*** OFFICIAL *** Bears @ Miami FoodBlogThread: L'Chaim Edition

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Sounds Smashtastic, Brem. The only potential hiccup I can see within the ingredients is the Kraut. There is no substitute for homemade Kraut.

P.M your address and I'll send you a few jars of the real deal. My folks been making it for years in giant World War I ceramic crocks for the fermentation process. While it stinks up the house something fierce. The Hardy chunks of crunchy goodness are well worth it.

Hmmmm I have all these crocks hanging around my house, I never thought to use one to ferment stuff in. Interesting :thinking:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I am going with a Miami Dolphin Larry Tunsil buffet:

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Two words
Pot roast.

Also I'm practicing the brownies I'm making for a Halloween party. They gonna be de-light-ful. Three different flavored buttercream toppings that will be colored purple, orange, and green, the witchiest colors.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cup of soup with an egg on top.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Good morning CCS, getting this thread kicked off early this week as I'm prepping TODAY for the big Miami game, and don't want someone else starting a poverty food thread and being embarrassed by the lack of clicks, traffic and replies therein.

Miami. Lots of cuban cuisine to think about of course, would be the obvious choice innit but as I was doing menu planning for the rest of the season with my CCS discord bros the other day, I've already nailedit with the Cuban inspired football food by making Cubano sammies for the Tampa Bay game.

What else do you have in Miami then? Jewish Delis. A lot of them. My first liver and onions was when I was at Winter Music Conf in South Beach when this Russian chicc said it would cure my hangover from the clubs. It did - I threw up and everything was better.

Liver and onions is NOT on the menu this week as I'm afraid my guests might not find it as delicious as I do. In fact @Grimson said "jewish food? ewwww"

Well he's wrong, on this rare occasion. I'm making Pastrami.

Didn't have time to brine my own corned beef this week so I've got a store bought 6lb brisket and have it rubbed with:

3 tbl coarse ground black pepper
3 tbl fresh ground coriander
2 tbl garlic powder
2 tbl gound allspice
1 tbl ground mustard seed
1 tbl onion powder
dusting of brown sugar and paprika

Smoking that on Sunday with chunks of oak and hickory

With that I will then steam it, slice it and pile high onto pumpernickel bagels from a German bakery out here, add kraut, swiss and Russian dressing to make:

PASTRAMIBAGELREUBENS

Side of home-made "Latke fingers" with a sour cream and dill dipping sauce.

I'm really looking forward to this meal and hearing about what others will be making for gameday.

Thank you so much.

That sounds great, although I've heard some negative things about Pastrami lately, just rumblings, water cooler talk and such, nothing substantial, but still enough to raise an eyebrow.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, make the beef stew a few days early so I'm going classic Biscuits N Gravy. Perfect since we're supposed to wake up to some snow here in Denver tomorrow. Get to watch the Bears kill the Phins then watch the Donkeys get embarrassed by the Rams. Can't wait.

Now, everyone has a sausage gravy reciepe. And yes, mine is better than yours b/c I use fresh sage. However, I believe my layering of said BNG it what makes mine medal-worthy.

Small ladle of sausage gravy.
Biscuit split in half.
Another small ladle of SG.
Thick slice of tomato on each split biscuit.
Over easy fried egg on each tomato/biscuit.
Shredded cheddar cheese.
Unhealthy dousing of Cholula all over.

Something about the thick creaminess of the SG, combined with the striking acidity of the tomato, with the buttery egg yolk and rich sharp cheddar cheese, and the copious amounts of the perfect hot sauce makes me want to slap your grandmother.

GO BEARS!

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Okay, make the beef stew a few days early so I'm going classic Biscuits N Gravy. Perfect since we're supposed to wake up to some snow here in Denver tomorrow. Get to watch the Bears kill the Phins then watch the Donkeys get embarrassed by the Rams. Can't wait.

Now, everyone has a sausage gravy reciepe. And yes, mine is better than yours b/c I use fresh sage. However, I believe my layering of said BNG it what makes mine medal-worthy.

