My thoughts on the draft: Round 1

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I usually do a bunch of mock drafts to get my football takes out. I’m doing something different this year.

— I had CW as the top QB prospect in this draft. It hasn’t changed. What has changed, though, is I think JJ may go 2nd overall! Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Maye go 2.

— At 9, I’ve been leaning towards the Bears wanting a DE, usually Verse. Latest intel seems to be a DT with Byron Murphy Being the trendy chic pick. I’m not sure about DT at 9. I’d like to see what we have with the 4 taken last year.

Poles seems to be using the draft for premium positions that one doesn’t usually get in FA.

Premium positions in order of positional value:
1.) QB
2.) DE
3.) WR
4.) LT
5.) CB

Everything else seems to flow from that value.

My heart wants a WR. I really want MHJ and would be happy with a trade up for either him or the other two top 3.

Now, the dark horse is Bowers. My man Brett Coleman said he’s the best Hback he’s ever seen. Bowers would allow for a 2 back set that would put stress on a LB having to cover him as FB coming out of the backfield. Bowers has taken carries.

Bowers would allow for the DEEBO role people want to ascribe to other WRs like Malachi Corley. The final thing about Bowers is, unlike Corley and the other YAC WRs in the draft, that he can play the big X role. Lining up in a 2 TE/2 RB heavy formation and motioning to Bowers out to the big X could really do some damage. The hybridity he brings as an offensive weapon would validate him, but, he’s a TE. Poles may take him should we trade back, but I’m not sure he takes a lower valued position at 9.

So, the Bears trading up wouldn’t be a bad decision. The bears trading back wouldn’t be terrible.

The Bears drafting a DE and straight up wrecking shit as CeeDubz drops dimes would be a thing of beauty.

You all don’t like to hear about Cooper DeJean, but giving Eberflus a chess piece that would always be a variable would be a powerful weapon.

Now, LT. I don’t know how anyone passes up Joe Alt. I don’t want that pick at all. I’d get it and be fine. With a QB like CeeDubz, we could see WRs more like FGB does: draft ‘em late and let the system cook.

Having said all of that, I’d like to see two offensive weapons in the first round.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I usually do a bunch of mock drafts to get my football takes out. I’m doing something different this year.

— I had CW as the top QB prospect in this draft. It hasn’t changed. What has changed, though, is I think JJ may go 2nd overall! Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Maye go 2.

— At 9, I’ve been leaning towards the Bears wanting a DE, usually Verse. Latest intel seems to be a DT with Byron Murphy Being the trendy chic pick. I’m not sure about DT at 9. I’d like to see what we have with the 4 taken last year.

Poles seems to be using the draft for premium positions that one doesn’t usually get in FA.

1.) QB
2.) DE
3.) WR
4.) LT
5.) CB

My heart wants a WR. I really want MHJ and would be happy with a trade up for either him or the other two top 3.

Now, the dark horse is Bowers. My man Brett Coleman said he’s the best Hback he’s ever seen. Bowers would allow for a 2 back set that would put stress on a LB having to cover him as FB coming out of the backfield. Bowers has taken carries.

Bowers would allow for the DEEBO role people want to ascribe to other WRs like Malachi Corley. The final thing about Bowers is, unlike Corley and the other YAC WRs in the draft, that he can play the big X role. Lining up in a 2 TE/2 RB heavy formation and motioning to Bowers out to the big X could really do some damage. The hybridity he brings as an offensive weapon would validate him, but, he’s a TE. Poles may take him should we trade back, but I’m not sure he takes a lower valued position at 9.

So, the Bears trading up wouldn’t be a bad decision. The bears trading back wouldn’t be terrible.

The Bears drafting a DE and straight up wrecking shit as CeeDubz drops dimes would be a thing of beauty.

You all don’t like to hear about Cooper DeJean, but giving Eberflus a chess piece that would always be a variable would be a powerful weapon.

Now, LT. I don’t know how anyone passes up Joe Alt. I don’t want that pick at all. I’d get it and be fine. With a QB like CeeDubz, we could see WRs more like FGB does: draft ‘em late and let the system cook.

Having said all of that, I’d like to see two offensive weapons in the first round.
There's the same # of DTs making over $20m a year as there are Ts. Obviously more QBs and a few more WRs. That's it. The league values top DTs quite a bit. The issue is whether or not a guy is 'TOP'.

Other than that, I can't disagree and the fact that all three options are somewhat viable means this team neither stacked nor desperate in personnel.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

1.) QB
2.) DE
3.) WR
4.) LT
5.) CB

I thought you would be planning a draft day trade for Bijan in this thread.

