Nagy on Trubisky: "I never get into mechanics."

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Idk, I think the days have making your QB throw like a robot are long gone. QBs like Rivers, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. have all shown that throwing the ball from different angles isn't a big deal, and sometimes can be helpful.
Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think footwork is more important then throwing motion. Especially if your throwing motion appears to work and you are accurate - see Mahomes. If your throwing motion is dogshit and you can't hit the broad side of a barn, then yeah it could use some work.

mbison

Liked Posts:
WTF? This is the most concerning answer I've ever heard Nagy give. How in the fucking hell do you not talk mechanics with your young QB? How you throw is how you throw? Unreal....

THATS NOT NAGYS JOB! what do you think position coaches are for?? Learn how football works

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Its the spiritual answer. You don't change somebodies mechanics especially at this level. You don't need a professional QB thinking about throwing, something they have excelled at their entire life.

nagy is a guru...he knows you leave some things alone and control what you can. I love his answer.
I don't agree with that. I mean, sure, sometimes you don't mess with a 3rd yr QB's mechanics, but I think sometimes you do. I would with Mich, he throws better when he steps into the throw, is facing the right direction, etc. I think he can absorb tweaks to his mechanics without throwing him off his instincts.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You guys are misinterpreting what he's saying. He was just saying he's not a teacher/prof in a vocational school that focuses on automotive repair.

"Nagy admits he doesn't coach mechanics"

giphy.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He throws with his fucking foot off the ground. I wouldn't let a friend play darts like that far less a pro QB.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He throws with his fucking foot off the ground. I wouldn't let a friend play darts like that far less a pro QB.
Your dart Nazi ways would never make it as an NFL coach!

BearUp

Liked Posts:
“Run as much as you can, just don’t take extra hits,’’ Nagy said. “His legs are a huge weapon for us, so I’m an idiot if I take his legs away because there are a lot of quarterbacks that don’t have his legs. Trust me, go to the 31 other defensive coordinators and ask about how concerned they are about him running the football. It’s a weapon.’’

From this article...

The bold may be true, but ask those same 31 defensive coodinators how concerned they are about him THROWING the football and...?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Hopefully, he was just referring to throwing mechanics and not footwork ?‍♂️ .

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that there are position coaches, but that sounds strange coming from an offensive guru HC whose young starter struggles with accuracy: "How ever you throw, you throw."

I mean, this is probably Mitch's biggest problem...lol.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I get that there are position coaches, but that sounds strange coming from an offensive guru HC whose young starter struggles with accuracy: "How ever you throw, you throw."

I don't think it is his biggest problem. His biggest problems in my eyes are the speed of the game, the multiple options in this offense (decision making),his eyes, and Kyle Long. If those can be ameliorated, I believe his accuracy issues will settle somewhat.

*edited to add Long.

mbison

Liked Posts:

the coach isn’t going to stop practice because Mitches footworks were off during a play. That’s why practices are records. So the position coaches can analze and correct a player during their 1 on 1 or positions time.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your dart Nazi ways would never make it as an NFL coach!

No but I won't be taking an L and buying shots without making sure my partner's mechanics are in order.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If only being a QB was just target practice alone. Trubisky has bigger problems than accuracy. And those problems have an effect on his accuracy. I'm not saying he will break out at some point, or turn the corner, as they say. And we know in hindsight Pace could have made a better choice. I just don't think all is lost yet with Trubisky.

And the Nagy bashing in the past week or so, has been amusing, but dumb.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
For me you'd work mechanics in the off season and the preseason, but once the season gets going it's too much to think about. Go play. Like a golfer who's thinking about making a swing rather than hitting a shot. Doesn't work at the highest levels.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Mitch’s biggest issue is he can’t read a fucking defense and go through progressions 30 starts into his career. By the numbers he was decently accurate last season.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Clearly a lot of you have never played football before. Mechanics is something a QB coach talks about not necessary the head coach all the time
wow, your peewee league had QB coaches! impressive

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
So basically just get used to seeing Trubs throw it over people's heads because we aren't working on his footwork or release point that causes this?