the 1999 Chicago Bulls

Fred

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
Kush77 wrote:
I agree with Fred. I tend not to give Krause tons of credit for the Rodman trade.

First off Rodman was plan B because they couldn't sign Jayson Williams.

But then they gave up Will Purdue for him. And Rodman was in the last year of his contract. So there was really no risk. It was a no-brainer.

And I guess Krause had asked the option of Jordan and Pippen on that trade accoring to his clip in this video at 3:34. So I guess he cared about Jordan's opinion in the case of Rodman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5dQ...155306AA7&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

Guys I'm not saying it wasn't a no brainer but there was definitely risk involved which is why I give Krause some credit for taking a chance on that crackhead. You even said it Fred, he destroyed that Spurs team. Who's to say it was going to work in our favor? Not alot of people were when we got him.

But thankfully MJ is the greatest & Phil is the Zen master & they basically only asked him to trust & respect them on the bball court & let him be himself anywhere else. We were the only team that could take the chance on him & we did. Thankfully it worked out but if it didn't it very well could've caused some serious damage to our 2nd 3-peat run.

We had absolutely nothing to lose in that trade. Remember, we just lost to the Magic in the 2nd round WITH Jordan. There was nothing to destroy....we had no one who could really rebound. We had a massive hole at the power forward position. We had no options.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Krause said he would have gotten Rodman whether Jordan wanted him or not. He asked Jordan and Pippen about Rodman, hoping for the transition to be seamless, but he had made up his mind.

As far as this "no brainer" trade stuff...those moves still have to be made. And someone is responsible for making them. Again, giving Krause all the blame and little credit is disingenuious.

I know nobody who puts Krause in the same league as Red Auerbach. Nobody. He does have 6 rings though, not many GMs in any sport can say that.

As for his people skills, Jackson had his issues also, so did Jordan. I dare anyone on here to tell me that Jordan had great people skills, that's laughable. However, Krause attained a measure of success that should be respected...that is the whole point.

People give certain players more credit for "leading his team to the playoffs" though that team is mediocre, than they give Krause for what he accomplished.

Who knows whether Krause got offers, he claims he did but didn't want to pursue GM openings...

Krause's job was to look ahead and plan ahead. That is what he is supposed to do...Phil had talked about retiring for years, so Krause planned his replacement, as Krause did with Collins and Albeck...

Fred

Liked Posts:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...BQcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=d3wEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4203,2912750

Do any of the Krause lovers on this Forum ever wonder why Pippen, Jordan, Jackson and Horace Grant hated Krause? (See Horace comments in the article) It is really logical to think that the problem was those 4 and NOT Krause? He was an anti-social, first class jack-ass whose banner should be removed from the rafters and put in it's rightful place...on the floor of a 300-level bathroom.

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Krause said he would have gotten Rodman whether Jordan wanted him or not. He asked Jordan and Pippen about Rodman, hoping for the transition to be seamless, but he had made up his mind.

So what. Who gives a crap what he said. He has proven time and time again that his word means nothing. Either way, it doesn't really matter, since Jordan would do all the heavy lifting, regardless of whether he wanted him on the team or not. Every GM with an IQ of 50 would have made that trade and done the exact same thing if Jordan gave his approval. This was the easiest trade of all-time...trading another Krause disaster in the form of Perdue for Rodman. Jordan deserves the credit. Krause should be thanking Michael for making it work, not telling the world he would have done it regardless of what Michael said.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

As far as this "no brainer" trade stuff...those moves still have to be made. And someone is responsible for making them. Again, giving Krause all the blame and little credit is disingenuious.

I know nobody who puts Krause in the same league as Red Auerbach. Nobody. He does have 6 rings though, not many GMs in any sport can say that.

As for his people skills, Jackson had his issues also, so did Jordan. I dare anyone on here to tell me that Jordan had great people skills, that's laughable. However, Krause attained a measure of success that should be respected...that is the whole point.

People give certain players more credit for "leading his team to the playoffs" though that team is mediocre, than they give Krause for what he accomplished.

