My round-by-round and overall Bears 2019 draft grades

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I would say Montgomery was a solid pick, I guess that means something like a B+/A-. I like the pick, it just sucks that the Bears had to trade up to get him. But I understand why they did trade up.

I don't think we are very different in our analysis...I guess I am just a harder grader than you. Montgomery was a solid C pick to me, rounded down to a C- based on Pace trading up to make the selection. I'm not as high as everyone else apparently on Ridley, because I'm not seeing the production, the scheme fit, or the NFL body. I could be way off on Shelley based on DaaBears intel, but I saw him as UDFA projection who is also coming off injury. Not a good combo, IMO.

I think Pace getting a "C" grade would have been fine/expected considering the rounds we were dealing with. I thought there were a few reaches by Pace, so I gave him a slightly below average C- mark. JMO.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Awesome. Done. How long do we have to keep the avatar—month, months, year? LOL I think he'll do really well with receptions, so double Howard there, but maybe only 800 rushing, but I think he gets the over. And I will agree that I didn't like trading up and losing those picks, though if Montgomery is a stud, we won't care. Howard was declining, not good in this offense, and I think Montgomery is an upgrade for sure. How MUCH? Only time will tell.

Lets say you keep the Avatar for the remainder of 2020, or until you are banned (whichever comes first).

If you win the bet, then I will have to have a Montgomery avatar of your approval.

If I win the bet, then you will have to have whichever avatar msadows has at that current time.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lets say you keep the Avatar for the remainder of 2020, or until you are banned (whichever comes first).

If you win the bet, then I will have to have a Montgomery avatar of your approval.

If I win the bet, then you will have to have whichever avatar msadows has at that current time.
What IF Montgomery has 1200+ yards, but only has a 3.7 YPC??

giphy.gif

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Riley Ridley was a pretty solid 2nd round player for most sites and experts. Getting him in the 4th round is a tremendous value and I would not grade it low.

With limited picks the Bears needed to take the opportunity to steal some value.
I'm not sure that logic follows correctly, it would seem more correct to say: with limited picks the Bears needed to bias their picks on needs, not value/BPA. You're suggesting that when you have a plethora of picks you would then draft more biased for need. IDK seems backward.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure that logic follows correctly, it would seem more correct to say: with limited picks the Bears needed to bias their picks on needs, not value/BPA. You're suggesting that when you have a plethora of picks you would then draft more biased for need. IDK seems backward.

With limited picks they need to not worry as much about need and instead take the gifts that the draft gave to them.

They did not need a WR, but if the draft wants to draft a 3rd round WR to you in the end of the 4th you have to take it, because you did not have the higher picks to build out your draft.

Ridley is like having the 62nd pick on your team and not the 126th.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think in terms of the bet, they should both have to rock whatever avatar DaBears70 is rocking at all times.

DaBears70's avatar is pretty unimaginative....it's Ryan Pace with the caption below it being "I am Ryan Pace" or some further unimaginative vomit.

msadows avatar actually captures the facial expression/disgust/annoyance that we all have when reading his postings. Its brilliant stuff.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Awesome. Done. How long do we have to keep the avatar—month, months, year? LOL I think he'll do really well with receptions, so double Howard there, but maybe only 800 rushing, but I think he gets the over. And I will agree that I didn't like trading up and losing those picks, though if Montgomery is a stud, we won't care. Howard was declining, not good in this offense, and I think Montgomery is an upgrade for sure. How MUCH? Only time will tell.

Actually suprprised Rory took you up on 1200 yards. The 10 TDs I believe very strongly in the under simply beacuse with Nagy not only do RBs have to share TDs with other receivers but even have to share carries with defenders!

For me, with trading up for "the guy" to replace Howard, anything under 1200 all-purpose yards would just be disappointing ... 1200 / 16 = 75 yards and everyone already knows he is the feature guy so they won't bother with trying out anyone else for the starting job ...

Also, when Trubisky was on fire last year, Nagy abandoned the running game almost completely. I don't think that is simply cause Howard doesn't fit. Now Montgomery can be a target in the passing game, but if Nagy goes into "pass it all day" mode, Montgomery has to be the lowest target on the totem pole imo.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Actually suprprised Rory took you up on 1200 yards. The 10 TDs I believe very strongly in the under simply beacuse with Nagy not only do RBs have to share TDs with other receivers but even have to share carries with defenders!

