Official 2015 Chicago Cubs predictions thread

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Eh, I made a bold prediction that Castro would compete for a batting title. First month looked solid. lol

His OBP couldn't even compete for the batting title :(

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hey guys, remember when that nimrod Dews spouted off this masterpiece? Wonder how tight he's holding his Paul Konerko shersey to his chest at night? Must help him fall asleep easier knowing that Jose Abreu couldn't hold Anthony Rizzo's jockstrap without causing a hernia.

you probably dont need either I mean Arrieta is clearly a top of the rotation guy. you can build around soon to be cy young arrieta. :rolleyes:

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey guys, remember when that nimrod Dews spouted off this masterpiece? Wonder how tight he's holding his Paul Konerko shersey to his chest at night? Must help him fall asleep easier knowing that Jose Abreu couldn't hold Anthony Rizzo's jockstrap without causing a hernia.

Lol Good to see you Jos, I thought you got lost in a vagina.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lol Good to see you Jos, I thought you got lost in a vagina.

Nah -- work, buddy. Lots of it. Got a project car I've been working on, was on vacation this past week. Still watching plenty of Cubs, just hard to squeeze in time to come on here. The forums are blocked at work (fucking firewall can munch my dick) and I absolutely detest browsing the forums on Tapatalk.

Either way, what a fuckin' year so far, huh? As optimistic as most of us were in March and April, I don't think any of us would've imagined things turning out the way they have. Hands-down the most fun I've had watching a Cubs team in my 29 years on this planet.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You picked their season total for wins to be the win total they have on August 22nd, and say you are accurate becaus eyou went out on a limb and called Bryant a legit major leaguer?? And Soler? Who on this planet thought they weren't?

You predicted their lack of pitching depth would hold them to 70 wins, and you are considering yourself RIGHT on that? What do you consider depth issues? That their 5th starter isn't as good as their 1st? That's true on every team.

You are way, way wrong on your assessment of their pitching, no matter how you slice it. Hendricks didn't get exposed. He is a legit starter. Hammel was outstanding until he hurt his hammy. That's pretty good depth.

You say the pen will be "behind the Sox" and Rizzo is "right there with Goldy". Kind of vague. Rizzo has been outstanding, but even as well as he has played, Goldy is clearly out in front.

You were the first on Arrieta? Really?

Most here predicted win totals. And everyone else's prediction will be more accurate (unless I missed someone who picked in the 60's, but I don't think so.)

Some of us predicted playoff contention and were laughed at and ridiculed. But here we are. I had 86 wins in mind, but got too conservative and said 84. I must have allowed the naysayers to get to me. The numerous posters who said no way they could improve by 13-15 games. As it stands now, the number is likely to be 20.

Chug the kook aid gulper...bottom line I was the most accurate

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs are 6th best in ERA in the entire league. The White Sox are 19th.

They are 7th in starter ERA. The White Sox are 16th

They are 12th in bullpen ERA. The White Sox are 14th.

The Cubs pitching has been a strength more then the offense this year. Now, the offense has gotten going and this team has gotten scary.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Cubs are 6th best in ERA in the entire league. The White Sox are 19th.

They are 7th in starter ERA. The White Sox are 16th

They are 12th in bullpen ERA. The White Sox are 14th.

The Cubs pitching has been a strength more then the offense this year. Now, the offense has gotten going and this team has gotten scary.

Great comparisons. Save your "facts" for the Cubs Sox hate it thread.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Chug the kook aid gulper...bottom line I was the most accurate

