NHL working on crossbar, blue-line cameras in time for playoffs

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
link
There's simply too much at stake in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The NHL is reportedly planning to install cameras "inside the crossbar, looking down" and "along the blue line" in time for the postseason, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman's latest "30 Thoughts" column.
"The plan is to install (blue-line cameras) in the 16 arenas that will host postseason games," Friedman writes. "On the penalty box side, they will be set along the surface. The players' bench is trickier, so the mount will be above the ice."
Offside reviews have been a point of contention this year, as the NHL works out the kinks of its first year with video replay.
As for cameras inside goalposts, Friedman adds that the NHL "is not as bullish as it once was" about the idea. "Too much is obstructed."
The playoffs are scheduled to begin Wednesday, April 13.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It couldn't hurt, as long as they are reviewed in Toronto. Not on some rookie ref's Iphone.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
This should have been done years ago. I'm sure they have had the technology for a long time. How many goal/non goal calls were there where you couldn't really tell what was going on or where the puck truly was. Sure, these cameras will sometimes get blocked but atleast they have an angle that can truly determine what happened if unblocked. Also - I'd like to see some sort of camera angle that can help determine high stick goals - another big one where the angle is everything and its truly hard to determine what was below/above the crossbar.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This should have been done years ago. I'm sure they have had the technology for a long time. How many goal/non goal calls were there where you couldn't really tell what was going on or where the puck truly was. Sure, these cameras will sometimes get blocked but atleast they have an angle that can truly determine what happened if unblocked. Also - I'd like to see some sort of camera angle that can help determine high stick goals - another big one where the angle is everything and its truly hard to determine what was below/above the crossbar.

I bet a camera behind the glass straight back behind the net at crossbar-level would be fairly easy to install and would make it easy to see if it was a high stick.