Next Year bears have 121M in cap space

Visionman

Liked Posts:
FALSE

Signing bonus: Money earned by a player for signing his contract. Typically paid out within the first 12-18 months. Prorated against the salary cap for the life of the contract (five-season maximum). This is how the Cowboys could afford to give Dak Prescott a $66 million signing bonus this offseason. For cap purposes, Prescott's signing bonus counts for $13.2 million against the Cowboys' salary cap for each of the next five seasons (four-year contract plus 2025, a void year).

Umm, that proves my point, not disproves it. Lol

msadows

Liked Posts:
Umm, that proves my point, not disproves it. Lol

Its prorated against the salary cap. When the player gets his signing bonus and how it counts against the cap is not the same.

It's why we we will still be "paying" danny t as a cap hit even when he isn't on the team anymore.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Woot can still make big moves this year by offering less money 1st year and paying the chunk 2nd year if Poles finds someone he really likes

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Being an NFL GM is so easy, random ccs posters could do it!
being an CCS member is rough, motherfuckers cant see that they got POLED.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Its prorated against the salary cap. When the player gets his signing bonus and how it counts against the cap is not the same.

It's why we we will still be "paying" danny t as a cap hit even when he isn't on the team anymore.
Do you know what the conversation is/was? It wasn’t that…

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Here's the thing, why didnt we wait until we signed some FA first instead of trading mack today? if we knew we could dump salary anyways?
Cuz his 5m roster bonus is due the 3rd day of the league year. Kinda makes sense to trade him BEFORE you give him 5m.

Seriously, this isn't complicated. Wipe away the tears and look at it logically.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cuz his 5m roster bonus is due the 3rd day of the league year. Kinda makes sense to trade him BEFORE you give him 5m.

Seriously, this isn't complicated. Wipe away the tears and look at it logically.
Nah…. It’s easier to just run around screaming “pOlez iZ A dUMmYy”!!!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You dumb goobers do realize they can backload and use that cap # on FA's this year, right?

Go all in on armstead. Fuck it.
That's what got Mack traded for a bag of chips. Too much backloading. The other thing about next year's cap is that we still have 1/2 a roster to fill. filling that out will drastically affect the cap. The Bears likely don't currently have 30 players under contract that will make this year's 54.

msadows

Liked Posts:
That's what got Mack traded for a bag of chips. Too much backloading. The other thing about next year's cap is that we still have 1/2 a roster to fill. filling that out will drastically affect the cap. The Bears likely don't currently have 30 players under contract that will make this year's 54.

No, what got him traded for a bag of chips is the fact he's been injured for multiple years now and has declined in performance all those years.

Not sure what this has anything to do with his backloaded contract. Every great NFL player has a backloaded contract, it isn't some magic that pace discovered.

Simply put, if mack wasn't shitty and injured the last few years he could make the most money in the NFL and some team would throw as a 1st for him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No, what got him traded for a bag of chips is the fact he's been injured for multiple years now and has declined in performance all those years.

Not sure what this has anything to do with his backloaded contract. Every great NFL player has a backloaded contract, it isn't some magic that pace discovered.

Simply put, if mack wasn't shitty and injured the last few years he could make the most money in the NFL and some team would throw as a 1st for him.
So a soon to be healthy Mack would have been worth his salary on this team during a rebuild with little ability to properly fill the roster around him. Got it.(y)

Would you like to bet an over/under on sacks next year. How about 9? That's a bit over his career average.

He just fixed what caused his issues. This trade was about cap and cap alone. The bag of chips happened because we needed the cap. It's called cause and effect. Look it up.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
So a soon to be healthy Mack would have been worth his salary on this team during a rebuild with little ability to properly fill the roster around him. Got it.(y)

Would you like to bet an over/under on sacks next year. How about 9? That's a bit over his career average.

He just fixed what caused his issues. This trade was about cap and cap alone. The bag of chips happened because we needed the cap. It's called cause and effect. Look it up.

I could give a fuck less. He's no longer a bear.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

Prorating and backloading are two different things. You can backload salary. But the guaranteed portion of a contract is prorated over a negotiated period of time at a maximum of 5 years. Let's say a player signs a 5 year 100 million dollar deal with 20 million guaranted. You can backload a ton of the salary (i.e. the non guaranteed portion of the deal into the later years) but the 20 million will be prorated for salary cap purpsoes.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Will extra cap space help Fields read defenses?

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you know what the conversation is/was? It wasn’t that…
Please explain your position on this a little more clearly, because the conversation that I read was someone said we had 121 million in cap next year but that doesn’t mean we can’t sign a player this year and back load the contract so the cat hit would effectively hit next year.

Then you replied “You can only backload salary, not the signing bonuses”. Which is factually incorrect, and everyone now agrees that signing bonuses are spread out through the life of the contract without Ramifications immediately.

I think the person you replied to original thought was we could sign a player to a 4 year contract with a base salary of 5 mil per year and a 30 mil bonus and this year would cost our cap 4 mil and the remaining 3 years could be 15 per. So essentially his idea was we could sign anyone we want to now because we have cap later.

So, exactly what did you mean by no free agent would sign here without a signing bonus?

Last edited: