Now that the FA dust has settled..

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
It really is a mess and leaves very few options come draft time other than to hit on every pick and score a ton of value picks on the late rounds where the Bears have some quantity. I don't think they have the luxury of trading up with picks because Pace has pushed so much of the cap hits to future years that at some point, you need rookies on rookie contracts to step in when contracts like Fuller's and Hick's and eventually Mack's get to a point where you have to cut them from a cap standpoint. The Foles trade for a 4th rounder really stings given he is now a backup and Pace tends to do well in the at draft area. We have to get a starting OT, some Oline depth, a starting DB, WR depth (I don't think Arob is sticking around beyond this season), TE depth, developmental QB, and that's before shoring up LB and Dline. Their best hope is that Quinn returns to some form, Goldman helps on the Dline and Mack finds a groove again when surrounded by adequate talent leaving them the ability to focus on the offensive side of the ball with the draft and FA.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I assume they're going to QB/LT/CB with #20? I am still on the LT train, I think you upgrade that position you upgrade the QB, RB, TE and WR.

Leno's cap hit this year is $11M... so the bulk of his contract will be paid off this season, I would create competition there he would be a serviceable backup. His cap next year is $1.4.

I think Jimmy G gets cut post June 1 (or traded) he's going on 35 and would get $7M cap back (now we're back to $7M free -rookie pool around 0 free) - dead cap = -$3M

Hicks - I still think he's not out of the woods. If he's cut post June 1 (or traded) $10.5M back to cap. Dead cap would b $1.5M = $9M -$3M ($6M Free for 2021)

Arob - you rescind the tag and create $24M free and workout a deal with him. Is it base salary that's the sticking point? Length? Guaranteed money? In any of those scenarios you can make $24M free work, and still have cap space to sign players like Mingo, Gipson, etc.

I suppose either Jimmy G or Hicks could be packaged in a trade up scenario, either contract is manageable and is set to expire after 2021. Hicks would be more value to move up, I don't think Jimmy G offers really anything outside of the red zone.

I just don't understand why if he was good with spending $11-$12 mil on Golladay then why not go get one of these tackles that are still out there cause there's some good vets still sitting out there, and if not tackle then we still need a replacement for T.Gipson, which should be just bringing him back, i wanted K.Neal but Dallas signed him, Gipson was good for us last year though so bring him back. Also if you're gonna try for Golladay then you obviously know we need another WR so go get J.Reynolds or T.Patrick who both would be really nice pickups and probably at most $5 mil. Maybe, hopefully, he's just being patient in free agency for once and letting these players prices drop and they'll start getting worried they won't find a good job this year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Trade Graham for Gerald Everett.

Wilson gets his buddy back. Bears get a young U TE to pair with Kmet.

Kidding but I’ve wanted Everett since 2017. He got picked before Shaheen and just signed with Seattle for just $6million. He’ll be a sleeper in fantasy this year playing with Wilson.

Is D.Harris still under contract with us? I think he is but he's really nothing more than a blocking TE that can catch the occasional pass. Don't remember seeing too much of him after the first 5-6 games or so.

Fantasy wise in Seattle with Everett, i can see him having some good games but they seem to be so inconsistent with their offensive weapons over there besides Metcalf. They'll go to one for a game or two in a row and they'll have big games and then they just stop going to them, this happens with T.Lockett as well. I'd take him as a #2 TE. After Kelce, Kittle, Waller and sometimes M.Andrews it's real tough to find consistency with TE's. Got my eye on Big Bob Tonyan in any draft that i don't get one of those top guys though.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Tackles first, if that what it takes to get QB's want to come here, then go get tackles.
hopefully Tashaun Gipson re-signs, cut JimmyG and get a cheap vet for the oline and sign a WR/KR, draft 2 CBs. a WR, a project ILB replacing Trevathan in the future & draft another TE. Tank for 2022.

draft order idea for now..
OT
WR
CB
SS/FS
TE
OT
CB
ILB
-
Pace DOES NOT deserve to sign or draft a QB ever again.

I think most of us fans agree with those needs and order mostly but Pace has always been about the BPA in drafts so we'll see. I'll be curious to see everything he does with his job on the line. We'll see if he's doing a lot of moving around in this draft or trading up or down or if he stays puts and just drafts BPA or BPA by need. I also wouldn't keep RB off that list but that would be on the bottom.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
They can and they are starting Dalton. Better wrap your brane around that.

Maybe they keep their word and let him start game 1 and 2 like Glennon did. But only a fool would think the plan is to have him be the starter the whole year.

We will draft a QB and barring Dalton looking like the 2nd coming of Joe Montana, he will inevitable getting benched. No way Pace and Nagy put all their eggs in one basket, Andy Dalton, and just hope he plays well the whole year. If they don't have a legitimate backup plan they will both be gone halfway through the season.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Bears have too many needs to splurge on trading high picks in multiple drafts for a quarterback, especially considering Pace has already done this once already and it didn't pan out. I'm just being sensible with the strategy behind this here, you only make a move like that if the rest of the unit is already assembled. this team is weak at the tackles and there's many question marks for receivers. coupled with a rusher who needs opportunities to succeed and isn't consistently getting them within the playcalling under Nagy.

if one of the top quarterbacks is still available at 20 or someone just outside the fringe of the top players, I can see that happening and it won't hurt the team. I don't care about mocks or the draft at all really, who the team chooses is up to the team, not me, I don't need the added stress of worrying about what professionals do. so I don't know if it's more feasible to go OT in the 1st and see who slides into the 2nd for QBs. I don't think Robinson remains, he's like angry Jeffery as opposed to real life emo Jeffery, so they might have to grab a receiver around the 3rd or something. I don't think it matters who the quarterback is within this arrangement, I think people need to recalibrate their expectations of what the 2021 Bears are going to do on offense.

Pace has shown he can draft talent all through the draft. Yes we have some needs, but I think ownership believes in his skillset as a scout to eventually fill the needs. What has been a thorn in Pace's side has been QB. Its really the only position he hasn't been able to acquire talent at.

Pace is the one under the microscope and drafting a good OL and/or wide receiver isn't going to cut it this year. I'm sure the message going into this offseason was, move on from Trubisky and find a legitimate option at QB or else lose your job. He is being evaluated on finding a good QB for Nagy.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is D.Harris still under contract with us? I think he is but he's really nothing more than a blocking TE that can catch the occasional pass. Don't remember seeing too much of him after the first 5-6 games or so.

Fantasy wise in Seattle with Everett, i can see him having some good games but they seem to be so inconsistent with their offensive weapons over there besides Metcalf. They'll go to one for a game or two in a row and they'll have big games and then they just stop going to them, this happens with T.Lockett as well. I'd take him as a #2 TE. After Kelce, Kittle, Waller and sometimes M.Andrews it's real tough to find consistency with TE's. Got my eye on Big Bob Tonyan in any draft that i don't get one of those top guys though.

I think if Golladay would have signed, the Bears would have immediately pulled the tag from Robinson. Pace called AR's bluff, and AR folded like a cheap suit.