My plan for fixing the OL

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Good call on Vaitai. He's honestly who I would call 1st if I'm the Bears. He's cheaper than Scherff. More size than Glasgow. He's a mauler, but with good enough feet to play RT.

I too would start him at RG. The thought of putting a rookie at RG, with a still developing LG scares me. So, a veteran would be ideal. A big boy like Vaitai would be ideal to get the run game going. Castillo typically likes big guards.

Kelly is also interesting, but I think I would try to take advantage of this strong OT class. My ideal target would be Lucas Niang. He's somewhat similar to Vaitai in that he's a big boy that can move. He could probably play guard, and probably would be below average at LT. But he can certainly play a good RT. Massie probably isn't going to play 16 next year, as he didn't come close this year and is a year older and no better than average. Niang is a guy that is NFL ready.

That would make the depth chart:

LT- Leno, Niang
LG- Daniels, Bars
C- Whitehair
RG- Vaitai, Bars
RT- Massie, Niang

I'd probably let Coward walk and get a backup on the interior that can snap the ball.

Never considered Kelly, but that'd be a good move if the team really wants to wait on OL in the draft. Would allow them to use a 2nd on either CB or OLB along with TE.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
thumb.aspx

Obviously this goes over their heads

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
My 2020 OL

RT: Massie, Vaitai
RG: Vaitai, Draft Pick
C: Whitehair
LG: Daniels, Bars
LT: Leno/Dennis Kelly [Ten]

-Sign Hal Vaitai 4 years 32 million/19 guaranteed
-Sign Dennis Kelly 2 years 8 million/5 guaranteed
-Draft an OG in Round 4

My 2021 OL

RT: Vaitai
RG: 2020 Draft Pick/Bars/2021 FA
LG: Daniels
LT: Kelly/21 High Draft Pick

-Sign an OG to compete with the 2020 Draft Pick
-Draft a LT high in the draft

So my question is how much better is the 2020 OL than the 2019 OL?

I like how it projects to 2021, and I like the consideration for the cap but is vaitai going to be enough of an upgrade? Does this transform the OL in any meaningful way? Are we just banking on coaching changes to make a majority of benefits?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So my question is how much better is the 2020 OL than the 2019 OL?

I like how it projects to 2021, and I like the consideration for the cap but is vaitai going to be enough of an upgrade? Does this transform the OL in any meaningful way? Are we just banking on coaching changes to make a majority of benefits?

The RG would be significantly better
LG and C would be better as we would not do the idiotic position change.

OT we would have another option, which is probably the best we can hope for.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
VaiTai is an interesting option. I personally like Thuney but Vaitai probably comes cheaper. If the Bears go this route though, I'm putting Valtai at RG and drafting Prince, or Becton with the first pick.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Are you satisfied with this solution or will it continue to hold Mitch back from greatness?

I think Massie is trash in zone run as hes a power run guy. This might help.

Leno is worst in the league so anything is an upgrade.
If it allows Nagy to stop calling WR screens because hes trying to protect his QB than yes.

I need 2 TEs this offseason. 1 starter and one developmental. Teams with great TEs allow for a disguised offense. If we are transparent we will get similar results. Its the NFL defensive coordinators arent idiots.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
VaiTai is an interesting option. I personally like Thuney but Vaitai probably comes cheaper. If the Bears go this route though, I'm putting Valtai at RG and drafting Prince, or Becton with the first pick.

Becton should be around when we pick. Its a deep draft and there are a bunch of tackles on the board that have talent. I wouldnt mind us taking 2 of them so we have a better chance of hitting a home run. A ten year guy at tackle would fux alot of problems that that have been lingering for 20 years with small attention given to fixing em.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

If it allows Nagy to stop calling WR screens because hes trying to protect his QB than yes.

I need 2 TEs this offseason. 1 starter and one developmental. Teams with great TEs allow for a disguised offense. If we are transparent we will get similar results. Its the NFL defensive coordinators arent idiots.
So the Bears have the worst LT and also the worst QB in the league lol. No wonder they suck

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I wonder how much of a difference considering Vaitai's ability to play tackle, there will be in $$$ between Vaitai and Glasgow. I could see it being pretty similar.

So you have to ask yourself - Do you go with:

- A less proven, higher upside, more flexible but relatively unknown on the interior OL in Vaitai
or
-Proven, reliable interior OL with less flexibility.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wonder how much of a difference considering Vaitai's ability to play tackle, there will be in $$$ between Vaitai and Glasgow. I could see it being pretty similar.

So you have to ask yourself - Do you go with:

- A less proven, higher upside, more flexible but relatively unknown on the interior OL in Vaitai
or
-Proven, reliable interior OL with less flexibility.

I think either would be a huge get.

I would probably go with Vaitai because it gives me more draft flexibility.

If I love an OG in round 2 you can take him and ship massie to the bench.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
So the Bears have the worst LT and also the worst QB in the league lol. No wonder they suck

Cool attempt at trolling. I like your effort to get under my skin. Ya know if you dug up some stats, watched the sport, turned off espn ratings based show and formulated an intelligent opinion of your own that would be great.