For me, with trading up for "the guy" to replace Howard, anything under 1200 all-purpose yards would just be disappointing ... 1200 / 16 = 75 yards and everyone already knows he is the feature guy so they won't bother with trying out anyone else for the starting job ...

Also, when Trubisky was on fire last year, Nagy abandoned the running game almost completely. I don't think that is simply cause Howard doesn't fit. Now Montgomery can be a target in the passing game, but if Nagy goes into "pass it all day" mode, Montgomery has to be the lowest target on the totem pole imo.
This is actually what's great about the Monty pick for Ryan Pace. Because Nagy really doesn't have a lot of respect for RBs, and leans towards using all sorts of trickery and spreading the ball around rather than having a feature runner, nobody will actually be able to say whether or not Monty was a "steal" or a pick worth trading up for, or a good or bad pick. At least not until Pace trades him to Philly for a 5-6th rounder.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nothing illustrates 'stealing value with limited picks' like trading up to take David Montgomery!

The RBs were not going to last to them. But No, Montgomery is not stealing value, but I would call him a push value wise.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Wild X posted a nice video breakdown on Montgomery. What's amazing to me is that he rarely had a clean hole. It seemed like his O-line was constantly being pushed back into his face. He had to make guys miss in the backfield on a regular basis. I know Rory is getting a kick out of the Hunt comparisons but I heard a number of NFL guys say the same thing even Nagy.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wild X posted a nice video breakdown on Montgomery. What's amazing to me is that he rarely had a clean hole. It seemed like his O-line was constantly being pushed back into his face. He had to make guys miss in the backfield on a regular basis. I know Rory is getting a kick out of the Hunt comparisons but I heard a number of NFL guys say the same thing even Nagy.

I read somewhere that the Iowa St OL was ranked 107 in college football.

Montgomery had 92 broken tackles in 250 carries.
Yahoo had him at a 41% rate of making the first defender miss entirely.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sounds good. You mean remainder of 2019?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Sounds good. You mean remainder of 2019?

The regular season doesn't end until like December 29, 2019, so I figure 2020 would be the 'avatar year'. Maybe just have the avatar through the postseason, then?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh okay, yeah, duh. That makes sense.

Also, here is a website that agrees with your evaluation. Thought it was only fair to share this as well.

CHICAGO BEARS

3.73 (from Patriots) – David Montgomery (RB – Iowa State)
4.126 – Riley Ridley (WR – Georgia)
6.205 – Duke Shelley (CB – Kansas State)
7.222 (from Broncos) – Kerrith Whyte (RB – Florida Atlantic)
7.238 – Stephen Denmark (CB – Valdosta State)

After signing Mike Davis in free agency, it didn’t make much sense for the Bears to select a running back with one of their third- or fourth-round picks. Not only did they take one in the third, but they traded up to get him. This puts me in quite the predicament because Montgomery was my top running back in the class, but he feels a bit unnecessary here. Ridley was someone who possessed maybe the best route running in the draft, but he lacks any sort of speed, so his ceiling is capped. The fourth round felt about right for him. It’s hard to make a difference with just two picks in the first five rounds after trading for Khalil Mack, Anthony Miller, and Montgomery, so no matter what, the Bears were never going to be able to get a great draft grade here. They did snag wide receiver Emanuel Hall immediately once the draft ended, which doesn’t boost their draft grade, but it does boost the talent-level on their roster.

Draft Grade: C-

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
My ***Official*** #calledit for 2019 is only that Anthony Miller will be widely viewed by the end of this season as a Top 10 NFL Receiver, which I believe is pretty bold. In this particular case, I am not necessarily entering it in a #calledit fashion, but simply passing on information from a very good friend of mine that happens to be an authority on KState football who I will not disclose. Just trying to help out my fellow Bear fans, and for what it is worth, he gives me both the negative and positive info. Why I am being attacked here with some sort of false accusation of looking for #calledit credit is not applicable.
Pretty bold nothing. It is a crazy prediction. Not only does he have to be better than the #1 receiver on the Bears, he has to be better than the #1 receiver on 23 teams and hope that no #2 receiver (or later) has a great year.

Of course, I would love that to happen but I just don't see it happening.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looking at the film, I thought Devin Singletary was the more explosive back. Not by a lot, but he seemed to have more burst. Ah well, I'm at least excited about Stephen Denmark. If there was ever a perfect body for a safety in today's NFL, he would be it.