Who knows whether Krause got offers, he claims he did but didn't want to pursue GM openings...

Krause's job was to look ahead and plan ahead. That is what he is supposed to do...Phil had talked about retiring for years, so Krause planned his replacement, as Krause did with Collins and Albeck...

I don't if Krause got anymore offers. If he did wouldn't he have taken them? If you're gonna work, wouldn't you rather be an NBA GM, VP whatever, instead of some lower lever MLB scout traveling to minor league cities?

That's what makes me think he never got another job.

As for people skill, when you're MJ, you can get away with it. When you're Krause, you can't. Whether it's right or wrong in the grand scheme of things isn't the point.

MJ got other jobs, he had the stature to be a jerk. Krause didn't. that's why MJ is an owner and Krause is a Mets scout, I believe?

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
houheffna wrote:

So what. Who gives a crap what he said. He has proven time and time again that his word means nothing. Either way, it doesn't really matter, since Jordan would do all the heavy lifting, regardless of whether he wanted him on the team or not. Every GM with an IQ of 50 would have made that trade and done the exact same thing if Jordan gave his approval. This was the easiest trade of all-time...trading another Krause disaster in the form of Perdue for Rodman. Jordan deserves the credit. Krause should be thanking Michael for making it work.

Krause also needs to thank Michael for coming back and covering up what was the terrible Ron harper signing.

Krause had his good and bad, but like I said he ruined it with his severe lack of people skills.

I know Hou said MJ could be an ass. Very true. But MJ could turn on the charm. Krause has no charm. That's the difference.

Ah, good banter. I love it.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
He was an anti-social, first class jack-ass whose banner should be removed from the rafters and put in it's rightful place...on the floor of a 300-level bathroom.

:cheer: Now that I definitely agree with.

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I dare anyone on here to tell me that Jordan had great people skills, that's laughable.

I'll gladly take that dare. You don't become a world-wide icon of Jordan's status without some level of people skills. Jordan had great people skills. He, like everyone, had his faults. But for someone who was so universally worshipped, at such a young age...I think he handled it better than most would in a similar situation.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Since I'm on the warpath on Krause, here's number 438 on why he's a jack ass. I can't find this article anywhere (Reinsdorf must have had every copy of it removed from existence), but I distinctly remember reading an article by or about Yao Ming after he was drafted. I really wanted the Bulls to draft Ming (it's a long story). If anyone can find this article I'm referring to, I'll be eternally grateful. I thought it was in an ESPN the magazine, but I could be wrong.

Ming at first wanted to go to Chicago because for some reason he thought it had a large Chinese population. At least until he met Krause. Krause brings him into Chicago, and instead of taking him out on the town or to a nice restaurant, he sequesters him in a hotel, and orders Chinese food. Yao said something to the fact, "After that meeting, I no longer wanted to go to Chicago."

I remember throwing the article against the wall, and on my next post-game show, that I called in regularly during those years, I got into all out screaming match with Steve Kashul, who was guesting on that particular show with Carmen Defalco. I wanted his ass fired and Kashul was sticking up for him. Kashul hung up on me and proceded to complain about me for the remainder of the show.

Fred

Liked Posts:

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
Fred wrote:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...BQcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=d3wEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4203,2912750

I just noticed...another interesting thing about this article...column 3, 4th paragraph....DEL NEGRO HITS 5 THREE's IN A HALF. No wonder he played Gordon so much.

And I also just read what Horace said in column 1. Apparently, he didn't feel a lot of loyalty. I wonder what he feels about Wade's comments.

Thanks for posting this Fred.

I really miss Steve Gibson's columns on Bluefish.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
There is no reason to have this argument.

People pull out quotes, articles etc. Jordan's words, Horace Grant's words, etc.

What Krause says...all lies! "I believe NOTHING he says"

Horace couldn't stand Krause, he didn't like Jordan either, and he didn't care much for Phil Jackson. The front office of the Bulls, some who didn't like Krause,some of them absolutely loathed Phil Jackson.

