OFFICIAL: 2012 Free Agency Thread

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign Fielder/Pujols

Trade for Jose Bautista

There's more I would do but this is the major part.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
CO, what exactly is wrong with Reed Johnson? He's played great for us. Sure he is injured, but we are paying him MLB minimum anyway and have outfield depth to replace him.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's my post after reading all others...

*No to Reed Johnson...he can't stay healthy and always goes on the DL.
*The Cubs need a 1B and I would go with Fielder.
*Vitters will not be ready by next year and who knows, may not be ready ever. (Bautista is a good option but his price was high this offseason and may go up this offseason). Chris Davis? Most likely not the answer by a good amount. I don't know what players could be avaiable ay 3B
*Jose Reyes is an OK defender but maybe he can move to 3B. But I don't see Cubs signing him at all. Will be a complete shocker.
*The Cubs do not need a 2B (as of now)
*It's always good to have pitching and I think Cash will finish career as RP. Have a hunch. Maybe a signing like Edwin Jackson... If he's cheap and for a 5th starter, it might be a good signing. Or JH can go the trade route, But no Garza trade!
*Maybe a RP would be nice and there are some out on the FA market.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why do we need pitching? Our starters are like 20-15(W-L sucks, but meh). When they get hurt, we suck. But what's wrong with our starters? I see a terrible option at 2B in Darwin Barney. Only Cabrera walks less out of 2B in the league. I really don't see what's so great there.

As for 3B, I'd really like to see us go out and trade for Ryan Roberts. He walks a ton, which is what we need. Badly.

He's a terrible option b/c he doesn't walk? Robinson Cano has one more walk on the season, so he's probably going to be cut by the all-star break.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

*Vitters will not be ready by next year and who knows, may not be ready ever. (Bautista is a good option but his price was high this offseason and may go up this offseason). Chris Davis? Most likely not the answer by a good amount. I don't know what players could be avaiable ay 3B
*Jose Reyes is an OK defender but maybe he can move to 3B. But I don't see Cubs signing him at all. Will be a complete shocker.
*It's always good to have pitching and I think Cash will finish career as RP. Have a hunch. Maybe a signing like Edwin Jackson... If he's cheap and for a 5th starter, it might be a good signing. Or JH can go the trade route, But no Garza trade!

Sign sport-starters, but no actual rotation guys. Our rotation is good when actually healthy. Cashner is a starter, and a starter he shall continue to be IMO.

Honestly, I'd just bring Ramirez back for one more year. Then we have more time to see if Vitters is for real or if we need to trade for a long-term answer.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Sign sport-starters, but no actual rotation guys. Our rotation is good when actually healthy. Cashner is a starter, and a starter he shall continue to be IMO.

You must not remember the Wood and Prior injuries.

Honestly, I'd just bring Ramirez back for one more year. Then we have more time to see if Vitters is for real or if we need to trade for a long-term answer.

So if the Cubs pay Ramirez $16M for 1-21 with RISP and a likely DL stint somewhere in there, how does that improve the Cubs future? May as well play Vitters if you have the chance of signing a FA 1B.

Because the Cubs probably wouldn't sign Fielder if they pay Ramirez $16M in 2012. Fielder is a sure bet for 160 games with that money.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

So if the Cubs pay Ramirez $16M for 1-21 with RISP and a likely DL stint somewhere in there, how does that improve the Cubs future? May as well play Vitters if you have the chance of signing a FA 1B.

Because the Cubs probably wouldn't sign Fielder if they pay Ramirez $16M in 2012. Fielder is a sure bet for 160 games with that money.

I'm not ready to sign a starter to replace Cashner just because he got injured in his first season... he still gets to start until he proves he isn't capable of staying healthy.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign Fielder/Pujols

Trade for Jose Bautista

I wouldn't have a huge problem with getting Bautista, but the last couple of years on that contract are going to suck & I'm not really sure it is worth what the Blue Jays will want in return.

