My thoughts/rant

BluesBroJake

Liked Posts:
I’m new to the board, I have been a bears fan my whole life and that won’t change.

I love talking Bears football, I fully recognize I could be wrong on every point, and I welcome an open discussion.

My thoughts on the state of the Bears are as follows

I don’t believe in Ted Philips or the McCaskeys and I think they are the reason the Bears have been consistently bad for as long as they have been. These two failed to produce any kind of sustained continuity and if you listen to them speak and see their actions, they don’t display any of the qualities I think good leaders possess. They are not transparent which to me shows that they don’t believe in themselves. When reporters ask the tough questions, McCaskey and Philips deflect and don’t take ownership of their mistakes. That aside I think their biggest short coming is their inability to evaluate, utilize, and develop other leaders within the organization.

Developing and utilizing talent is the name of the game, the teams that do this better, will always finish better. It sucks to say but Naggy has opportunities in both these areas. I like Naggy, I think he has the right attitude and I think the players play hard for him but he was brought in to make the offense productive and he hasn’t executed in that area.

Naggy failed to develop and utilize Trubisky, he also had major influence in the decision to bring in Foles and nothing good has come of that either. I realize that Foles and Trubisky don’t have the most talent between them but I do think a better coach would’ve produced better results with the pair.

In 2018 the Bears offense was successful running RPO plays. This is what Trubisky is better at and for some reason Naggy has gone farther away from that over the last two seasons. Naggy also doesn’t do a good job of getting the running backs consistently involved in the passing game, they should be running a low to high passing progression where the backs catch the ball in space. Trubisky is a threat with his legs, another talent Naggy failed to utilize. If you watch other mobile quarterbacks you will see plays and even whole packages designed around this talent. How many designed QB runs did the Bears use this year or even last year? It wasn’t many. Trubisky had over 400 yards rushing in 2018, in both 2019 and 2020 he had under 200. Some of this comes from the RPO but this equals 20 more first downs each year which is significant for an offense as bad as the Bears. 20 first downs would extend a few more drives throughout the season and probably put a few more points on the board. 20 first downs for an 8-8 team, who lost some close games, could be the difference between 9-7 or even 10-6. I’m not saying this one thing turns around the entire offense but it is a microcosm of what is going on within the entire offense.

Trubisky deserves his portion of the blame on this as well. There have been plenty of missed throws and bad reads and just bad play. But there is a reason McVay and Shanahan get their non-elite QBs to the Super Bowl, and it is because they are able utilize their QBs strengths, minimize their weaknesses.

Patterson’s mis-use is another example of mis-used talent. Why are they handing the ball off to him out of the backfield? It was so painfully obvious what was going to happen every time he was in the game and really tough to watch at times. A better coach is able to design plays to get Patterson in the open field instead of running dives into the middle of the line every single time.

Naggy was able to keep the team together during a brutal stretch of football this year, which is very commendable and speaks to how well he has the teams ear, but the offense was undoubtedly better when Lazor took over the play calling. The last thing I will say on Naggy is that I just don’t feel like the Bears are well coached from a game management standpoint. They give up way too many penalties and they burn more dumb time outs than a high school football team on week 1. Well coached teams do not have these issues.

Ryan Pace

Despite passing on Mahomes and Watson, I think he has done a decent job of drafting and I also give him credit for building a good defense. But there have been plenty of bad draft picks, the Foles move was always a head scratcher for me, and as a leader I feel he has the same issues as Philips and McCaskey. He deflects the tough questions about Trubisky and when I listen to him talk it just seems like a lot of words with nothing really being said.

Given what you’ve read to this point you can imagine that my outlook is not good, but I think we need to be realistic.

The Bears can be a better team than they were this year but for the reasons above I think they will struggle next year.

This will result in Naggy and Pace being replaced.

Under this scenario I think it wise if ownership not let Pace use assets/draft picks beyond this years draft.

As an owner I feel this is the right move for two reasons.

One, if Pace and Naggy succeed this year you can always extend them. Also who knows how long Pace is even signed for? Even though I don’t think they are great at what they do, if Pace and Naggy can show they can get better while being a little more successful each year, ultimately the continuity this creates is better than starting from scratch.

