"new playbook!! Give him 5 years!!"

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yesterday's outstanding performance seems to be a great example that the whole "You cant expect him to be good with a new system" has been a bullshit excuse.

There was a good game plan, Mitch had command of what was being used, and that is how things SHOULD be. Great job all the way around.

I held off on being judgemental with the guy thus far, but since he has shown he can do everything required when things are clicking just right, It is time to start expecting as much on a weekly basis.

If he continues to prepare as well as he did this week, we are in for a pretty nice decade or so.
We shall see.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Still waiting on Mojorisin to elaborate on his assertion that both Nagy and Childress said it takes a QB 5 years to be competent in their system. Not only is it simply idiotic at face value, the fact that Mojorisin thinks TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE said such a thing makes it all the more incredible.

I assume Trubisky's performance is related to Nagy finally installed "hot reads" in the Bears offense.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My biggest concern with him was his accuracy. On a lot of the throws he attempted in prior games, he made the right decision, but the throw was piss poor.

I just needed to see that he was capable of making such throws, and he definitely showed it yesterday.

As you said, now that he has shown that he can do it, he needs to consistently show it. I'm not expecting 6 TDs a game, but I do expect him to be on the mark, for the most part, when a guy is wide open or has a step on a defender.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
Nice to imagine isn’t it. Decades of just dealing and hoping and excusing... now, potentially, years of maybe... the opposite?

Just fun. All of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I've been told not to expect the same from him week in and week out.

"QB progress is not linear"

"Not every defense is this soft"

I was not shy about being pumped for a great game, but I fully expect debate re: expectations to continue

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nice to imagine isn’t it. Decades of just dealing and hoping and excusing... now, potentially, years of maybe... the opposite?

Just fun. All of it.

It is.
I would love to jump on the Mitch-train but I told myself I would watch the season as impartially as I can.

Sure has been up and down thus far... with today of course being the only up.
But it was one hell of an up.

mac bear

Liked Posts:
My biggest concern with him was his accuracy. On a lot of the throws he attempted in prior games, he made the right decision, but the throw was piss poor.

I just needed to see that he was capable of making such throws, and he definitely showed it yesterday.

As you said, now that he has shown that he can do it, he needs to consistently show it. I'm not expecting 6 TDs a game, but I do expect him to be on the mark, for the most part, when a guy is wide open or has a step on a defender.

Have you read the pieces on how hard he works? Nagy said that after a 3 hour practice, he stayed another hour just chucking long balls into a net 50 yards down field. Paraphrasing, Pace and or Nagy said, after Trubs netted 10 to 12 in a row, ‘that work is going to pay off’.

Work ethic: check.

Accuracy (natural ability): check.

Coachability: check check.

Scheme and playbook and knowing pieces (coach period!: check.

Fun.

Check!

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I've been told not to expect the same from him week in and week out.

"QB progress is not linear"

"Not every defense is this soft"

I was not shy about being pumped for a great game, but I fully expect debate re: expectations to continue

Exactly. So next week he should throw for 7 TDs. The next week it should be 8 TDs. The next week it should be 9 TDs!

By mid year, the Bears offense should be the greatest offense to even take the field in NFL history. #excited

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Have you read the pieces on how hard he works? Nagy said that after a 3 hour practice, he stayed another hour just chucking long balls into a net 50 yards down field. Paraphrasing, Pace and or Nagy said, after Trubs netted 10 to 12 in a row, ‘that work is going to pay off’.

Work ethic: check.

Accuracy (natural ability): check.

Coachability: check check.

Scheme and playbook and knowing pieces (coach period!: check.

Fun.

Check!

I am very much hoping to see him get cooler under pressure... but there are a lot of games left. we shall see.

That is what makes having a cool head over yesterdays game possible. there still are some issues to look for.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
This is a complex system, the people who are saying to have patience were right. Nothing that happened yesterday changes that. As good as the offense looked yesterday, that's how much better it'll look after 1 or 2 more years

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe all this came from the fact that it took 5 years for Smith to do what he did....4k passing highest TD total..highest QB rating......I think that was the comment Nagy said....not that it took him 5 years to learn the playbook, but that he was with the Chiefs for 5 years before he had his best stat line....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For the last fucking time.

He said it took Alex Smith 5 years to MASTER the offense.

Yesterday was a great first step in that process, but it will come back down and go back up, before MASTERY is gain.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

If you go back to his UNC tape you can see physically he is capable of amazing accuracy and is very turn over averse. That is why I think he has the greatest staying power of all these 2017 QB's. As he and Nagy start to really find their sweet spot, I see great things coming.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Exactly. So next week he should throw for 7 TDs. The next week it should be 8 TDs. The next week it should be 9 TDs!

By mid year, the Bears offense should be the greatest offense to even take the field in NFL history. #excited

Strawman.

I am referring to those who say "progress is not linear" with stats lines so that when the head coach opens up a new section of the playbook, and the QB struggles with new reads, we can then temper expectations.

I have no problem with that logic; it makes sense. But it is also part and parcel of progress itself to open up a playbook and diversify offensive modes of attack as he goes along.

STATS will not be linear sure, but progress in insinuating the playbook and opening up while not suffering too much of a dip in stats should be linear (and the valleys rare and shallow) if the system is to attain success over multiple years.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

He didn't say anything like this.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Yesterday was a great first step in that process, but it will come back down and go back up, before MASTERY is gain.
seinfeld.jpg

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Verbatim:

Considering that Nagy and Childress both said it takes around 5 years to be competent in this offense, I'm not surprised that the offense has not mastered the entire playbook yet. I don't think it hurts to scale it back a tad to what they do well and then increase it slowly. Given how poor the O (Mitch and the Oline mostly) looks, it really can't hurt.