NFC North Q&A: Can Alshon Jeffery rise to top-five receiver status?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4702931/nfc-north-qa-can-alshon-jeffery-rise-to-top-5-receiver-status

Today’s question: Alshon Jeffery is one of the top all-time receivers in Bears history, but he played in only nine games last season because of injuries. After signing his franchise-tag tender, Jeffery stayed away from the Bears’ voluntary offseason program to train in South Florida. Do you think Jeffery will overcome his injury problems and play like a top-five receiver in 2016?

Rob Demovsky, Green Bay Packers reporter: It’s probably not fair to call Jeffery injury-prone because he played in all 16 games in 2013 and 2014. But he needs to bounce back from last year’s injury-riddled season that finished with him on injured reserve. The bigger issue/distraction might be his contract situation. Skipping the voluntary portion of the offseason program after signing the $14.6 million franchise tender doesn’t exactly send the best message, even if he was working out diligently on his own. And if Kevin White can come back from his own injury issues, then perhaps the Bears wouldn’t need Jeffery to play like a top-five receiver.

Mike Rothstein, Detroit Lions reporter: If he’s healthy, he’s got a shot. His numbers last year were skewed by injury, but if you project them over a full season, he would have had 1,435 yards –- good enough for sixth in the league and ahead of Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green and Demaryius Thomas. While he won’t have Brandon Marshall or Matt Forte or Martellus Bennett to provide cushion from double-teams anymore, he does have last year’s first-round pick, Kevin White. If White plays to a decent level in his first true NFL season, that should provide enough attention for defenses to not double-team Jeffery all that much. And then it’s about his health. Before last season, he played in every game in 2014 and 2013. So history would say he has a chance -- and if he does, watch out.

Ben Goessling, Minnesota Vikings reporter: If he doesn’t, the Bears are going to be in for a world of trouble on offense. Kevin White could give the offense a big boost if he’s healthy, but he’s still effectively a rookie in terms of game experience. There’s no Matt Forte and no Martellus Bennett. It’s easy to envision Jay Cutler resorting to jump balls for Jeffery, and if Jeffery is healthy, he could easily be the most dominant receiver in the division. That title is up for grabs, with the retirement of Calvin Johnson retiring and Jordy Nelson coming back from a torn ACL, and Jeffery can be the player teams dread if he stays on the field. The Bears certainly are counting on him to do that in 2016.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
top 5 WR in the league is a pretty crowded spot, I would not even put him the top 10.

With that said, he has the talent to be a top flight guy, he just needs to do it for a full season.

Washington

Liked Posts:
He for sure has the talent to be a top 10 WR, but the top 5 has too many variables out of his own control. He'll be limited by average QB play which is impacted itself by the play of the OL which could be a question mark in addition to conservative play calling due to the QB needing to be throttled like last season. In the right system with the right QB, Jeffrey is a star WR.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
He for sure has the talent to be a top 10 WR, but the top 5 has too many variables out of his own control. He'll be limited by average QB play which is impacted itself by the play of the OL which could be a question mark in addition to conservative play calling due to the QB needing to be throttled like last season. In the right system with the right QB, Jeffrey is a star WR.

You know what I would rather have than a top 5 WR, two top 10 WRs.

To begin with, if Alshon had played all 16 games at the level he played in 2015, he would have been a top 6 WR. People are calling him injury prone but seem to ignore his 2013 and 2014 seasons where he didn't miss a game. So basically in a contract year, he probably will have very impressive numbers.

White is the wild card. He is an unknown but he has all the physical tools to thrive as a secondary target.

If the run game is successful, it will force the defense to not be able to double team either of them.

I can dream about the two top 10 WRs, can't I?

Washington

Liked Posts:
You know what I would rather have than a top 5 WR, two top 10 WRs.

To begin with, if Alshon had played all 16 games at the level he played in 2015, he would have been a top 6 WR. People are calling him injury prone but seem to ignore his 2013 and 2014 seasons where he didn't miss a game. So basically in a contract year, he probably will have very impressive numbers.