If I wanted regurgitated talking points from shitty out of touch ratings gathering talk show hosts I'd throw a barbeque.

You're following a forum repeating yourself without ever having evolved your argument.

Fair question? What do you do for work? McDonalds? Nah you seem like a loyalist... I'm gonna say Burger King.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The RG would be significantly better
LG and C would be better as we would not do the idiotic position change.

OT we would have another option, which is probably the best we can hope for.

What position do you hope to get in round 2 outside of OG?

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

I agree with the sentiment but it sounds like wayyyyy too much capital to spend on the TE position. I’d be happy to draft a developmental guy in in 4th I suppose?

I think more so than disguise or which position the offense needs playmakers or mismatches. Right now this offense has Allen robinson. He draws the number 1 guy, and if or ever there is double coverage he gets it.

Problem is when he draws coverage there is no one else to take advantage of it. This offense has no playmakers. Just a bunch of quick midgets and bumbling fools running around. Grab a playmaker at literally any position and we will see improvements. Grab a RB in round 2 for all I care. Just grab someone that can make a play for themselves.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why not go for Glasgow/scherff and then draft a tackle to replace massie?

Why settle for these upgrades?

The Bears are not getting Scherff. Let it go.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I agree with the sentiment but it sounds like wayyyyy too much capital to spend on the TE position. I’d be happy to draft a developmental guy in in 4th I suppose?

I think more so than disguise or which position the offense needs playmakers or mismatches. Right now this offense has Allen robinson. He draws the number 1 guy, and if or ever there is double coverage he gets it.

Problem is when he draws coverage there is no one else to take advantage of it. This offense has no playmakers. Just a bunch of quick midgets and bumbling fools running around. Grab a playmaker at literally any position and we will see improvements. Grab a RB in round 2 for all I care. Just grab someone that can make a play for themselves.

Im thinking the guy I want slips tothe 4th round. Hes a step slow and not very explosive. I wouldnt be opposed to other TEs that fit.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would go Glasgow and draft an OT. I think there are actually a lot of pure OT prospects in this draft.

Glasgow comes in and immediately solidifies the RG spot and we can groom the T to eventually take over.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cool attempt at trolling. I like your effort to get under my skin. Ya know if you dug up some stats, watched the sport, turned off espn ratings based show and formulated an intelligent opinion of your own that would be great.

If I wanted regurgitated talking points from shitty out of touch ratings gathering talk show hosts I'd throw a barbeque.

You're following a forum repeating yourself without ever having evolved your argument.

Fair question? What do you do for work? McDonalds? Nah you seem like a loyalist... I'm gonna say Burger King.
I'm not sure what I do for work matters. FYI, I work in corporate insurance though and I'm very good at what I do.

Thanks.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
My 2020 OL

RT: Massie, Vaitai
RG: Vaitai, Draft Pick
LG: Daniels, Bars
LT: Leno/Dennis Kelly [Ten]

-Sign Hal Vaitai 4 years 32 million/19 guaranteed
-Sign Dennis Kelly 2 years 8 million/5 guaranteed
-Draft an OG in Round 4

My 2021 OL

RT: Vaitai
RG: 2020 Draft Pick/Bars/2021 FA
LG: Daniels
LT: Kelly/21 High Draft Pick

-Sign an OG to compete with the 2020 Draft Pick
-Draft a LT high in the draft
Are you saying don't draft an OT in the 2nd Rd 2020?

If we can afford Kelly, along with Vaitai, a great TE, a 10+ sack OLB, a good WR, decent CB#2, Bush, Kwit, KPL, etc, then I'm cool with it. But I'd still draft an OT in 2nd Rd (if the talent is there). If Vaitai plays LT, then Bars, Larsen or a draft G can play G.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what I do for work matters. FYI, I work in corporate insurance though and I'm very good at what I do.

Thanks.

Idk how that gives you valuable insight into any professional sports. Have you considered researching the topics your talking about or are you just going to keep spamming me with more shit from the talking heads on morning radio.

Because you do realize you can do a complex breakdown of the situation to better understand the offensive situation.

It might not be as simple as blaming the QB.

I guess what im saying is that ill present an argument but youd have to understand how an NFL offense works first. Otherwise this conversation will be like arguing politcs with someones drunk deadbeat uncle at a holiday party.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Idk how that gives you valuable insight into any professional sports. Have you considered researching the topics your talking about or are you just going to keep spamming me with more shit from the talking heads on morning radio.

Because you do reapize you can do a complex breakdown of the situation to better understand the offensive situation.

It might not be as simple as blaming the QB.

I guess what im saying is that ill present an argument but youd have to understand how an NFL offense works first. Otherwise this conversation will be like arguing politcs with someones drunk deadbeat uncle at a holiday party.
You fail to admit that Mitch could be part of the problems offense. That’s my issue. I’ve already told you I think there are issues at OT and TE but I believe a good franchise QB can overcome deficiencies and I have provided examples in the past. It’s not my fault you are narrow minded and unwilling to admit something that is true.