New Data That Shows That Tradedowns Are Not All Bad

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/breaking-down-the-nfl-draft/

Some poster(s) have continuously said that trading down is for morons. Yet, that has been proven to be a false statement.

I had previously shown that, in NFL draft history, there is a greater chance for a player drafted in the first 5 slots of the NFL draft of becoming a Hall of Fame player compared to draft picks in any other slot. It is obvious because most NFL drafts usually have 5 or less true blue chip players. Though there have been busts everywhere throughout the draft, the blue chip players have outweighed other positions in regards to being more talented and safer picks.

Now Tony Villioti from National Football Post has come up with a new drafting study that splits the top 4 from the next level (5-13) in the 1st round. From there he goes on to split the rest of the draft into 6 more levels.

Each draft slot in each level has approximately the same chance of success as any other in the same level. Since the Bears draft 7th, they fall within the 5 through 13 level. This means that the Bears can have approximately just as much success at 7 as they do at 13 to not have a bust football player. If the Bears trade down a few spots (not beyond 12 or 13), they historically have the same chance of getting just as good of a player.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Trading down always makes sense if the player you have rated highest will be available at the slot you trade down to. Outside of that, it is a crao shoot, just like the rest of the draft.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh look another trade down clown article from some moron dicklicker nitwit blogger. :yawn:

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
i did some research during the season refuting the idea that you should lose to get a better draft slot. i did it from 6-10 and 11-15. and picks 11-15 yielded the same or more elite players as 6-10. there was no historical advantage to picking, say, 8 as compared to 14.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Oh look another trade down clown article from some moron dicklicker nitwit blogger. :yawn:

When you get several articles in an online national site, you too can move up to being some moron dicklicker nitwit blogger.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
The reason people get agitated about talking about trade-down scenarios is because it likely will not happen. Everyone wants to trade down to pick up two guys high on their board rather than only one player that may be rated slightly higher. Teams know the draft can be a crapshoot, so if an opportunity to trade down is available they will take it for the higher chances of getting a solid player. In reality though, a trade of good value will be not be available and the team will have to draft their #1 player on the board.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ommy not going to like this at all.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you get several articles in an online national site, you too can move up to being some moron dicklicker nitwit blogger.

Reread he hate me and imagine it is omelet saying it.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Trade down clowns need to learn the game and get off my lawn

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Imagine how much cap space you could save if you only had 7th round draft picks.. :cum:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i did some research during the season refuting the idea that you should lose to get a better draft slot. i did it from 6-10 and 11-15. and picks 11-15 yielded the same or more elite players as 6-10. there was no historical advantage to picking, say, 8 as compared to 14.

I guess it depends on how much you lose. How about 1-5? I get that you can drop a few spots after 5 in most drafts but what happens after 14 and in this draft after about at about 12. I'm not drafting away from Shelton, Mariota or Beasley to get a Safety or RT at 13. Generalities can be correct, generally, but each draft is still unique in it's talent level, both positional and overall.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can the data be new when they're all old?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

sigh

Did you research the difference between averages and individuals?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Trade down clowns need to learn the game and get off my lawn

Why cant I thank this twice?

As for the thread--its Special person if you're plan A is to get rid of the pick.

This is fucking simple. Someone special has to fall, causing another team to give up a kings ransom in order to move up to pick the player. Then trading down is permissible; like 2 1sts including 2015 and more picks.

Otherwise, take the BPA.

Ali-Frazier

Liked Posts:
Think we can get Michael Haynes & Rex Grossman? Good thing we passed on that scrub Suggs.