I stated Jordan didn't have great people skills. I am obviously talking about his coworkers, I don't give a damn why people worshipped him, people worship other people for whatever reason. Being an asshole is a choice, MJ chose it just like Krause did. People who think Jordan had these great skills believe the hype. I don't believe the hype. That is what the Jordan Rules were all about. That was one of the main points of the book, Jordan's dysfunctional relationships within that organization.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Didn't read the whole thread, but I very much doubt the Bulls could win if they played in 99.

#1: Scottie Pippen played no where near his 98 level in 99. Maybe this was because of his new team and his new role, but it could also simply be because he was getting older and wasn't as good.

#2: Dennis Rodman was off the reservation by this point. He had become more and more out of control with the Bulls, and he had started giving up playing defense in order to grab rebounds for his reputation.

#3: Jordan had the cigar cutter accident with his thumb during the summer, and the injury could have effected that season.

#4: This isn't really a necessity, but from a GM standpoint, I doubt they would have kept all the supporting players, because if they gave everyone the raises they earned they would have had an astronomical payroll to go for it for one more season.

#5: The Spurs, who won the title, were simply better than anyone the Bulls had faced in the finals up to that point by a huge margin. They would have also destroyed the Bulls inside with their size using Robinson and Duncan and been a worst case scenario matchup.

Granted, you can obviously make the case that the Bulls would have overcome these things, and I'm certainly not defending Krause, who's whole management of the team during the Jordan era was borderline ludicrous, but I would have put their odds at least than 25% of a 7th title if they came back.

Fred

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Didn't read the whole thread, but I very much doubt the Bulls could win if they played in 99.

#1: Scottie Pippen played no where near his 98 level in 99. Maybe this was because of his new team and his new role, but it could also simply be because he was getting older and wasn't as good.

Nowhere near his 98 level? He missed half the season in 98. He actually played in more games in the strike shortened 99 season for Houston than he did for the Bulls in 98. His shooting percentages were similar. He just took less shot because the Rockets had Barkley and Olajuwon. Kukoc was still in his prime, and he could have helped Scottie keep his minutes down.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

#2: Dennis Rodman was off the reservation by this point. He had become more and more out of control with the Bulls, and he had started giving up playing defense in order to grab rebounds for his reputation.

#3: Jordan had the cigar cutter accident with his thumb during the summer, and the injury could have effected that season.

#4: This isn't really a necessity, but from a GM standpoint, I doubt they would have kept all the supporting players, because if they gave everyone the raises they earned they would have had an astronomical payroll to go for it for one more season.

#5: The Spurs, who won the title, were simply better than anyone the Bulls had faced in the finals up to that point by a huge margin. They would have also destroyed the Bulls inside with their size using Robinson and Duncan and been a worst case scenario matchup.

Granted, you can obviously make the case that the Bulls would have overcome these things, and I'm certainly not defending Krause, who's whole management of the team during the Jordan era was borderline ludicrous, but I would have put their odds at least than 25% of a 7th title if they came back.

I disagree Doug. The Bulls would have won the title in 1999.

You need to read the first post because Scottie Pippen was fine in 1999. He made the all-defensive first team and played all 50 games with a career high in minutes. Everyone says Scottie Pippen fell off in 1999, but I've provided evidence that he hadn't, which no one wants to seem to acknowledge. Same with Dennis Rodman.

I'm aware of the whole Michael Jordan cigar cutter thing. But had the Bulls known they were playing in 1999, maybe Jordan isn't cutting cigars at a party, or wherever he was. Maybe he's somewhere else, doing something else. We don't know.

But that's why I prefaced my statement with assuming everyone is healthy.

As for the payroll thing. Through all of our discussions we've had, we agree that MJ could of came back. And even though it was a PR stunt with JR offering Phil the 1-year deal, what if Phil said "ok". at that point JR probably would have paid to bring everyone back. So I don't think that would be an issue.

They would have won the title and still made boatloads of money. Believe me, no matter the payroll, the Bulls weren't gonna lose money in 1999.