:)

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bears only drafted 3 DT’s last year. One got poached off the PS by the Falcons and then got cut. Pickens was garbage last year. Even an improvement still leaves him below average

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Bears only drafted 3 DT’s last year. One got poached off the PS by the Falcons and then got cut. Pickens was garbage last year. Even an improvement still leaves him below average
Yeah, I think Pickens isn’t going to pan out. I hope I’m wrong and still give him 2 more years but dude doesn’t have a killer instinct. Hell, in his recent interview, he said he is barely knowing how to speak to people without being afraid or nervous. That’s not a knock on him. But if you are like that at age 24, that’s a little worrisome. You have to be mean out there in the NFL. There are silent ones that let their play do the talking. But personality goes a long way in football. Especially on the D line in the NFL. Even Tim Duncan talked shit on the court in his own way. I’m hoping the kid can turn it around. But I’m just getting that vibe with him.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Another thing we could do with the ninth pick is trade back and take Jackson powers johnson and pick up a second rounder to get another WR or DE.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Another thing we could do with the ninth pick is trade back and take Jackson powers johnson and pick up a second rounder to get another WR or DE.
We can definitely. But Poles said he wanted “top talent”. I believe we will end up with 3 top 15 players in this draft. He’s going to be making some moves. That’s my guess.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Poles is big into RAS scores. JPJ tested poorly for the RAS(could be thinking of someone else), I doubt he drafts JPJ

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Poles is big into RAS scores. JPJ tested poorly for the RAS(could be thinking of someone else), I doubt he drafts JPJ
I’d rather Barton. Dude can play all spots but can shine more in the inside than the outside. Dude is a beast. JPJ is just a center and that’s it. But JPJ didn’t test poorly.

1714002555147.jpeg

1714002611695.jpeg

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Maybe Graham Barton. Maybe. I don’t see Poles taking JPJ. He’s a big traits and analytics guy. There other OL in the first he might take over him, like Fuaga.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
List values based on stuff Poles hasn't done?
If we go by what Poles does and where he places his value it will be OT or DB at 9.

As far as your value list goes I think DBs are valued high for 1st round even at the bottom of the list. That would be an extremely special player. It's why I believed the BPA hype about his first 2 DBs, the 2nd round is generally high for the position.
For 1st round talent I'd probably trade DB with LB and put LB between DE and WR. Great WRs are often had around 20, this is a rare year.

I think what happens without a trade is the BPA at 9. Placing value on position doesn't matter when you're looking at top 10. You get the best talent.
Many on CCS will say that as long as it's the position they value but in a year where the big board is filled with offense the excuses start flying.

Sadly I'm thinking the top 3 WRs are gone by 9. I don't think we'll have a lot of obvious options for top 10 talent.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
No trade with Pit for Fields... then a trade back from 1.1 for the "haul"?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Watching my dudes celebrating draftmas eve and EJ brought up that Jaheim Hines as his dream pick late for the Bears. He wants him for much the same reason I want Bowers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His measured height score and lack of speed/agility testing to raise the mean brings that score down. If he's got the arm length (he does) the height is not an issue at C. Nice for a relatively shorter QB to have a better view and 6'3" is not a concern. He didn't run at the combine as he had a hamstring but ran a 5 flat (green) at his pro day and those speed and agility scores would have averaged him back into an overall green score. His RAS is not what will dissuade Poles.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1714053141275.png
If you look at the height score disparity, you'll notice the lower score is for G and the RAS I created from available data is for C where, as i stated, height isn't as much of an attribute.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I wouldn't say he was garbage.....yes in the pass rush, which he showed very little ...agree there...but when he and AFSK were in there together they flat out shut down the middle vs the run. But you're right about his non-existent pass rush. I'm expecting improvement from both he & AFSK this upcoming season. And Stevenson while we're at it. Imo, the 2023 draft could become a Top-10 Bears' All-Time draft. Wright, AFSK, Stevenson, Smith, Pickens and RoJo all should improve and hopefully Scott can take it to the next level. That's potentially 7 contributors from 1 draft. Sorry, I've gotten off topic. I'm rambling now....lol....

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Hey DF, huge fan here. These are my top 10 predictions FINAL EDITION

1.1 - Bears - Caleb Williams

1.2 - Redskins - Drake Maye

1.3 - Vikings - Jayden Daniels

1.4 - Cardinals - Joe Alt

1.5 - Chargers - Marvin Harrison Jr

1.6 - Giants - Rome Odunze

1.7 - Titans - JC Latham

1.8 - Falcons - Dallas Turner