CO, what exactly is wrong with Reed Johnson? He's played great for us. Sure he is injured, but we are paying him MLB minimum anyway and have outfield depth to replace him.

Problems with Reed Johnson: He'll be 35. He can't walk. He won't put up these kind of numbers ever again. We have plenty of OF depth.

It's not really about his health. It's more that he's old and extremely over performing.

The Cubs certainly do need a 2B. Darwin Barney is not going to cut it.

Maybe a RP would be a stupid signing, considering most RP signings are.

He's a terrible option b/c he doesn't walk? Robinson Cano has one more walk on the season, so he's probably going to be cut by the all-star break.

He's a terrible option because he doesn't walk and does not hit for a high enough average. If you are going to use this season's BA, think again. He is not going to have this high of a batting average in his career.

Who says we have to bring Rami back at 16M?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not saying sign a RP to a John Grabow type deal because look at that deal. A well reason deal. We may need a 2B but it's 3rd or 4th. So Barney will cut it for now.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign Fielder/Pujols

Trade for Jose Bautista

I don't see anyway we could get Bautista.

Though he would be amazing. Only if CPatt came back in the deal would it be even better.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see anyway we could get Bautista.

Though he would be amazing. Only if CPatt came back in the deal would it be even better.

It would have to be overpaying.. but honestly for how much that guy rakes.. Im basically willing to give it a shot.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know this is foreign to the Cubs...but I'd love a guy w/ a good OBP who steals bases like crazy. Then maybe in the two hole another guy that doesn't strike out much and can lay down a bunt. And maybe for the #3 hitter, a guy w/ some pop who can get a guy from 2nd to 3rd even on an out. and for the clean-up hitter the best overall hitter on our team.

Source: Success from this formula from every other team in the National League.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who fits that bill X?

The leadoff part that is.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do we need pitching? Our starters are like 20-15(W-L sucks, but meh). When they get hurt, we suck. But what's wrong with our starters? I see a terrible option at 2B in Darwin Barney. Only Cabrera walks less out of 2B in the league. I really don't see what's so great there.

As for 3B, I'd really like to see us go out and trade for Ryan Roberts. He walks a ton, which is what we need. Badly.

Do you want to win a WS? If you think Wells,Zambrano and Garza are going to be this insane top 3 you are delusional.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Who fits that bill X?

The leadoff part that is.

Michael Bourn may be available...He's on a one year contract i think. batting around 270 w/ an OBP around .345. Constantly a base-stealing threat. OBP is a little low for my liking for a leadoff man, but he may be the best available.

Shoot, if Campana could bat .270 w/ an OBP floating around .350, I'd be all for him as starting CF next season...that's asking a lot though.

Last edited:

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Michael Bourn may be available...He's on a one year contract i think. batting around 270 w/ an OBP around .345. Constantly a base-stealing threat. OBP is a little low for my liking for a leadoff man, but he may be the best available.

Shoot, if Campana could bat .270 w/ an OBP floating around .350, I'd be all for him as starting CF next season...that's asking a lot though.

He's still arbitration eligible next year.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If bourn is available he'd be a great fit..we don't really have a guy who can steal bases with soriano deteriorating into a simple inconsistent power hitter....not sure about him leading tho...i'd still like byrd,castro,etc.

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If bourn is available he'd be a great fit..we don't really have a guy who can steal bases with soriano deteriorating into a simple inconsistent power hitter....not sure about him leading tho...i'd still like byrd,castro,etc.

The fact that Castro isn't leading off now is just dumb. He's the best hitter on the team, nobody is batting anybody in anyway...he might as well get as many PAs as possible. I'd be fine w/ Castro leading off, but I'd want him to lose just a bit of that muscle and return to that '09 form (he stole almost 30 bases that year in the minors). I know that stuff happens faster in the pro's, but we need more speed and OBP at the top of the line-up.