NESN: Tom Thibodeau 'Almost Guaranteed' to Coach Chicago Bulls

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Report: Tom Thibodeau 'Almost Guaranteed' to Coach Chicago Bulls by Evans Clinchy on Jun 3, 2010 2:14:52 PM
Defense wins championships, as they always say. Apparently, it also gets you into a whole lot of off-the-court distractions as your team is mere hours away from tipping off the NBA Finals.

Tom Thibodeau, the associate to Celtics head coach Doc Rivers who is widely regarded as the defensive mastermind of the staff, has been the center of a series of rumors this past week as speculation abounds about various head-coaching vacancies around the league.

After turning the Celtics around three years ago and turning them into a defense-first championship contender, Thibodeau has been in high demand. With the glut of open coaching positions this summer, his name has risen to the top of the heap, and he's getting a whole lot of media attention in the middle of the Celtics' Finals run.

First there were the New Orleans Hornets, who fired Byron Scott nine games into the season back in November and have been led by GM Jeff Bower on an interim basis since. ESPN.com's Mark Stein reported a week ago that Bower made a formal offer to Thibodeau on May 25 to take over the reins -- but Thibodeau appears to have no interest.

Next, the New Jersey Nets have been actively looking for a replacement this spring, and word out of the Garden State last weekend was that Thibodeau and former Mavericks coach Avery Johnson were the two front-runners there. Again, lots of buzz, but again, no response from Thibodeau.

Then Thursday morning, the picture got a little bit clearer.

Here's what we've learned, courtesy of the New York Post:

•Thibodeau has finally rejected the Hornets after leaving their offer on the table for a week unanswered.
•Johnson, not Thibodeau, is the favorite in the race to take over in New Jersey.
•Thibodeau, according to a Post source, is now "almost guaranteed" to end up coaching the Chicago Bulls next season.
It would be an intriguing turn for Thibodeau -- three years ago, he helped turn the Celtics around and make them a title-winner, and now, he could have that same opportunity with the Bulls.

Thibodeau is hardly the only big name linked to Chicago this summer. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have all been rumored as possibilities to join the Bulls' current nucleus of Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and Luol Deng. The Bulls were a fringe playoff team this season, but down the road, there's a whole lot of buzz about what this franchise is capable of.

Rivers has always said that he roots for his assistants to move on to better things. He welcomes it. And for Thibodeau, it would be hard to do much better than the Bulls, a team that's on the rise and looking for the right man to lead the way.

But at the moment, Thibodeau needs to stick to his roots. He and the Celtics have a championship to win.

here it is

sicko

Liked Posts:
that would be a GREAT hire! sure it is not a big name hire but Bosh, LeBron and Wade are all very familiar with Thibodeau style and his defense

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
wonder if thibs could lock down lebron and bosh

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wanted him or Scott to coach the Bulls, so I'm happy. Scott may coach the Cavs though

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
They also said Dwyane Wade is a possibility to join the Bulls. :rolleyes:

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
this is awesome. He is a great defensive mind and LBJ is a defensive guy!

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i'd guess pretty soon

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Yeah, a lot has been made about the FO not being rushed and taking as late as July.

The thing about this is, that they (GarPax) must have told him something solid, if he declined the NO position and dropped out of the running for the NJ position too. I also read that today.

TeamToews

Yeah, a lot has been made about the FO not being rushed and taking as late as July.

The thing about this is, that they (GarPax) must have told him something solid, if he declined the NO position and dropped out of the running for the NJ position too. I also read that today.

Bingo!

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Here's a new wrinkle.

Report: Tom Thibodeau more interested in Nets job - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports

Report: Tom Thibodeau more interested in Nets job
Wed Jun 02,2010 9:42 PM ET By Kurt Helin
Tom Thibodeau has a bird in the hand -- an offer from the New Orleans Hornets. They want an answer.

But the New Jersey Nets have expressed interest, and that has led to a dilemma for Thibodeau, according to Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated (via twitter).

Multiple sources have told SI that Thibodeau is more interested in New Jersey (and to a lesser extent, Chicago) than New Orleans.

The Nets, sources say, have a mutual interest in Thibodeau but have not identified him as their top candidate as of yet

Friends of Thibodeau are not surprised that Thibs is stretching this process out. He has often had difficulty making this type of decision

Is the bird in the hand worth a Russian billionaire in the bush?

JCM

CCS Mod
Liked Posts:
I wanted him or Scott to coach the Bulls, so I'm happy. Scott may coach the Cavs though

yep, i want either thins or scott.

ill be happy with any of them.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ya i wouldnt understand how anyone wouldnt want lord byron

TeamToews

It's amazing to me how anyone could be more interested in the Nets job than the Bulls. Honestly it blows my fucking mind.

JCM

CCS Mod
Liked Posts:
maybe because they are moving to Brooklyn?
1sm032dunno.gif