*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The CCS labeled great GM Chris Ballard doing work.

I mean, I remember the rage of picking Pace over Ballard at the time, but I always thought the myth of the "Great Chris Ballard" was more of a media concoction, because he'll schmooze and wine and dine all the reporters when they come to town in exchange for soft coverage...

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Lots of ways to get comp picks other than the one option you gave. Poles could have signed players that were cut by other teams which don't count against comp picks. That's just one way any bad rebuilding team could get comp picks.
We'd still need other teams to sign our players to big contracts.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I quoted this to argue about Hurts. He might actually be top half though. And I don’t really like him at all. There are guys I would defintely take over him like Lawrence and Fields. But if we’re just going off results he probably belongs. There really are a lot of young question marks and aging vets scattered throughout the league.
Yea my list is basically as of the current moment. You've got the recent QB draftees like Fields, Lawrence, Wilson and Lance with the talent to make a quick jump into the top half, especially at the expense of guys like Ryan, Tannehill, Cousins and so on. It might be likely that Malik Willis is thrown into the mix as well, though likely not to break the top half by the end of this upcoming season.

Nonetheless, look at the starters and it's clear that the AFC has got about twice as much talent at QB than the NFC does. I'd probably take any of the worst starting QBs in the AFC (Trubisky, Mills, Tagovoila, Wilson and Lawrence) over all of Lock, Jones, Darnold and maybe Goff.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
We'd still need other teams to sign our players to big contracts.
Seven Bears' free agents are likely to sign for qualifying contracts. Including probably a 3rd and two 5ths.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Does anyone else think that's a lot of coin to pay Jameis Winston?

Also, if Mariota indeed ends up starting in Atlanta, you'll have the #1 and #2 overall picks battling it out in the NFC South twice a year. And meanwhile, the 7th overall pick from that year is (basically) out of the league.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Also, if Mariota indeed ends up starting in Atlanta, you'll have the #1 and #2 overall picks battling it out in the NFC South twice a year. And meanwhile, the 7th overall pick from that year is (basically) out of the league.
Hurt feelings come at a premium. ;)

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Its a clause the guarantees a players' salary and makes it onerous for the matching franchise to take on the responsibility. League really tried to squash it because its anti-competitive. It happened with Nate Burelson if memory serves, there was some clause that if he played half his games in Minnesota in a given season the whole length of the contract goes guaranteed.

I think in the more modern context its just one franchise taking advantage of a better cap situation or competitive horizon to pin an ugly contract on a division rival. That's what happened with Fuller and Green Bay.
The famous example of this was Vikings putting that in when Steve Hutchinson came over from Seattle. Sure worked out well for Vikings as he was a stud for years.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
With top flight QBs now making 50 million a season, paying 1/3 of that doesn't look so bad.

I think NO sees something in Winston, career low INT% last season.

Its only a 2 year deal but I think they feel that can develop him as a bridge QB.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
There are still QB moves that will/need to be made in the coming days. Both Garoppolo and Mayfield should be traded in the coming days. Seattle is likely in some of those discussions, although it is much more likely for them to get Mayfield (between those two) as that would be out of conference/division. Mayfield may want Indy, but he may not get that choice. They get either of those two and they can compete to make the playoffs especially in the NFC.

Other former starters still technically available would be Winston (although he is now likely to return to New Orleans), Mariota, hell even Dalton or Fitzpatrick (if he is healthy). Any of those guys could give the appearance of competing and be a bridge QB.
Matt Ryan is going to Indy so that's out for Baker.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Sounds about right. I don't think he's a proven LT but is a proven RT with potential to be serviceable on the left side. Seems like about market value for that type of player.
He is playing RT they have a 1st rounder on the left - Jonah Williams in his 2nd year or so from Ala that they like a lot.