Office Chairs

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
My current chair is on its last legs and was never really great, to begin with. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer professionally so I want something good when I upgrade. I really don't want to drop over a grand on a Herman Miller Aeron, but I will if I have to. Been looking around for less expensive alternatives that are close enough in performance, ergonomics, comfort, etc. The Alera Elusion keeps popping up in my research, and I found one for ~$160 for the high back model, but I'm not sure if I trust it given the price point despite many reviews singing its praises. Most people saying it's damn near as good as the Aeron at a fraction of the price. Anyone recently bought a new chair, have one they love, etc?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My current chair is on its last legs and was never really great, to begin with. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer professionally so I want something good when I upgrade. I really don't want to drop over a grand on a Herman Miller Aeron, but I will if I have to. Been looking around for less expensive alternatives that are close enough in performance, ergonomics, comfort, etc. The Alera Elusion keeps popping up in my research, and I found one for ~$160 for the high back model, but I'm not sure if I trust it given the price point despite many reviews singing its praises. Most people saying it's damn near as good as the Aeron at a fraction of the price. Anyone recently bought a new chair, have one they love, etc?
Get the Herman Miller if you can afford it. If you can't maybe @Omeletpants can advise you on how to knock some off the price before you lease it.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Pretty sure this is the chair I bought about a year ago. I was looking for something exactly like this (mid-century modern, black), and if you go to certain sites, they have the same exact pictures of this chair, but for different brands and different prices -- so be careful. I found one for $200. So far, I love this chair and it was exactly what I was looking for. You can take the head-rest and arm-rest off if you'd want. the only thing is that, with the arms on, it probably won't fit under your desk. Can't really speak to the durability of it yet since I've only had it for a year, but it's still like new for me.

Disclaimer: I'm not recommending this particular website; I didn't buy off this site, just can't remember the site I purchased from -- want to say it was ifurniture or something like that. https://www.restaurantchairstables....29&sfdr_hash=77808950fe08acdd975108109a6b3982

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
no matter how ergonomic the chair, I never seem to get it to do what I want it to do.

I wish you good fortune.

Not to go off topic but will throw this out there before OmeletDodger turns this into a cubicle thread, but our new office is all glass and we have a serious problem with glare. There is no reasonable place to hang glare shields.

My question is, would you be willing to wear one of these to resolve the issue? I am sincerely considering it.

Sun glare shield hat

61sgy2VScXL._SL1006_.jpg

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
After I got into a life changing car accident, I had to get rid of some of my nicer chairs. Including some high end Steelcase specially built for lumbar support and comfort. I'm 6'4", 210lb built like a linebacker, which also made searching hard, and reviews worthless to me because I now had circumstances and measurements that put me in a consumer minority.

Buddy had one of those Serta Big and Tall chair from Walmart. When I saw it was $140 and I could actually sit in it for more than 10 minutes, I bought one and a set of better casters from amazon. After I recover from my next surgery, I'll look for something less bulky, but I simply can not complain, this has beat a lot of expensive chairs. I think the random low reviews come from people who over tighten the bolts or are real 400lb people who were mad this thing rated for 350 broke so quickly on them. I have had mesh and padded back chairs, I like both. I just hate that most sub$300 mesh backs break so much easier. I obviously have not tried 2000 different kinds of chairs to act as some kind of expert, but I have suggested this chair to a bunch of people, all of which are very happy with it.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Build your own office chair like a fucking man.

Saw a bird today.

Time for deck PBR
Real men don't work in office chairs.

Be a man.

Have a plan

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Real men stand.

Get a standing desk.

Drinks at new standing desk when ya get it?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I am not standing at my desk I use a saddlechair.

Granada

Liked Posts:
no matter how ergonomic the chair, I never seem to get it to do what I want it to do.

I wish you good fortune.

Not to go off topic but will throw this out there before OmeletDodger turns this into a cubicle thread, but our new office is all glass and we have a serious problem with glare. There is no reasonable place to hang glare shields.

My question is, would you be willing to wear one of these to resolve the issue? I am sincerely considering it.

Sun glare shield hat

61sgy2VScXL._SL1006_.jpg

This is hilarious, but being serious for a second, that's bull shit your office doesn't do anything about glare, honestly. How in the hell are you supposed to work like that? I've never gone to HR in my life, but if I were in your shoes, I would. I know of a woman who got skin cancer because she worked in a lobby that had a glass roof which shined on her face everyday for years, to the point where she had to wear sunglasses while at work. Anyways, your office should provide some sort of curtains or something.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The expensive ones are worth it. Wife is an interior designer and she brought home a very expensive one that she got free because it had a small tear on the side of it not even a quarter of an inch long. Great chair. Sitting in it as I type this.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The expensive ones are worth it.

No doubt.

On a related note, you should talk @Rush into buying new swanky office chairs for all the Staff Members for spending 23.5 hours a day online here trying to figure out why pages are not refreshing or teaching people the proper use of the word "racism " while he is locked up safe at CCS Manor swimming in his Google Bux like Scrooge McDuck.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
No doubt.

On a related note, you should talk @Rush into buying new swanky office chairs for all the Staff Members for spending 23.5 hours a day online here trying to figure out why pages are not refreshing or teaching people the proper use of the word "racism " while he is locked up safe at CCS Manor swimming in his Google Bux like Scrooge McDuck.
I think we as a society have decided Rush is making too much. He should start paying more taxes instead of bettering his families life and future familes families familiar families.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we as a society have decided Rush is making too much. He should start paying more taxes instead of bettering his families life and future familes families familiar families.

I support capitalism and all...so I don't know about that, but I too could use a new chair for my home "office" and would love it if the tab was picked up by some Internet Message Board Mogul.