Two, if Naggy and Pace are not successful this year, by limiting Pace’s use of future draft picks, you give the new regime (or even Pace with a new coach) more assets to work with and better chance to be successful.

This means Wentz will not be a Bear this year. I think Wentz has talent but why would anyone believe Naggy is going to get the best out of him? If Naggy is gone next year, will the next coach want Wentz? Why would Wentz want the Bears? Not that he has any control, but the Colts have a much better O-line and team overall. I didn’t really like the way Wentz handled his benching this year and he does have some injury concerns. Any kind of back injury for an athlete it is always concerning, plus Wentz still hasn’t been able to nail down his mechanics. To me this seems very familiar to the Cutler move for the Bears, this time around it just comes with more desperation.

I’ve been hearing a lot of the talking heads out there say the Bears are a contender with Wentz. I don’t think those people see the O-line issues that I do, they don’t see Naggy’s inability to utilize talent, and they don’t see a defense that has been good but has also been on the decline the last two years.

I see the Bears biggest needs as: QB, O-line, WR, and D-line

I think easiest path to success this year is for the Bears to bring back Trubisky and let him and Foles go at it again.

I know that seems like a crazy thing to say but here me out.

It’s a good fit for Mitch and for the Bears, he knows the offense and the chance he has to start for the Bears is more than he will get anywhere else. If Bears can get him cheap, why not? The Bears will also be better able to address their other needs.

I think the continuity of this move has a huge upside as well.

Both QBs know the offense. It’s tough to learn and NFL offense and be good at running it in the first year. I hated Cutler, but the guy had to learn a new offense almost every year he was with the Bears, that has a negative effect whether people admit it or not.

The other upside to this move is the Foles affect. Trubisky and Foles have already proven they can work well together. If Foles plays and is better than he was last year behind an upgraded online, I think that is an easier path to success than bringing in a QB like Wentz this year, and also sets the Bears up better by having all their draft picks for next year.

Another idea I don’t mind is if the Bears roll with Foles and draft a QB in this years 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. I know the chances of getting a future starting QB that way are slim but this way the other needs still get addressed and maybe Pace will start drafting a QB every year like he said he would.

The Bears also need to tag Allen Robinson, if Pace somehow lets him get away this year, that will seal his fate. Robinson is another player that Naggy has failed to utilize to his strengths, but I could go up and down the roster on that.

Sorry to drag on.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Beau Down!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
You speak a lot about patients to get the QB position fix, but Nagy and Pace do not have that luxury. If they do not get a FA or Drafted QB, they do not buy themselves any time and next year they will need to win in the playoffs, maybe even contend for a SB to save their jobs.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
You speak a lot about patients to get the QB position fix, but Nagy and Pace do not have that luxury. If they do not get a FA or Drafted QB, they do not buy themselves any time and next year they will need to win in the playoffs, maybe even contend for a SB to save their jobs.
I think the Bears want to keep Pace and Nagy and it will take a reason to fire them. If they think there is progress they stay. We need a VP of Football Operations to oversee the Football side. It is the only way it will fix these issues but this may not happen until the ownership changes which I expect sooner than later.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, whatever. Real question is who is your favorite bears QB and why is it Jay Cutler?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is something else. If he had hit on a QB in 2017 (Mahomes/Watson), many around the league would consider him a top GM. He does have a weird ability to find hidden gems later in the draft. That said, he has continually botched the QB position. Trubisky, Foles, Glennon. That is a horrible track record. And then you pair that with 4 top 10 picks in which 3 of them were busts. I agree that the Bears should limit his ability to trade future picks outside of 2021, but at that point it's like why even bring him back? He is desperate af right now. I'm not a huge fan of going out and acquiring a guy like Wentz/Carr.

With all the secrecy around Pace's contract, alot of people are speculating that he is safe for awhile. If that's the case, the Bears best option long term is to stay put at 20. If a QB falls, grab them. Otherwise, draft a MF tackle and get a WR in round 2. Then draft in the trenches the rest of the draft. Keep all the picks, fix the cap and just start Foles.

