Now that you’ve seen an entire Poles off-season how are you feeling CCS?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I was initially disappointed in Pole's decision to target a Defensive minded head coach and to bypass making a splash signing on the offense.

But after having seeing the culture and foundation Eberflus is implementing, I can certainly see the appeal in wanting to hire him. From initial reports out of camp and watching the preseason the team looks far more disciplined and to have bought in to all that Flus and the coaching staff is expecting of them.

I think where Poles has really impressed me is in his ability to evaluate talent and be patient with his resources. I'm extremely optimistic by his decision to draft Brisker over some mediocre receiver. Drafting need over BPA is a surefire way to screw everything up imo.

Also concerning the draft. Poles showed an inate ability to find late round talent. Braxton Jones looks to be our day 1 starter at LT, and other contributing players include Dominique Robinson at DE, Trenton Gill at Punter, Tristan Ebner at RB, Jack Sanborn as a UDFA LB, etc..

I know its preseason, but it says something that in year 1, the Bears were undefeated in preseason. Our backups beat other teams backups where those GMs have had years to create good depth on their team. Yet we beat those teams.

Also Im excited to see if we found any contributors on the waiver wire. I'm most hopeful fir Armon Watts.

So, overall I'm optimistic. I think an 8/10 is a very fair grade.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I like that he ripped the band aid off. If he continues the approach of getting younger and faster, I like that too.

I still feel like the offense (the side that matters far more) is well under-resourced.

My concern is that he's brought in a head coach that may be stuck playing football that worked well in 1998.

Next year will be the key where we see what he's building.
Agree with this. Still in wait and see. I think he’s done some good things and may have salvaged a manageable OL. Feel like there was a lack of urgency to acquire playmakers for Fields though and that will be evident in season. Time will tell in draft picks. Like how he attacked free agency for the most part, he’s saving up for next offseason

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was initially disappointed in Pole's decision to target a Defensive minded head coach and to bypass making a splash signing on the offense.

But after having seeing the culture and foundation Eberflus is implementing, I can certainly see the appeal in wanting to hire him. From initial reports out of camp and watching the preseason the team looks far more disciplined and to have bought in to all that Flus and the coaching staff is expecting of them.

I think where Poles has really impressed me is in his ability to evaluate talent and be patient with his resources. I'm extremely optimistic by his decision to draft Brisker over some mediocre receiver. Drafting need over BPA is a surefire way to screw everything up imo.

Also concerning the draft. Poles showed an inate ability to find late round talent. Braxton Jones looks to be our day 1 starter at LT, and other contributing players include Dominique Robinson at DE, Trenton Gill at Punter, Tristan Ebner at RB, Jack Sanborn as a UDFA LB, etc..

I know its preseason, but it says something that in year 1, the Bears were undefeated in preseason. Our backups beat other teams backups where those GMs have had years to create good depth on their team. Yet we beat those teams.

Also Im excited to see if we found any contributors on the waiver wire. I'm most hopeful fir Armon Watts.

So, overall I'm optimistic. I think an 8/10 is a very fair grade.
Pretty much this. Was happy with the hires, knew Nagy was terrible, and that has been confirmed, like the moves that have been made, the love of RAS, the OL changes/improvements, the scheming/play-calling, and how this sets up for 2023. This year will be about implementing the system and improving, essentially Fields' first year. They will look better. They will also lose. I was 5-12 to start, but feels more like 7-10 now. NEXT YEAR I expect them to plug some holes—elite OL, elite WR, and then continue to build. There is a lot of talent on this team. But we need a few stars to really take us to the next level, and that comes in the draft and FA next year, with a ton of $$$ to spend. I'm also about 8/10.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
I am generally happy with Poles. It's only been a short Summer but a lot of people say that length isn't that important. It's the impact and Poles has had decent impact. I guess we've seen Spring Poles too. What's ahead of us is more important than what's happened behind us. I think we'll all be watching Poles with a lot of intensity now that the regular season is up. I just hope Poles has the endurance to run the length of a brutally long season. There's no point in coming out hard and then... splat in November. You need a consistent drive, a constant pounding of the opponents the entire season. That kind of stamina comes from fitness. But generally, I think we all like Poles.
:isee:

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
tearing down is the easy part
Tough to do much evaluation yet. All he has done is tear down. Let him build a bit.

He’s hired a head coach. He’s had a whole draft. He’s had free agents. He’s had waivers.

Obviously this is not the finished product by a long shot. But he’s done a lot more than just tearing down.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think he's done a good job of blowing up the team while at the same time keeping just enough in place to prevent Fields from getting shell shocked by opposing Defenses. He has made some mistakes, but generally the Bears arent saddled by any desperation contracts they will regret in '23 which imo makes for a good tear down.

But the hard part is yet to come, will judge him pretty much by how many games the team wins in '23. The Bears do have a bunch of cap space after this year, but looking at the FA list it seems they will have more cash than players to spend it on.

So far so good though.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I think he's done a good job of blowing up the team while at the same time keeping just enough in place to prevent Fields from getting shell shocked by opposing Defenses. He has made some mistakes, but generally the Bears arent saddled by any desperation contracts they will regret in '23 which imo makes for a good tear down.

