NFL Trade Deadline - Projected NFL Trades

Liked Posts:
That is a trade that makes sense for the Bears.

But I see these types of trades discussed when people talk of teams that are "out of it", with no regard to contract situation, etc. If Tampa can't draft another Gerald McCoy with the pick we give them, what sense does it make for them? I mean, being out of it now is one thing, but why make themselves worse in the future.

Teams out of contention trading older players to stockpile picks makes sense. Trading one player, who is still young, for a pick unlikely to net his equivalent makes no sense.

Because I believe McCoy is up for a new contract after this season, I do believe Tampa will be picking high enough to have the pick of the litter at the DT position in the draft for a kid like a Will Sutton or Anthony Johnson type in the first round & then go in a different direction with their two second round picks. With the level of talent coming out of the draft these days, second & third round picks do have a lot of value. Plus having two second round picks would also give Tampa the ammo to trade for another first if they wanted too. I think the trade makes sense for both sides. Hell the Bears could even throw in the extra sixth they got for Carimi & I'd still like the deal as long as McCoy were kept around long term.

hester247

Liked Posts:
my dream scenario:
Trade 2nd round pick to Tamp for McCoy
Sign Michael Johnson in offseason
Cut Julius Peppers
Re-sign Melton-due to be much cheaper coming off the injury
Re-sign Corey Wooten
cut or trade McClellin

Reactions: X

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind trading a low pick for Vinny Curry even though we need a DT more than a DE at this point and Curry is just a "hey maybe he'll pan out" kind of risk. liked his talent coming out of school

Liked Posts:
my dream scenario:
Trade 2nd round pick to Tamp for McCoy
Sign Michael Johnson in offseason
Cut Julius Peppers
Re-sign Melton-due to be much cheaper coming off the injury
Re-sign Corey Wooten
cut or trade McClellin

That's what I've been hoping with when it comes to McCoy & Michael Johnson.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
One of the mods on here once suggested the Bears offer Tampa a second round pick for McCoy. IMO that would be a move, or the move worth making for a young 3-tech that would be worth trading for & keeping around to warrant using a draft pick to get him. The Bears are likely going to use one of their first two picks on a DT anyway & McCoy is already a proven commodity that's still very young.

Tampa is a mess. Trading for McCoy was probably the best trade scenario I've heard from anyone one here, McCoy, minus the "staff" would make the perfect addition for the defense now & for the long term. Offer Tampa a second & a bottle of cipro for McCoy.

Lol - ain't know way cipro is going to fix that shit down there though. They need vanco.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One of the mods on here once suggested the Bears offer Tampa a second round pick for McCoy. IMO that would be a move, or the move worth making for a young 3-tech that would be worth trading for & keeping around to warrant using a draft pick to get him. The Bears are likely going to use one of their first two picks on a DT anyway & McCoy is already a proven commodity that's still very young.

Tampa is a mess. Trading for McCoy was probably the best trade scenario I've heard from anyone one here, McCoy, minus the "staff" would make the perfect addition for the defense now & for the long term. Offer Tampa a second & a bottle of cipro for McCoy.

That is a trade that makes sense for the Bears.

But I see these types of trades discussed when people talk of teams that are "out of it", with no regard to contract situation, etc. If Tampa can't draft another Gerald McCoy with the pick we give them, what sense does it make for them? I mean, being out of it now is one thing, but why make themselves worse in the future.

Teams out of contention trading older players to stockpile picks makes sense. Trading one player, who is still young, for a pick unlikely to net his equivalent makes no sense.

I was the one who suggested that -- but even as I typed it initially, I think Tampa would balk at the idea, for the reason that TL1961 stated. It'd probably take more than a 2nd, especially given another year on his contract. I'd love to have him, but not interested in giving up a 1st, and I don't think Tampa'd take a late 2nd.

Liked Posts:

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of trading for either Antonio Smith or McCoy but there is no way to get them under the Bears current cap situation. Richard Seymour is out there unattached but apparently he wants 5MM to play this year and that wont fit into their cap. I believe our team has about 3MM in cap space left. I am not certain but I do not believe they can just cut guys to save a couple of million and get one of these guy to fit into their cap. I believe after a specific date they owe that player his full salary and I believe that date passed a long time ago.

The reality is the Bears have to go with what they got and hope the offense for once can carry the defense a bit.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I wonder how incentives work against the cap? Coaxing Seymour in seems like the best option, honestly.

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of trading for either Antonio Smith or McCoy but there is no way to get them under the Bears current cap situation. Richard Seymour is out there unattached but apparently he wants 5MM to play this year and that wont fit into their cap. I believe our team has about 3MM in cap space left. I am not certain but I do not believe they can just cut guys to save a couple of million and get one of these guy to fit into their cap. I believe after a specific date they owe that player his full salary and I believe that date passed a long time ago.

The reality is the Bears have to go with what they got and hope the offense for once can carry the defense a bit.

What is the current cap situation? I thought after reworking J-Webbs deal & Bennetts deal, some on here had said that Emery had cleared up roughly 4 million in space. If getting a good DT meant giving Hester his walking papers also I'd be ok with it, if it even did open up more space. I'm ready to see Ford moving forward anyway.

MacBear

Liked Posts:
no matter what it is, something has to be done. whether it be a trade or a top FA available.

not doing something would be the equivelent to giving up on this season, which goes against everything emery has said regarding the bears competing.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you trade Shea to a 3-4 team for a good DT? That way we keep picks and get a player that fits better with the rest of our personnel.

The Burning Bear

Liked Posts:
Would you trade Shea to a 3-4 team for a good DT? That way we keep picks and get a player that fits better with the rest of our personnel.

It's not about whether I would trade him as much as whether anyone would trade FOR him. I don't know how much value he has left at this point. If we could get a good DT for him I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd prefer said DT to be under the age of 30, though, and I don't know that anyone would be willing to do that.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not about whether I would trade him as much as whether anyone would trade FOR him. I don't know how much value he has left at this point. If we could get a good DT for him I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd prefer said DT to be under the age of 30, though, and I don't know that anyone would be willing to do that.

It would definitely have to be a balanced trade. A young really out of postition player in Shea for another young and possibly out of position or under utilized DT from another team. I don't know if thay scenario exists but it would be great if we could find it. Shea could possible be a great addition for a team like the Texans but do they have someone that could be equally as promising for us.