Nagy confirms they will install some of the OSU plays/concepts to give Fields a head start

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Look I don't want him taking unnecessary hits and potentially getting HURT. Ya got that

Majority of teams run some spread option including some of the best such as KC and Seattle. The key is that fields is smart in handling it how those qbs do

They don't do it much with Mahomes( I saw him get hurt doing the Sp OPS) and Wilson has already complained about being hit to much on the reg.

It allows defensive players to take clean shots on the Qb regardless. There are many other plays to better use his skills.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
For u Spread read Option ppl. Here's why I don't wanna see Fields running that garbage. Mahomes was concussed on the play.

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don’t want to see too many designed runs for fields. Sprinkle em in, but I want to see him use his legs to buy time and go deep or take off for big gains when the play breaks down

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For u Spread read Option ppl. Here's why I don't wanna see Fields running that garbage. Mahomes was concussed on the play.

That is just a single play in a spread option. No one is saying the Bears have to run a play like that. The spread option in an RPO offense isn't typically running sweeps like that. They are running plays where the QB is in shotgun with a RB next to them and they hand off to the RB on an inside run or keep it to pass or run themselves.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
That is just a single play in a spread option. No one is saying the Bears have to run a play like that. The spread option in an RPO offense isn't typically running sweeps like that. They are running plays where the QB is in shotgun with a RB next to them and they hand off to the RB on an inside run or keep it to pass or run themselves.

I know what the Spread Read Option is. It's an updated version of the wishbone from the gun, without the 3backs. The D can hit the Qb at will in the Spread Read Option. The DC's tell the defenders to take out the Qb
And I don't want my qb taking shots.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know what the Spread Read Option is. It's an updated version of the wishbone from the gun, without the 3backs. The D can hit the Qb at will in the Spread Read Option. The DC's tell the defenders to take out the Qb
And I don't want my qb taking shots.

There are 3 options here. Hand off to the Running Back, keep it and run, or keep it and throw the ball. At the NFL level, the vast majority of the time the QB is handing it to the RB or keeping it and throwing it.

Nagy already calls a lot of RPO out of the spread option. The issue is Mitch used to fuck up the read. They also called it with Foles who again typically handed off to the RB or kept it and threw. He wasn't out there running around.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
There are 3 options here. Hand off to the Running Back, keep it and run, or keep it and throw the ball. At the NFL level, the vast majority of the time the QB is handing it to the RB or keeping it and throwing it.

Fields has 4.4 speed the tendency will be to have him keep it on designed runs. I've seen it with others like him.
Again, I understand various offenses and I have played football. I already know how the Spread Read Option operates.

( Hand off to the Running Back, keep it and run) Right.
And....The D can hit the Qb at will
in the Spread Read Option. The DC's tell the defenders to take out the Qb And I don't want my qb taking shots and potentially getting HURT. . I don't like this "option" scheme for a Qb.
I'm good with a traditional "s-gun".

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fields has 4.4 speed the tendency will be to have him keep it on designed runs. I've seen it with others like him.
Again, I understand various offenses and I have played football. I already know how the Spread Read Option operates.

in the Spread Read Option. The DC's tell the defenders to take out the Qb And I don't want my qb taking shots and potentially getting HURT. . I don't like this "option" scheme for a Qb.

Trubs had 4.6 speed and they did not have him run on many designed runs. Perhaps we should wait and see what happens instead of you assuming things that are unknowable right now.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am kind of confused by this. First Nagy confirms Dalton is the QB for the upcoming year then in early May he publicly talks about implementing OSU plays to make Fields comfortable. Just seems like more noise to me. Can't picture Belichick engaging in this type of talk, nor understand the reasoning for this talk. If that's your plan to run the OSU offense, just do it.

Reactions: Myk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The OSU plays he is referring to are likely already have similar plays in the Bears playbook. Just a question of focusing on plays he is really good at.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Trubs had 4.6 speed and they did not have him run on many designed runs. Perhaps we should wait and see what happens instead of you assuming things that are unknowable right now.

The thread is about the Bears incorporating the OSU playbook. I've seen him do quite a few designed runs from the Spread Ops at OSU.
I don't wanna see that at the pro level. And I don't want my qb taking shots and potentially getting HURT.
That's my thought and it's not going to change. That's it. We can stop here.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The OSU playbook includes more than just designed runs. You are being narrow minded. The Spread Option is more than that. That's my thought and it's not going to change. That's it. We can stop here.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The thread is about the Bears incorporating the OSU playbook. I've seen him do quite a few designed runs from the Spread Ops at OSU.
I don't wanna see that at the pro level. And I don't want my qb taking shots and potentially getting HURT.
That's my thought and it's not going to change. That's it. We can stop here.
They are going to implement some OSU concepts...not run the OSU offense. Don’t make it out to be more than it is...

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
They are going to implement some OSU concepts...not run the OSU offense. Don’t make it out to be more than it is...

I wasn't, I was pointing out the part of their offense I didn't like. Two-thirds of the read option can get a Qb cracked. ( Hand off to the Running Back, keep it and run).
The OP likes to go on & on trying to explain stuff I already know. The OP also feels a need to always "be right", be the "expert on most things" and get in the last word.

If we can implement the things from OSU that moves the football and keeps Fields outta harms way, I'm all for it. (y)

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
When "handing off", in Sp Ops. your reading the DE's and deciding on the fly whether to 'give or go'. That's when the D can
legally take a shot at the Qb. The S-gun.... PA and pass play keeps the Qb outta danger if the pass pro is there.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The spread option and read option are two different things. You can run read option out of the spread option but you can also run RPOs out of the spread option and it is the latter that is prevalent in the NFL not the former. In the RPO your options are typically HB run or pass not the QB keeping it.

Justin Fields never had more than 500 yards rushing. He was not running a ton of read option. OSU's spread option had more RPOs. By contrast Trey Lance had over 1k yards rushing he was running more read options.

Most of Fields running in the NFL will be on scrambles IMO not read options.

So the Bears will run spread option. The Bears will run RPOs. But I would agree with you because I seriously doubt the Bears are going to run a ton of read options.

Last edited: