***OFFICIAL ***Justin Fields critique thread. (FTO)

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I'm not going to hold a lot of the blame on the ESB comeback route on Fields. We've been asking him to throw with anticipation prior to the WR breaking on the route and ESB's break was poor and had two additional moves which gave JA time to jump it but the ball was already gone because Fields trying to throw it in anticipation. If anything, ESB's poor route is going to make Fields more gun shy to throw with anticipation again here. In the 4th quarter, it feels like this is when having a sure handed, true #1 WR is such a disadvantage as there is no one to go to when you need to move the sticks or get that strike when trying to preserve a W or make a comeback.

I will say that the final pick was not a great placement or decision but when I looked at the all 22 there, there wasn't anything else remotely open. His option was to pull it down and run it which just burned more clock when needing two scores or throw it away. Given that at that point they needed a TD and a successful onside recovery plus a FG, I saw the time on the clock and actually wondered if Getsy/Flus told them to go for the big strike because with 2 timeouts left and about 50 seconds left, if they could still score a TD with about 50 seconds left, even if they didn't get the onside kick they could stop the clock twice and have a little under 10 seconds to try and get in FG range if the D made a stop. Given the low percentage of onside kick wins, the decision to take a higher risk throw then was supported by the coaching staff. All that said, it was put right on the sideline but there was tons of coverage there so it was doomed from the start.

My biggest critique on Fields recently has been he is still looking for big strike plays a lot and the Harry and ESB long bombs were great payoffs for it. He also needs to balance some with taking the outlets and underneath stuff that the D gives up periodically. I'm not sure how to correctly balance it out as you don't want him to become purely a check down passer but a good portion of it comes from knowing the situation and knowing when moving the ball and sustaining a drive is better than continuing to hope for a WR to break free deep.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
That pass,in my opinion, should have been, at worst, been incomplete. I will also say that Mooney, Claypool, and Harry probably come up with that ball 50%-70% of the time.

LOL. You don't understand the dynamics of that route. Were there better choices? Maybe but that should have never been a pick. That's a gimme with a proper route unless the DB makes a vg play in which case, it's just incomplete. They ran it because we've had a few deep balls and probably expected the DB on his heels. ESB just couldn't sell it and completely gave away the route while unable to finish it. Dude is a long strider with zero quicks but in that case you don't run so fast that you can't pull off the route. You cruise to the DB, take a quick step to turn him and then come back. Guy's got not feel for routes but it's up to him to be in that spot in front of the DB and that timing comes from practice reps. He was probably amped up and just ran through the break.

All that said, you have to consider that the coaches should know this and/or find a way to help him pull it off but the last guy to blame here is Fields.

it was a bad decision to throw it in that situation when the DB is looking at you. here was his other 3 options on that play at the time of his release..

fieldsINT1packers.png

You cant argue this was a good decision on first down when you're in 4 down territory to win the game and you have 3 WIDE open options that will net you a free 5-8 yards or maybe more if a they break a tackle. Instead he threw to the WR who is covered.. is slow.. and the DB is watching you.. thats a bad decision.. you want to get mad at St Brown for being slow? go ahead. but that doesnt change the fact that it was not smart by Fields

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not going to hold a lot of the blame on the ESB comeback route on Fields. We've been asking him to throw with anticipation prior to the WR breaking on the route and ESB's break was poor and had two additional moves which gave JA time to jump it but the ball was already gone because Fields trying to throw it in anticipation. If anything, ESB's poor route is going to make Fields more gun shy to throw with anticipation again here. In the 4th quarter, it feels like this is when having a sure handed, true #1 WR is such a disadvantage as there is no one to go to when you need to move the sticks or get that strike when trying to preserve a W or make a comeback.

I will say that the final pick was not a great placement or decision but when I looked at the all 22 there, there wasn't anything else remotely open. His option was to pull it down and run it which just burned more clock when needing two scores or throw it away. Given that at that point they needed a TD and a successful onside recovery plus a FG, I saw the time on the clock and actually wondered if Getsy/Flus told them to go for the big strike because with 2 timeouts left and about 50 seconds left, if they could still score a TD with about 50 seconds left, even if they didn't get the onside kick they could stop the clock twice and have a little under 10 seconds to try and get in FG range if the D made a stop. Given the low percentage of onside kick wins, the decision to take a higher risk throw then was supported by the coaching staff. All that said, it was put right on the sideline but there was tons of coverage there so it was doomed from the start.

My biggest critique on Fields recently has been he is still looking for big strike plays a lot and the Harry and ESB long bombs were great payoffs for it. He also needs to balance some with taking the outlets and underneath stuff that the D gives up periodically. I'm not sure how to correctly balance it out as you don't want him to become purely a check down passer but a good portion of it comes from knowing the situation and knowing when moving the ball and sustaining a drive is better than continuing to hope for a WR to break free deep.
Yeah. I think in the situation that they were in on the last interception the only chance was to try a miracle pass in the end zone and like you said even if they completed it, the game was pretty much over anyway. I would have preferred a long sidelines pass on the first interception with Kmet or Claypool instead of Brown in the middle of the field. That call itself was a problem.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
it was a bad decision to throw it in that situation when the DB is looking at you. here was his other 3 options on that play at the time of his release..

View attachment 24597

You cant argue this was a good decision on first down when you're in 4 down territory to win the game and you have 3 WIDE open options that will net you a free 5-8 yards or maybe more if a they break a tackle. Instead he threw to the WR who is covered.. is slow.. and the DB is watching you.. thats a bad decision.. you want to get mad at St Brown for being slow? go ahead. but that doesnt change the fact that it was not smart by Fields
You just don't understand the route and how it's a gimme. He had no reason to not throw that other than who ran the route. 'Wide open' 1 yd downfield are there as outlets if ESB gets doubled, congestion etc. There was no reason to come off that read in the 1st place, other than ESB sucks. You'd be the 1st guy to say he doesn't take his 1st read when he should.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Yeah. I think in the situation that they were in on the last interception the only chance was to try a miracle pass in the end zone and like you said even if they completed it, the game was pretty much over anyway. I would have preferred a long sidelines pass on the first interception with Kmet or Claypool instead of Brown in the middle of the field. That call itself was a problem.
Don't disagree, a sideline pass would've been ideal at that time. I do think Getsy, Fields and ESB were hopeful that after Alexander had been burned twice already on double moves deep, that he was going to stop playing the comeback routes as tight as the Packers really just needed to avoid giving up the deep ball, but JA is a self-confident corner and was willing to risk another double move. To be fair, he had given more cushion to ESB following being burned deep but the poor execution at the top of that route allowed him to close quicker. I am not a big JA fan so it would've been awesome to see him get burned a third time on a double move because he was still sitting on routes looking for picks but alas, we don't have that caliber of WR to do that routinely.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

View attachment 24597

lmaooo of course those guys are open. A ONE YARD pass isn't going to get you down the field when you are down 2 scores. You can't be serious?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Y’all stop arguing with @dlbdrew. He wants fields to fail because Trubisky was trash and still is trash. He will find any and every reason to bash him even if he has to make it up

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:

View attachment 24597

I'd say it was 50-50. If EQ fights to the ball, the play could have been made or at the very least an incompletion. At the same time, Fields could have thrown it a bit more a little bit further to the inside for it to have been a perfect pass. Fields said so himself and he expects to improve.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
lmaooo of course those guys are open. A ONE YARD pass isn't going to get you down the field when you are down 2 scores. You can't be serious?
for fuck sakes we where down 1 point! you get 5ish yards and you are in field goal range.. any one of those throws gets us in a position to win the game

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The more I watch it, the more I don't think the ball should have been thrown. ESB messed up - no doubt - looks like he broke late and was lazy in running back to the ball...but at no point was he really open. And like you commented, the defender was facing the QB and ready to pounce the whole time. Shouldn't have thrown that one from the get go.
So you don't want him to throw into tight windows or you do ?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You just don't understand the route and how it's a gimme. He had no reason to not throw that other than who ran the route. 'Wide open' 1 yd downfield are there as outlets if ESB gets doubled, congestion etc. There was no reason to come off that read in the 1st place, other than ESB sucks. You'd be the 1st guy to say he doesn't take his 1st read when he should.
BINGO.. just like you dont throw 50/50 balls to a guy like Tarik Cohen you dont throw that ball to St Brown when the DB is watching you and is position to make the play.. That would be a BAD decision.. It makes it worse when you had 3 options that win the game that are real "gimme" throws

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

View attachment 24597

oh god screen shot charlie.. lol

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
BINGO.. just like you dont throw 50/50 balls to a guy like Tarik Cohen you dont throw that ball to St Brown when the DB is watching you and is position to make the play.. That would be a BAD decision.. It makes it worse when you had 3 options that win the game that are real "gimme" throws
Might as well just throw in the towel because you can't win being a pussy. Seems you can't decide what you want to happen other than the opposite of what does. Just a Suxtaposition poster.

msadows

Liked Posts:
OHOH, lemme circle these guys 3 yards away who are wide open, even though the play was clearly meant to have that happen.

Idiots

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Might as well just throw in the towel because you can't win being a pussy. Seems you can't decide what you want to happen other than the opposite of what does. Just a Suxtaposition poster.
I’m trying to figure out why he agreed with you when you clearly disagreed with him

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I’m trying to figure out why he agreed with you when you clearly disagreed with him
I took you off of ignore just to see what stupid things you where saying and here you are looking like an idiot.. You see how I bolded his post "He had no reason to not throw that other than who ran the route" and then replied specifically to that point? The fact that confused you is not surprising. Back on ignore for the dumb..