With all due respect how were you the most accurate? Your win totals were low when you picked them, I saw no one else here or elsewhere pick them to regress from last year, and considering that their pitching carried them most of the first half belies your pitching prediction. You were also wrong on the draft but that's of little consequence. You were right on Arrieta when most wanted to see a whole season before calling him an ace. You were right on Bryant but he was as close to a can't miss prospect as we've seen since Mike Trout (no, I'm not saying he's in that class so simma down as my Boston friends would say) so I didn't find that one particularly prescient and I'm also not sure anyone thought that Soler wouldn't be a solid MLB player either. Back to the pitching for a second, againyou were very right on the depth of pitching but as I said above they overcame it, especially in the first half, to make themselves legit contenders. Your 70 wins showed that you misread what this team was going to be, at 86 wins I think I misread them badly as well which discredits some of my list. If they go 20-20 the rest of the way they'll win 91 games, if they continue on their season clip they would have 94 wins and if they continue on their .650 clip in the second half unlikely of course, they would finish with 97 wins. I don't see this team collapsing and going less than .500 and I don't think they're going to match or improve on their .650 2nd half winning percentage so far so that would make your 70 win prediction somewhere between 21 and 27 games off. Honestly, and again I'm want to be respectful here, that makes the ones that you got right kind of window dressing. You saw a team that was backsliding when almost everyone else saw that they would be markedly improved anywhere from 10-15 games better than last year and even those of us making those predictions were wrong. I wouldn't be arguing "Yes, but the play was outstanding Mrs. Lincoln" if I were you. Just sayin'. ;)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
TC in Mississippi;2235869[B said:
]With all due respect how were the most accurate? [/B]Your win totals were low when you picked them, I saw no one else here elsewhere pick them to regress from last year, and considering that their pitching carried them most of the first half belies your pitching prediction. You were also wrong on the draft but that's of little consequence. You were right on Arrieta when most wanted to see a whole season before calling him an ace. You were right on Bryant but he was as close to a can't miss prospect as we've seen since Mike Trout (no, I'm not saying he's in that class so simma down as my Boston friends would say) so I didn't find that one particularly prescient and I'm also not sure anyone thought that Soler wouldn't be a solid MLB player either. Back to the pitching for a second, againyou were very right on the depth of pitching but as I said above they overcame it, especially in the first half, to make themselves legit contenders. Your 70 wins showed that you misread what this team was going to be, at 86 wins I think I misread them badly as well which discredits some of my list. If they go 20-20 the rest of the way they'll win 91 games, if they continue on their season clip they would have 94 wins and if they continue on their .650 clip in the second half unlikely of course, they would finish with 97 wins. I don't see this team collapsing and going less than .500 and I don't think they're going to match or improve on their .650 2nd half winning percentage so far so that would make your 70 win prediction somewhere between 21 and 27 games off. Honestly, and again I'm want to be respectful here, that makes the ones that you got right kind of window dressing. You saw a team that was backsliding when almost everyone else saw that they would be markedly improved anywhere from 10-15 games better than last year and even those of us making those predictions were wrong. I wouldn't be arguing "Yes, but the play was outstanding Mrs. Lincoln" if I were you. Just sayin'. ;)

I made 8 predictions and I have a shot at only having two of them wrong. That's most accurate by any means.

I was wrong on the wins, but explained how 70 wins wouldn't be a bad season as they would get the knowledge the desperately needed about the youth.

Trout was never seen as a can't miss prospect and there were doubts about Bryant playing the field. There was no line saying that Soler would be the guy this year, just a feeling he'd get there.

No one complained about the picks when I made them, so you can't go retro active on that saying we all said that, they weren't more specific, etc, etc.

You are the only one trying to be fair to me with this. And I appreciate that. Many cannot check their bias at the door.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
**The Cubs will finish with 85 wins, putting them second in the NL Central behind..... the Cardinals (wheeze) - lowball wins, highball place
**The Cubs will win the second wild card spot and play the defending World Series champion Giants in the Wild Card play-in game - 1 right, 1 not
**Jake Arrieta will lead the team in wins and ERA - yep
**Anthony Rizzo, Jorge Soler and Kris Bryant will all finish with over 25 home runs - Jorge ruined it
**The Cubs will acquire another frontline starting pitcher at some point during the season - Dan Haren :smug2:

:shifty:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Cubs have exceeded my win total, but I had them getting 2nd place behind the Cards. They still have a shot at that. Who could have predicted the NL Central would have the three best records in baseball right now? That is really incredible.