Not getting an elite WR in the offseason is killing the Bears

Toast88

Liked Posts:
To be fair, if the cap site is right I think they only have $7-$9 million to spend this year. Can't get much in FA with that. The answer was in the 2 2nd rounders.
Love you, Myk, but this is a myth. Bears had the 5th-7th most cap space in the NFL this past offseason. Let’s also not forget that they tried to spend $42 million on an injured DT.

They could’ve signed some O-Line and WR talent on short deals that wouldn’t have harmed either their short-term or long-term cap. Poles chose not to.

We’ll see if it all works out. Maybe Poles would simply like to evaluate young offensive talent this year rather than give money to some players who might not be on the next decent Bears team. But either way, I think it’s pretty clear his plan—whatever it is—did not include helping out this offense this past offseason or giving Getsy/Fields any weapons to play with.

Reactions: Myk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That’s part of the problem. There’s very clearly a disconnect between management and coaches on the process, what the goal of this process is, and what the message should be. Luke Getsy’s presser the other day was an embarrassment. Even Courtney Cronin made fun of Getsy insisting that they’re playing with their entire playbook right now.

I don’t know how it will all turn out. Maybe they actually will go on this massive spending spree that everyone on here is oh-so-certain they’ll go on next offseason, and they’ll kick ass and this year was just the beginning of that process.

Or maybe, just maybe, the first-time GM and first-time head coach won’t be the ones to bring the Bears out of their several-decades-long funk. Time will tell, but I’m not giving them the benefit of the doubt just because they’re the newest in a long line of Bears GMs and coaches who are convinced **they’re** the ones who will turn it around.
Different topic. I have no idea if this GM and staff are the answer but I have no issue with what they're doing. It's 3 games in and with one game that told us nothing do to the weather. Plenty of time for adjusting things. The OL hasn't even had enough time to get adjusted to each other. We're still in expended preseason mode.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Different topic. I have no idea if this GM and staff are the answer but I have no issue with what they're doing. It's 3 games in and with one game that told us nothing do to the weather. Plenty of time for adjusting things. The OL hasn't even had enough time to get adjusted to each other. We're still in expended preseason mode.
It almost certainly has to get better, even if only nominally. Just statistically, it has to. They’re at historic offensive lows through 3 games, like worst-passing-team-in-40-years bad.

This is, right now, a worse passing offense than every single Bears team (and every NFL team) of the last 4 decades, statistically-speaking.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It almost certainly has to get better, even if only nominally. Just statistically, it has to. They’re at historic offensive lows through 3 games, like worst-passing-team-in-40-years bad.

This is, right now, a worse passing offense than every single Bears team (and every NFL team) of the last 4 decades, statistically-speaking.
I'm aware and may not get better if Fields doesn't get his shit together. I liked the pick but the passing offense can't work with a guy that can't pass or at least takes what's given.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
ppl gonna be so mad when Poles uses the 1st Bears pick on D in the 2023 NFL Draft. because, ya know, Bears. tradition... of never having an Offense.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Of course they're not completely 'all in' as in thinking they could pull out every stop to win the SB. These catch phrases are sill and unreasonable. They're eating cap for the Mack trade etc but they are doing all they can to win including Poles under the conditions that are for best long term good of the team. Dumbest thing they could do right now is sell out the future for the present but it's not stopping them from doing what's overall best to win games this year while remaining physically responsible. Not really the year to sell out the future for the present.

The silly part is complaining about it.

Who's complaining?

It is what it is.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
I'm aware and may not get better if Fields doesn't get his shit together. I liked the pick but the passing offense can't work with a guy that can't pass or at least takes what's given.
Fields might not be A first ballot HOF QB. But he is given an Organization in the Bears that doesn’t seem to care.

This Season is only about his Development or lack of. IMO

2023. Bring in some hired Guns to replace the bums at WR. DL, OL. Hell our ST has six Rookies maybe seven with the Grest V. Jones

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields might not be A first ballot HOF QB. But he is given an Organization in the Bears that doesn’t seem to care.

This Season is only about his Development or lack of. IMO

2023. Bring in some hired Guns to replace the bums at WR. DL, OL. Hell our ST has six Rookies maybe seven with the Grest V. Jones
Sure but it's still a pocket league unless you're a 'running QB'. If you can't develop pocket presence or read quickly you'll never be VG.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Sure but it's still a pocket league unless you're a 'running QB'. If you can't develop pocket presence or read quickly you'll never be VG.
Thought his feet looked pretty good yesterday
Let see what the “ Gurus “ say this week, I did say A lil prayer yesterday lol

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thought his feet looked pretty good yesterday
Let see what the “ Gurus “ say this week, I did say A lil prayer yesterday lol
Definitely better but a ways to go.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Love you, Myk, but this is a myth. Bears had the 5th-7th most cap space in the NFL this past offseason. Let’s also not forget that they tried to spend $42 million on an injured DT.

They could’ve signed some O-Line and WR talent on short deals that wouldn’t have harmed either their short-term or long-term cap. Poles chose not to.

We’ll see if it all works out. Maybe Poles would simply like to evaluate young offensive talent this year rather than give money to some players who might not be on the next decent Bears team. But either way, I think it’s pretty clear his plan—whatever it is—did not include helping out this offense this past offseason or giving Getsy/Fields any weapons to play with.

That was Spotrac's (very recent) now numbers. I don't excuse Poles for not doing anything for offense previously, just saying don't expect much now. Unless their numbers are way off. They'd have to be way way off to get an elite WR.

I'm no cap wiz but can't even see how a Smith trade for an equal WR would work now unless it was a WR on an equal or cheaper rookie salary. (If Spotrac is right.)

(edit) this is what they have for cap space, $7,001,964.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
why the fuck does this have anything to do with Justin fields?

Good teams have a really really good catching threat, even WR or TE …. Point to a team that is a super bowl contender and you will find an elite catching threat.

It’s not rocket science. If the bears are to be a good team they need more than Mooney.