But the hard part is yet to come, will judge him pretty much by how many games the team wins in '23. The Bears do have a bunch of cap space after this year, but looking at the FA list it seems they will have more cash than players to spend it on.

So far so good though.
I’m curious what you think his mistakes have been? I think he has too, all GMs do.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too early to tell.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I’m curious what you think his mistakes have been? I think he has too, all GMs do.
Mostly minor stuff that I chalk up to learning curve, but the 2 main ones I see are holding Foles long enough for his roster bonus to become garaunteed and never finding a trade to make it worth it are 1 (take the bird in hand in cap space over 2 in the bush), and focusing on a recently injured player (Ogunjobe) at the onset of FA when opportunity cost is highest was the other. I think Poles himself admitted it was a mistake that cost other potential players he would have been interested in going after and complained that in the pre-FA and opening few days there was no transparency on a players medical status. I think that's where a more experienced GM says "no shit, thats why you dont bid on the car until you get to look under the hood", but lesson learned.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There has obviously been a lot of talk this offseason about the quality of the Bears roster being near the bottom of the league in terms of talent. I think it's more of a case of unproven talent, and not a lack of it (potentially). We still don't know the answer to that part of it yet.

So far, I've really appreciated the approach Poles has taken this offseason. I was a little put off at first, but looking at it in its totality, I can definitely see the strategy emerging. I also appreciate the culture that seems to be developing.

The real test is going to be what the second offseason and following season looks like for me. He will have draft capital, a ton of cap, and a full season of tape to identify and prioritize gaps.

I'm considering this year his "baseline roster". He didn't have a ton to work with, and inherited the mess of a lot of bad decisions. Hard to hold him accountable for that, but I already think this year is going to be much more watchable and fun than I did several months ago.

7/10 - arrow pointing up.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
He’s hired a head coach. He’s had a whole draft. He’s had free agents. He’s had waivers.

Obviously this is not the finished product by a long shot. But he’s done a lot more than just tearing down.

"ALOT" more? He's clearing the roster so he can build it the way he see fit. Almost impossible to do both in one year....impossible with the Bears salary cap situation when he came in.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
There has obviously been a lot of talk this offseason about the quality of the Bears roster being near the bottom of the league in terms of talent. I think it's more of a case of unproven talent, and not a lack of it (potentially). We still don't know the answer to that part of it yet.

So far, I've really appreciated the approach Poles has taken this offseason. I was a little put off at first, but looking at it in its totality, I can definitely see the strategy emerging. I also appreciate the culture that seems to be developing.

The real test is going to be what the second offseason and following season looks like for me. He will have draft capital, a ton of cap, and a full season of tape to identify and prioritize gaps.

I'm considering this year his "baseline roster". He didn't have a ton to work with, and inherited the mess of a lot of bad decisions. Hard to hold him accountable for that, but I already think this year is going to be much more watchable and fun than I did several months ago.

7/10 - arrow pointing up.
The Foles move is #1 on my list. That was a big head scratcher.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Very premature thread OP.

Like another poster said, its a lot easier to tear the team down than it is to build it up. As of right now I haven't seen anything to make me feel any different than i did after he was hired. I think its been a mixed bag off-season for Poles. I've been down the middle, leaning towards dislike after the draft but back in the center now. If he drafts a CB at 4 im done.

CC: @playthrough2001

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
"ALOT" more? He's clearing the roster so he can build it the way he see fit. Almost impossible to do both in one year....impossible with the Bears salary cap situation when he came in.
Again. Hired new coach. Had a draft. Had waiver cuts. Etc. That’s not just “tearing down”.

Im not asking for a final grade. That would be dumb. Just wanting know how people feel about things at this moment. Just polling the room.

But if all you’ve seen is tearing down then you’re not paying attention.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars

So far so good though.
I'd agree, overall, a very good job, albeit with some quibbles.

Would probably have kept Tonga and Johnson over Blackson and Adams, given the stated desire for young talent. I'd have kept Hicks in free agency as well. Would have tried to get Faalele in the draft.

But Poles has found a lot of talent, and I think this team could be pretty good this year, and poised to make a deep playoff run in 2023-2025.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Very premature thread OP.

Like another poster said, its a lot easier to tear the team down than it is to build it up. As of right now I haven't seen anything to make me feel any different than i did after he was hired. I think its been a mixed bag off-season for Poles. I've been down the middle, leaning towards dislike after the draft but back in the center now. If he drafts a CB at 4 im done.

CC: @playthrough2001

You say it’s premature….

And then went on to answer the question. ?

Thank you for your participation!

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'd agree, overall, a very good job, albeit with some quibbles.

Would probably have kept Tonga and Johnson over Blackson and Adams, given the stated desire for young talent. I'd have kept Hicks in free agency as well. Would have tried to get Faalele in the draft.

But Poles has found a lot of talent, and I think this team could be pretty good this year, and poised to make a deep playoff run in 2023-2025.
Not a single regular season snap has taken place and already they're poised for deep playoff runs in '23-'25 lol