This would ultimately fuck Nagy, but who cares. That guy sucks. Watching him coach against guys like McVay, you can tell he is completely outmatched.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Ryan Pace is something else. If he had hit on a QB in 2017 (Mahomes/Watson), many around the league would consider him a top GM. He does have a weird ability to find hidden gems later in the draft. That said, he has continually botched the QB position. Trubisky, Foles, Glennon. That is a horrible track record. And then you pair that with 4 top 10 picks in which 3 of them were busts. I agree that the Bears should limit his ability to trade future picks outside of 2021, but at that point it's like why even bring him back? He is desperate af right now. I'm not a huge fan of going out and acquiring a guy like Wentz/Carr.

With all the secrecy around Pace's contract, alot of people are speculating that he is safe for awhile. If that's the case, the Bears best option long term is to stay put at 20. If a QB falls, grab them. Otherwise, draft a MF tackle and get a WR in round 2. Then draft in the trenches the rest of the draft. Keep all the picks, fix the cap and just start Foles.

This would ultimately fuck Nagy, but who cares. That guy sucks. Watching him coach against guys like McVay, you can tell he is completely outmatched.

Nagy has fucked up a lot more than just the QB position. Even bigger than QB is the HC position.

EDIT: Pace fucked up more than just the QB position.

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nagy has fucked up a lot more than just the QB position. Even bigger than QB is the HC position.
This is a good point. I'm not sure wtf was up with the Fox hire.

I actually understand the Nagy hire. He was a hot name and being from the Reid tree gave him even more recognition. Everyone was pretty happy after 2018. He has just continually regressed it seems and obviously struggles with personnel decisions.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The last thing I want to do is read a book while viewing this site. Can someone post his book to cliff notes so I can go back and get the gist of it?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was a good 1st post but I agree with this. If one of the top 5 QBs are there at 20, and we haven't already addressed the position with something more viable than last year, I don't see how you pass.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Pace plan to build on the already good defense, add the best defensive player in the league to it, then get your franchise qb via the draft for cheap and compete for a trip to the super bowl for 5 years was nearly executed perfectly - except for the fatal flaw of choosing the wrong QB.

Id give him another shot as I largely believe he is a good GM that either can't identify QB talent himself, or relies to heavily on those who don't know either.

He gets 2 more years to try and make up for his colossal mistake. Even he can't fuck this QB market up can he...?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think the Bears want to keep Pace and Nagy and it will take a reason to fire them. If they think there is progress they stay. We need a VP of Football Operations to oversee the Football side. It is the only way it will fix these issues but this may not happen until the ownership changes which I expect sooner than later.
There wasn’t progress from 2019 to 2020. Unless you call getting lucky progress.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems neither Trubisky nor Nagy want to work with each other. I don't blame either of them.

The RPOs did not work. They stopped working with Trubisky and Foles was abysmal.

Our Oline has been spotty at best. They were just horrible in 2019 and the Bears found a work around just this last year.

I think the Bears biggest problem is Nagy then QB then oline.....I suppose a really good QB can overcome Nagy, but the Bears don't have access to a really good QB

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
There wasn’t progress from 2019 to 2020. Unless you call getting lucky progress.
Our opinion did not matter to them. They kept them anyway. Same thing will happen in 2022. They will look everywhere for an excuse to keep them. It is a lot of work to replace them. They are not good at it. The oldest franchise in the NFL had to beg for help to hire Pace. Sad.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Our opinion did not matter to them. They kept them anyway. Same thing will happen in 2022. They will look everywhere for an excuse to keep them. It is a lot of work to replace them. They are not good at it. The oldest franchise in the NFL had to beg for help to hire Pace. Sad.
It’s not my opinion though. It is fact that they did not get better unless your only guideline is making the playoffs and that was a gimme from the league.

RubberBanMan

I’m just a fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with the thought that pace and nagy may not be in as much hot water as people think. I was listening a bit about this on that ‘tape never lies’ show and they talked about how they could have sold the idea that the qb market isn’t there this offseason for an immediate fix so the biggest thing they want to show is progress. If they draft a trey lance or mac jones they will hope they can play them at some point and show them improving as the season ends and get a 1-2 year contract extension.

Who knows. Time will tell