NFL Kickoff is in Jeopardy

Visionman

Liked Posts:
They aren't concerned with any injuries. Just brain injuries. And higher impact collisions tend to cause them more often...

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
They aren't concerned with any injuries. Just brain injuries. And higher impact collisions tend to cause them more often...

Yes so the owners and league don't get sued like they did 15 years down the line. But what sucks is they're changing the game - drastically. And they have been doing it year after year since Roger came into power.

When is enough? It's all about money. I get that. But damn, why change the whole game how it was meant to be played. The moving of the kickoffs really pissed me off 4 years ago.

And to come up with gimmick safety plays....with a punt...smh.

Players know the risks and should- KNOW possible injuries- playing a violent game. Maybe sign a waiver. shit. I'm not gonna watch millionaires play flag football. Next is two hand touch on the QB - no more sacks because the owners invest too much money in their QBs.

Bottom line this will set a precedent -that NFL will be soft because of greedy owners.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Thanks - I appreciate the response. Interesting stuff. It's a start, but nothing about kickoffs vs. other plays.
It was actually tougher to find than I originally thought it was. I can just say that anecdotally in my referee clinics/meetings special emphasis is placed upon watching out for safety fouls on special teams plays. As for which special teams plays they are talking about, I've always been under the assumption it's kickoffs and punts. On these plays a return man has a lot more open field to change direction, and that change of direction is where there is concern. You have a return man change direction, and the tackler moves with him not looking and gets decleated by a blocker - you're pretty much guaranteed to be looked at for a concussion.

The other issue with how they report in these things is that it's easier to say Benny Cunningham goes under the games lost for RBs as opposed to STs, even though it's possible that in some games he sees more action through ST than lining up behind Mitch. You have to remember, aside from long snapper, kicker, and punter there isn't really a defined position for special teams. You and I know what is meant by gunners and personal protectors, but somebody just going through the data might not make that distinction.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yes so the owners and league don't get sued like they did 15 years down the line. But what sucks is they're changing the game - drastically. And they have been doing it year after year since Roger came into power.

When is enough? It's all about money. I get that. But damn, why change the whole game how it was meant to be played. The moving of the kickoffs really pissed me off 4 years ago.

And to come up with gimmick safety plays....with a punt...smh.

Players know the risks and should- KNOW possible injuries- playing a violent game. Maybe sign a waiver. shit. I'm not gonna watch millionaires play flag football. Next is two hand touch on the QB - no more sacks because the owners invest too much money in their QBs.

Bottom line this will set a precedent -that NFL will be soft because of greedy owners.

This is all on greedy players. They agreed to play for those contracts back in the day, but older players now want to cash in on the success of the NFL they helped "build".

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
These are the kickoff "rule adjustments" they're considering. More of a punt than a kickoff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-will-make-kickoffs-much-more-of-a-punt-play/

Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said the changes, which came largely at the recommendation of special teams coaches who participated in the league’s two-day safety summit, would make kickoffs “much more of a punt play,” Kevin Seifert of ESPN reports.

The NFL seeks to reduce the space and speed of the collisions on kickoffs, which produced 71 concussions between 2015-17, according to McKay.

According to Seifert, the changes include: Coverage teams would lose the 5-yard head start they previously had; five players required to align on each side of the kicker; elimination of all wedge blocks, including two-man double teams; eight of the 11 return team members would line up within 15 yards of the restraining line, with blocking prohibited within those 15 yards; and elimination of pre-kick motion.

Onside kick rules would remain mostly the same.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I don't understand why they don't just have the players sign a waiver eliminating the NFL from any liability in the event of head injuries. Sure they may lose a couple of players initially like the Borlands of the world, but I would guess most players would take the risk for generational wealth. I can think of several jobs that are much more dangerous and life threatening that get paid a fraction of what NFL players do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don't understand why they don't just have the players sign a waiver eliminating the NFL from any liability in the event of head injuries. Sure they may lose a couple of players initially like the Borlands of the world, but I would guess most players would take the risk for generational wealth. I can think of several jobs that are much more dangerous and life threatening that get paid a fraction of what NFL players do.

Not a bad thought, but

(1) Union would never go for it.

(2) Contrary to popular belief, signing a waiver doesn’t magically eliminate culpability. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. From there, all it takes is a sympathetic judge to move forward under some generic grounds.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

The idea is to make the game safer not just to protect profits. Players killing themselves with swiss cheese for brains is bad press and makes parents less likely to encourage their children to play. There is a trickle down effect they would like to avoid.

This idea ain't bad. Beats the hell out of just getting the ball at the 25 after a TD. If they construct it correctly, it may even be more exciting then current kickoffs. Only around 40% of kick are returned with current rules.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
I've been saying this forever. Sign a waiver.

I know the players assoc. won't go for it, but damn pay them extra on ST.

MMA has them sign waivers, and they go thru a hella of a beating than a kick off. Kids don't need to do it early on. This has been evident of new rule for College Football.

The Alliance Football won't make it as a "sport" - meaning willing to bet on. It'll be a farm system if anything. The XFL will be full blown what sports entertainment will be about - what the NFL used to be and could be

This sport almost lasted 100 years -now it's so long kick offs. Shame. I'm off my soap box.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Waivers only keep the lawsuits at a minimum. Teams can be sued regardless of any waiver that's been signed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL has been on a media blitz the last 2 offseasons around removing the kickoff. imo they have been intentionally trying to break fans in slowly and allow the idea to normalize. imo, its just a matter of time before its gone.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
Waivers only keep the lawsuits at a minimum. Teams can be sued regardless of any waiver that's been signed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree, especially since it's a union. Lot a red tape there. It just feels like the owners are wanting it even more. I'm sure there's some high money lawyer talk to get it done to preserve the kickoffs. It's the most exciting part of the game - well used to be till they started to fuck with it.

And it doesn't help that the Packers President is head of the competition committee is wanting no more kick offs. like that fuck head Jeff Fisher.