*** OFFICIAL ***2018 College Football Playoff/New Year's 6 Thread

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The constant comparisons to 2014 aren't really applicable because the Big12 will definitively be declaring a Conf Champ and Ohio St isn't facing the quality of opponent in NW that Oklahoma is. Wisconsin was 10-2 and ranked #13 in the country that season before OSU killed them. I don't read much into UGA at #4 beyond the committee basically telling UGA, win and you're in and it keeps Bama safe and they will be in.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
No it's not. It's at best it's 4th best win. OU has wins over WVU, Iowa St. Army. All those teams are ranked in one poll or another. And if we are disparaging a 6-6 win vs TCU, I again direct your attention to Ohio St getting boat raced by 6-6 Purdue.

Whoa...OU was fortunate to win that one, too. That is an incredibly weak resume'.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I don't read much into UGA at #4 beyond the committee basically telling UGA, win and you're in and it keeps Bama safe and they will be in.

If UGA was ranked #6 and they beat Alabama, they'd be in regardless. The issue is that the committee didn't put OU at #4, thus not giving them a "win and in over OSU" scenario. Right now, OU is in the same boat as OSU...not in the playoff.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Stronger than OSU's.

:shrug:

I think wins over Penn State and Michigan carry more cache' than Iowa State & Army. Beating WVU (3-3 in last 6 games) was nice, but if that is your 'signature win', then your resume is lacking, IMO. Perhaps a win over a recognizable program like Texas will change all that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What if UGA loses on a last second FG to Bama? Does UGA stay in the top 4?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Not if either OU or OSU wins. I think the committee would do everything possible to not allow two teams from the same conference. I think the nightmare scenario is for UGA to lose a close game to Bama, OU and OSU both lose, UGA almost by default makes the playoff then beats Alabama in the 'rematch'. Yawn.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think wins over Penn State and Michigan carry more cache' than Iowa State & Army. Beating WVU (3-3 in last 6 games) was nice, but if that is your 'signature win', then your resume is lacking, IMO. Perhaps a win over a recognizable program like Texas will change all that.

I would think that would be the case and we keep talking around a 30 point loss to Purdue. As uninspiring as you want to make the wins v WVU, Iowa St, Army, and eventually Texas I would say even that "weak" resume embarrasses a resume with wins over Mich, PSU, and N'Western with a 30 point loss to Purdue.

Really don't see the debate here if OU beats Texas. Each would have three top 25 wins at that point. Each would have 1 loss. One was to Top 20 team by 3. The other to a 6-6 team by 30. What is there to discuss?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of dumb to focus on 'embarrassing loss', IMO. Ohio State has better wins. I love how the article cites OSU's close call with Maryland, but fails to mention that Maryland beat Texas...the team that beat Oklahoma.

I won't mind if Oklahoma gets in over OSU, but I think OSU is 'better'. OSU can play defense when it tries to...Oklahoma simply cannot play defense, IMO.

Not really, seeing as an embarrassing loss(to Iowa by 39) is exactly what the committee cited last year in keeping OSU out.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

No chance. Win or bust for UGA. Even if they lost the way Bama lost to Auburn several years ago with the end of game FG return. UGA would still be out.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
well, at least we'll have the answer to this dilemma very soon--but we could still debate if the committee made the right choice

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Should probably lay a lot of money on Ohio State. That's going to be a beat down.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't know man. Some cappers I follow are taking NW +14.

I think we're going to see a 63-10 blowout. I think OU wins late in a high scoring CFL/Big 12 bullshit game.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;-q7Hyj_79ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q7Hyj_79ro[/video]

EDIT: I just listened to this all the way thru..the end of this podcast is funny. 3 SEC teams in an 8 team playoff...

Alabama's SOS is 55th, ND is 44th according to Sagarin. I listened to these guys a lot this year and they nailed most of their games--got the correct score of the ND/NW game. They kept their SEC bias out of the podcasts until this one.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
That's surprising. I don't see this being close at all.

I think the problem is that the OU-Texas game and the UGA-Bama games will be decided well before OSU takes the field. If OU destroys Texas, and/or if UGA beats Bama, then Ohio State's playoff chances are done. I could see Ohio State 'not trying' in that situation, as they have done during the regular season, and simply give the game to Northwestern.