White is the wild card. He is an unknown but he has all the physical tools to thrive as a secondary target.

If the run game is successful, it will force the defense to not be able to double team either of them.

I can dream about the two top 10 WRs, can't I?

I concur with this and we had that scenario with Alshon and Marshall and it was quite the tandem but FoxPace did not want to coach a non choir boy and it was dismantled. We could have it again with Alshon and White.

I don't get the injury prone talk either when he played the whole season the previous 2 seasons. My only concern is that Alshon might not have his head in the game and is trying to be shown the door where he could pick a team of his choice after this season. There seem to be signs pointing this direction.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Knowing our luck, he'll play into his late 30s and still be kicking ass.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jeffery is all time great Bears receiver? How shitty is yall's history?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Weird question. What happens at age 32? If Marshall is catching passes from Christian Hackenberg, then I don't think he'll be a top 5 WR in 2016. But, again, that's kind of an arbitrary cutoff.

All those other guys are right in or entering their prime years where you would expect them to be as good or better. Where as with Marshall, it is not unreasonable to think that he will start to decline a little.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Jeffery is all time great Bears receiver? How shitty is yall's history?

Really Shitty. Speaking of shitty history, save for Luckman of 60+ years ago, Cutler is considered by some here to be one of the all time great QBs of the franchise. Now that defines SHITTY.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really Shitty. I can one up that one. Cutler is considered by some here to be one of the all time great QBs of the franchise :). Now look at shitty.

Im a Saints fan and I cant say much, but I didnt think the Bears franchise was that.

Washington

Liked Posts:
All those other guys are right in or entering their prime years where you would expect them to be as good or better. Where as with Marshall, it is not unreasonable to think that he will start to decline a little.

What in his 1500 yard 14TD season from a journeyman QB points to a decline in productivity?

Washington

Liked Posts:
Im a Saints fan and I cant say much, but I didnt think the Bears franchise was that.

We have been that and then some. But, the Bears are not the laughingstock the Cubs have been. Neither has brought much pleasure to those of us who have lived over a half a century though.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What in his 1500 yard 14TD season from a journeyman QB points to a decline in productivity?

He did nothing to show decline last year. But as he gets older, do you keep expecting top 5 production until he proves otherwise? Or do you make an assumption that there might start to be a decline in the current year?

Washington

Liked Posts:
He did nothing to show decline last year. But as he gets older, do you keep expecting top 5 production until he proves otherwise? Or do you make an assumption that there might start to be a decline in the current year?

Well, yes, law of averages say that as he gets older he will decline. I think that has happened in probably close to 100% of the players who have played the game with any longevity.

I would make that "decline" judgment one year at a time. He's shown no signs of any decline now. His QB play impacts a lot of what some might call a decline. As Rory said, if he's catching balls from Hack, his stats will decline big time, but would that accurately reflect his talent? I see Marshall being able to play at an extremely high level well into his 30s.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Well, yes, law of averages say that as he gets older he will decline. I think that has happened in probably close to 100% of the players who have played the game with any longevity.

I would make that "decline" judgment one year at a time. He's shown no signs of any decline now. His QB play impacts a lot of what some might call a decline. As Rory said, if he's catching balls from Hack, his stats will decline big time, but would that accurately reflect his talent? I see Marshall being able to play at an extremely high level well into his 30s.

Like others have said, top 5 is tough because so many variables have to align. I think it is possible but unlikely.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

You can't say much with Brees?

Hell, Archie Manning was really good, but he was stuck on a really crappy team.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My top 5 WRs right now are:

1) Antonio Brown
2) Julio Jones
3) DeAndre Hopkins
4) Brandon Marshall
5) Odell Beckham

Pretty solid. I'd go Brown, Odell, Julio, DeAndre, then you can almost interchange AJ Green, Demaryius, Marshall, Alshon, Jordy.