I just find it comical that a team that won 3 straight championships, had the league's best record for three straight years, and a team that when they lost, barely lost, would just fall off a cliff the next season.

And everyone speaks so glowingly about the 1999 Spurs? What the hell did they do the next three years? Got spanked by La. so if the Spurs were sooooo much better than the Bulls, then how come it took them 4 more year to win a title?

The Bulls beat the Spurs in 1999. Sure Duncan and Robinson would be trouble inside. But the Bulls have played team with good big men before. Nothing new. Shaq, Ewing, Mourning, etc..

And Toni Kukoc would provide a big mismatch for either Duncan or Robinson. Who guards Toni on the perimeter when he's playing the 4? Duncan or Robinson? Neither would be able to.

Funny how people that say the Spurs would have won always point out the inside game but fail to mention the other three positions on the basketball court.

Lets see - Jordan, Pippen, Harper VS. Mario Elie, Avery Johnson and Sean Elliot. LOL. Yeah, that's not a colossal mismatch.

A FAR greater mismatch than the Spurs' 4/5 vs, the Bulls 4/5. At least the Bulls boasted the NBA's best rebounder and great post defender.

"The Spurs, who won the title, were simply better than anyone the Bulls had faced in the finals up to that point by a huge margin."

I disagree again. By a huge margin? You couldn't be more wrong DT. I could easily argue the Sonic and Jazz were better teams. The Sonics won 64 games and their starting 5 on paper is better than the Spurs. You don't win 64 games by accident. Perkins, Kemp, Schrempf, Payton and Hawkins was a damn good team.

The Jazz also were as good as the Spurs, and had the not been upset by the Blazers in1999 they could have beaten the Spurs with homecourt. We'll never know. But this idea that the Spurs were So much better is laughable. The Jazz had the best record in the NBa that year and they were just as old as the Bulls.

Another fact that I pointed out in my initial post that people choose to ignore so they can make their contrarian argument that the 3-time defending champs would all the sudden just fall off a cliff.

Fred

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:

For argument's sake, let's say you are right, and it was a 25% chance. Well, how do you not take that chance? We could go our entire lifetimes and never see the Bulls have a 1 in 4 chance at winning a title. There are organizations that have never had a 1/4 chance at winning a title (New Orleans, The Clippers, Toronto, come to mind.) Why do you not do everything in your power to give that team another try? Two reasons:

a. Krause knew he would never get acknowledged as an all-time great GM because he took over a team with the All-Time Greatest player already on it. In order to be considered as a legendary GM, he would have to win without Michael, which explains why he was in such a hurry to rush Jackson out the door and with him MJ. Of course, in doing so, he exposed himself to the world over the course of the next 6 years as the complete clown he truly was.

b. It was a lot cheaper for JR. To keep Jordan, Pippen, and Jackson happy....we're talking about a major outlay of financial resources. This organization has never been happy doing that.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
DT saying the Bulls would have a 25% chance of winning the title in 1999 is just ridiculous.

If the Bulls came back, in tact, they would be the odds on favorite to win the NBA title in 1999.

I would have loved to go the Vegas and get the Bulls at 4-1 to win the title in 1999. Talk about a great value bet.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Nowhere near his 98 level? He missed half the season in 98. He actually played in more games in the strike shortened 99 season for Houston than he did for the Bulls in 98. His shooting percentages were similar. He just took less shot because the Rockets had Barkley and Olajuwon. Kukoc was still in his prime, and he could have helped Scottie keep his minutes down.

Who gives a crap if he missed half of the meaningless regular season. I'm not suggesting that the Bulls would have missed the playoffs. Pippen had a 16.8 PER in 99, that's only a shade above average.

His PER went down every season after that as well, so it's not like this was an anomaly. He had a 20.4 in 98 FWIW.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
The fact is...Jackson wanted to go and Jordan was tired mentally. Mainly Jordan didn't want to do it anymore. So if there is anger, be angry at Jordan...he walked away from the first 3 championships, why wouldn't he walk away from the second?