Observations about Bears and NFL after 2 games

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
1. The biggest difference in Jay’s game this year from the past is he has an oline that really protects him and doesnt kill drives and drain confidence with penalties. It seems logical that its much easier to make good decisions when not constantly running for your life from the big uglies. The improved play calling and pass catching TE are icing on the cake because poor oline play negates their value.

2. This group of characters on the 2013 Bears reminds me to a degree of the the quantity and quality of characters on the 85 era team. Brandon Marhall, Martlelius Bennett, Kyle Long are unique coloful personalities with strong wills and talent. Peanut and Lance standout in this regard on the defensive side. In the mid 80's our Bears dominated in the battle of who had the most charismatic characters in the NFL. They had more than this team but at least they are competing and this will make it more fun for Beardon.

3. Trestman runs his WCO simililar to Bill Walsh not only in style but because he has both smarts and guts. IMO most WCO OC’s of the recent past and present use the WCO because its a risk adverse way to move the ball with also the chance of making big chunks of yardage on occasion. However, their inclination to a safe scheme means they often lack the courage to make the smart but tough call when needed. Ron Turner this means you. The best WCO play callers like Walsh, Holmgren, and Jon Gruden are not only clever but also gutsy. Trestman runs a true WCO like Walsh designed with a predominance of short passes but also enough deep pass options to keep the defense on their heals while making a genuine commitment to the run as well. This aint easy to do and takes a strong willed, highly intelligent person to make it all come together and work.

4. Tucker is so much better at calling blitzes that work than Lovie, its ridiculous. He has added an element of unpredictability that Lovie’s defenses never had. In two games we have seen more blitzes from the corners safeties and OLB’s than Lovie and company would have used by a long shot. With this new element of unpredictability the defense could be very special. That is when and if Peppers and Melton start earning their big paychecks.

5. The Packers are not going to win the NFC North. They lost to a Niner team that appears to have lost their defensive swagger from a year ago. The Niners are not the same dominant team of 2012 and the Packers lost to them. Rodgers and company typically poured in on against a weak team. The media typically overstates the value of such a win. The Packers defense will not have a Bears team crippled by poor play calling or an injured Cutler to make them look good. Trestman can win the chess match with Dom Capers and this oline can handle their dline enough for our Bears to beat them at least once and maybe twice. The Lions and Vikes are also capable of gashing the Packers where they are vulnerable. The Vikes are better than their 0 and 2 record. If the Lions dont shoot themselves in the foot they can beat the Packers because of their playmakers.

6. The NFC is wide open. Not only are the Packers and Niners overrated but the Seahawks are more vulnerable than the experts want to admit to themselves. Seattle at home dominated a Niner team that has a Super Bowl Loss Hangover. The Seahawks can also be beat on the road or how could a weak Panther team almost beat them except for a late game fumble. Pete Carroll is a very good motivator and judge of talent but his X and O’s are average IMHO. He can be beat with superior coaching. I fear the Saints with Sean Payton more than these so called top 3 NFC teams.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you think the 49ers and Packers are weak because they have 1 loss? The Packers lost to a better team, and the 49ers lost to a team that may know them better then anyone in the league and at the same time have the talent to shut them down at home, where they shut anyone down. Seahawks and 49ers may still be the best two teams in the NFC and until the Bears can lay the Smackdown on the ePackers when they play, I won't think it possible for the Bears to win as of yet.

You may say the Packers won't win, And I will not deny that to be possible, but the Bears so far looks like a team that can't stop Rodgers and their passing attack after two weeks as well. Good thing is no team is set and has their make up for what they are in the NFL after two games.

As a Bears Fan, I'm glad they won both games, but they could just as easily be 0-2. I will not look at this and say the Packers will not win the NFC North, much as I hate to say that.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Like the positive thinking but We could easily be 0-2. Can we get a little bigger sample size before we start comparing them to the 85 bears or saying teams like niners are over rated?