Small ladle of sausage gravy.
Biscuit split in half.
Thick slice of tomato on each split biscuit.
Over easy fried egg on each tomato/biscuit.
Shredded cheddar cheese.
Unhealthy dousing of Cholula all over.

Something about the thick creaminess of the SG, combined with the striking acidity of the tomato, with the buttery egg yolk and rich sharp cheddar cheese, and the copious amounts of the perfect hot sauce makes me want to slap your grandmother.

GO BEARS!

Sounds yum.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lmao you are still so ****ing mad.

Yep, I am so ****ing mad that my GF's husband is out of town and she'll be cooking some authentic Mexican food. Enchiladas and tamales with a fresh batch of horchata (mixed with Baileys).

Enjoy your tasteless, nasty kosher meal.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yep, I am so ****ing mad that my GF's husband is out of town and she'll be cooking some authentic Mexican food. Enchiladas and tamales with a fresh batch of horchata (mixed with Baileys).

Enjoy your tasteless, nasty kosher meal.
Glad to hear you two are back "together."

Smdh

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe it is because I spent my lunch hour in the Frozen Pizza thread, but I am thinking it is time for a pizza party.

I will do up three pies. A veggie heavy one, meat heavy one and a classic cheese.

Thinking spinach and tomato right now...may look for some choice Kosher meats to borrow from the OP's "Miami Jew" theme for the carnivores.

Maybe I will bump with pics of my dough process to help Bear Nation get away from Big Pizza.
Guest list for Game Day in the House of Vu not going to be quite as large...so it is down to two pizzas rather than three. This dough ball should get me two 14-15" pies. Made it 24 hours ago and have been kneading it down every few hours. It feels a lot lighter than it did coming out of the mixer and has a nice fermented yeast funk to it. Gonna try to get back with a pic of the dough rolled out before kickoff.

864c94f660b3ced0b1071857b6f9c53e.jpg

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Guest list for Game Day in the House of Vu not going to be quite as large...so it is down to two pizzas rather than three. This dough ball should get me two 14-15" pies. Made it 24 hours ago and have been kneading it down every few hours. It feels a lot lighter than it did coming out of the mixer and has a nice fermented yeast funk to it. Gonna try to get back with a pic of the dough rolled out before kickoff.

You got your culinary flamethrower ready to cook that bad boy?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Is the dough recipe anything special, I made some from scratch once...:nope:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is the dough recipe anything special, I made some from scratch once...:nope:
Not really. I use Bread Flour instead of AP Flour because the extra gluten helps to roll out a thin crust. The exact recipe for this dough ball is:

5 cups of Bread Flour
One packet of quick rise yeast (or 2 tbsp)
2 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
2 cups of warm (not hot) water

I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a dough hook. Makes this way easy, but a food processor will work too. Once everything is combined in the mixer to form a rough ball with nothing sticking to the side....turn up the speed one notch and let it go for 12 minutes. That will save you a ton of hand kneading.

After cutting that ball in half...I rolled out one crust quite nicely if I do say so myself. This is just done will a rolling pin....
14e0e31cd1df3a0aea7b9f105ec95a8d.jpg

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really. I use Bread Flour instead of AP Flour because the extra gluten helps to roll out a thin crust. The exact recipe for this dough ball is:

5 cups of Bread Flour
One packet of quick rise yeast (or 2 tbsp)
2 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
2 cups of warm (not hot) water

I use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with a dough hook. Makes this way easy, but a food processor will work too. Once everything is combined in the mixer to form a rough ball with nothing sticking to the side....turn up the speed one notch and let it go for 12 minutes. That will save you a ton of hand kneading.

After cutting that ball in half...I rolled out one crust quite nicely if I do say so myself. This is just done will a rolling pin....
14e0e31cd1df3a0aea7b9f105ec95a8d.jpg

What's with the yogurt in the OG pic?

Also u didn't answer me about ur culinary flamethrower.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Got white chicken chili going in the crock pot today.