North Carolina

BigPete

Liked Posts:
I think the entire education (post high school) schema in this country needs to change. There is little reason to have someone stuck in a classroom for 4 years.

There needs to be an effort to make college more vocational and linear. Most of the classes I have taken rehashed lessons a number of times. The vast majority of the curriculum doesn't have much to do with the real world, only theories and concepts that will never get used once you get in front of a computer or calculator or a boss that takes his 20 years of job experiences and verbally shits all over the professor's 30 years of book knowledge.

Sadly, if I had chosen a vocational degree program I would be less versatile and it would not hold the same weight that a BA will on a resume. Oh wait...I did chose a vocational program, intel analyst in the fucking Army! Too bad I am not an analyst anymore and I need to broaden my horizons in the event the military industrial complex starts taking serious whacks at job numbers.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the entire education (post high school) schema in this country needs to change. There is little reason to have someone stuck in a classroom for 4 years.

There needs to be an effort to make college more vocational and linear. Most of the classes I have taken rehashed lessons a number of times. The vast majority of the curriculum doesn't have much to do with the real world, only theories and concepts that will never get used once you get in front of a computer or calculator or a boss that takes his 20 years of job experiences and verbally shits all over the professor's 30 years of book knowledge.

Sadly, if I had chosen a vocational degree program I would be less versatile and it would not hold the same weight that a BA will on a resume. Oh wait...I did chose a vocational program, intel analyst in the fucking Army! Too bad I am not an analyst anymore and I need to broaden my horizons in the event the military industrial complex starts taking serious whacks at job numbers.

and yet you have unrelenting support for Obama? Which is more relevant, experience or education and community activity?

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree to an extent about changing the system.

However, I also think it depends on the university you go to and their program. In many cases for the research instititions that professor's "book knowledge" is a driving part of the industry since they (and their team), are actually creating the what is next or the improvements.

You are doing Business Administration as an udergrad, which is inheriantly going to be a bit more generalized since as an undergrad the focus is supervisory\middle management. One of the problems with management at those levels is that everyone is trying to find the next best method. Just need to go to a book store to notice all the funky ways people write on how to manage. The problem is there is no silver bullet, so understanding a broad range of ideas and concepts will help a smart manager find what fits the industry and their team.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and yet you have unrelenting support for Obama? Which is more relevant, experience or education and community activity?

Hope and Change

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A school bus passing me when I am already going 10 over the limit....wait, school buses have seat belts now so it is ok.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
In any case, push the military thing, and debate how it fits some of those requirement in detail. Expect one or two initial rejections as educators cannot be wrong about their programs...but when pushed, they will give in.

QFT!!!

BigPete

Liked Posts:
You are doing Business Administration as an udergrad, which is inheriantly going to be a bit more generalized since as an undergrad the focus is supervisory\middle management. One of the problems with management at those levels is that everyone is trying to find the next best method. Just need to go to a book store to notice all the funky ways people write on how to manage. The problem is there is no silver bullet, so understanding a broad range of ideas and concepts will help a smart manager find what fits the industry and their team.

That's a very valid point, however I don't feel it justifies having to learn about ethics in no less than 8 business and management related courses. That is why I enrolled in a business ethics course, to learn all about it. I didn't need to waste 2 weeks in those 8 other classes to have it rehashed. That is just one examply, by the way. There are plenty more I could fit into this conversation.

My other issue with the undergrad program, as an adult at least, is that I have little to no use for many of the science courses (that were all to familiar to the ones I took in high school), or the psychology/logic/history of xyz/world music/etc that I have had to waste time and money on. I enjoyed many of those classes and if I was 19 they would certainly help make me a more rounded and worldy person. But that is not what I am trying to learn about. That is not what will make me better at my job or more versatile in the job market.

BigPete

Liked Posts:

What exactly has Ron Paul accomplished in congress in all his years of service?

TSD

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a very valid point, however I don't feel it justifies having to learn about ethics in no less than 8 business and management related courses. That is why I enrolled in a business ethics course, to learn all about it. I didn't need to waste 2 weeks in those 8 other classes to have it rehashed. That is just one examply, by the way. There are plenty more I could fit into this conversation.

My other issue with the undergrad program, as an adult at least, is that I have little to no use for many of the science courses (that were all to familiar to the ones I took in high school), or the psychology/logic/history of xyz/world music/etc that I have had to waste time and money on. I enjoyed many of those classes and if I was 19 they would certainly help make me a more rounded and worldy person. But that is not what I am trying to learn about. That is not what will make me better at my job or more versatile in the job market.

On that topic I am beginning to think "general education" in college is just a money racket. I have been looking at other degrees to get, and once you cut out all of the pre-reqs counting my transfer credits. Im looking at 1 year full time to get another degree (and online that is doable). That is pretty ridiculous that when you cut out the bullshit you could get a degree in a year, with just over a full time credit load per semester(5 classes).

BigPete

Liked Posts:
On that topic I am beginning to think "general education" in college is just a money racket. I have been looking at other degrees to get, and once you cut out all of the pre-reqs counting my transfer credits. Im looking at 1 year full time to get another degree (and online that is doable). That is pretty ridiculous that when you cut out the bullshit you could get a degree in a year, with just over a full time credit load per semester(5 classes).

Absolutely, however, if you don't get the next degree from the same place you got your BS then you can expect to pay this new school for 5-10 more classes just so they get 'enough' money out of you, regardless of whether you do it online or not.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Quit turning this thread into a serious discuss. Fucking trolls.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Things that are stupid. Moving the one person in the Pharmacy department that purchasing talks to, to another building while half a dozen graphic artists who interface with no other departments are still here or the 20 or so other pharmacy personnel we have nothing to do with.

The decisions made by my company continue to astound me