***OFFICIAL*** PICK THE BEST PLAYER IN THIS DRAFT

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
For the few of you brave enough to challenge the gods and forever tie your CCS account to a choice you and you alone get to make, for all the bragging rights and all the ridicule, now is the time to show the world you have true grit.

So for those of you with just an ounce of gumption and that always burning competitive spirit, lets put ourselves out there one last time before the alien invasion.

I'll start. Jaxon Smith-Njigba will be the best player in this class. I think he can easily be Cooper Kupp, and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up even better.
Bijan Robinson is the best player in this draft. He’s the most sure thing can’t miss player. If we get him, we will have an offensive piece that can’t be matched.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
it worked for Sauce Gardner

Sauce’s talents would be wasted in this defense. Too much zone coverage, same with Witherspoon.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
For the few of you brave enough to challenge the gods and forever tie your CCS account to a choice you and you alone get to make, for all the bragging rights and all the ridicule, now is the time to show the world you have true grit.

So for those of you with just an ounce of gumption and that always burning competitive spirit, lets put ourselves out there one last time before the alien invasion.

I'll start. Jaxon Smith-Njigba will be the best player in this class. I think he can easily be Cooper Kupp, and it wouldn't shock me if he ended up even better.
I think JSN is going to be star. Probably my top pick. I have concerns about both Carter & Anderson. I think Tyree Wilson may turn out better than Anderson. So JSN it is.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably Anderson or Carter. I think JSN is the best WR. Bijan is the best RB. Those guys are all in the conversation. I don't know if any of the QBs will be worth a damn, but people seem to like Young a lot, Stroud/Levis as well.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Don't remember Lance making many of these throws in college.

I don't recall will levis making them either but I'm guessing it won't stop a team from giving their entire future to the bears. I don't even have the balls to predict the qbs, but man if the Jets want levis what a power house qb room he and z. Wilson would make. He had a bicep tattoo!!!

CMate

Liked Posts:
I don't recall will levis making them either but I'm guessing it won't stop a team from giving their entire future to the bears. I don't even have the balls to predict the qbs, but man if the Jets want levis what a power house qb room he and z. Wilson would make. He had a bicep tattoo!!!
Agreed. If Will Levis is drafted in the top 10 I would say he may end up being the biggest bust of this class due to where he would have been drafted vs his actual talent level in this scenario. I'm a Buckeye fan who has been lurking this board since Fields was first drafted. I think the Bears will eventually get a king's ransom to trade down this year. Which will do wonders in filling a lot of holes on the roster.

Any talk (rumors) of trading JF is just mind boggling to me. At best it's a lateral move as the new QB will still be somewhat limited with the amount of talent around him to have much more success than Fields had.

And the new QB better have some wheels on him as well as a good arm. But at worst you could lose what may be a Franchise QB already on the roster as well as a chance at building a team around him. If you find out Fields isn't the guy in a couple years from now but you take the trade down option this year you will have a much better roster for whomever QB you choose to bring in at that time. But if Fields is indeed a FQB and your GM trades him away AND your new QB ends up being a bust, that GM will be long gone and the franchise would be set back for years.

Anyway, I hope I didn't hijack this thread for to long. Just wanted to respond. Best of luck to you all in the upcoming draft.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Agreed. If Will Levis is drafted in the top 10 I would say he may end up being the biggest bust of this class due to where he would have been drafted vs his actual talent level in this scenario. I'm a Buckeye fan who has been lurking this board since Fields was first drafted. I think the Bears will eventually get a king's ransom to trade down this year. Which will do wonders in filling a lot of holes on the roster.

Any talk (rumors) of trading JF is just mind boggling to me. At best it's a lateral move as the new QB will still be somewhat limited with the amount of talent around him to have much more success than Fields had.

And the new QB better have some wheels on him as well as a good arm. But at worst you could lose what may be a Franchise QB already on the roster as well as a chance at building a team around him. If you find out Fields isn't the guy in a couple years from now but you take the trade down option this year you will have a much better roster for whomever QB you choose to bring in at that time. But if Fields is indeed a FQB and your GM trades him away AND your new QB ends up being a bust, that GM will be long gone and the franchise would be set back for years.

Anyway, I hope I didn't hijack this thread for to long. Just wanted to respond. Best of luck to you all in the upcoming draft.
Not a college football fan but I'm from Ohio and as you can tell, I'm a real bug fan of their players too haha. Thanks for the insight. I also like their center and DE a ton

Grape

Liked Posts:
Ok, all-pro makes your argument even worse. At least a Trubisky can become a pro-bowler if enough people decide not to play.

Let's just consider this year. Who was the best QB?

I would guess that you would say Mahomes. Now that means that players like Hurts and Burrows would probably not be the top QB, and certainly players like Geno Smith wouldn't.

Ok, one step down. All pro.

First team all pro QB would be Hurts in the NFC and Mahomes in the AFC. Chances are high that Mahomes would control the AFC first team all pro QB for years, if not decades to come.

Now let's dream that Fields becomes THE QB in the NFC. He would also control the first team QB spot in the NFC for decades.

Does that make Burrows, Hurts and a bunch of bum QBs? No, they could still be really good and not be as good as Mahomes. They could be the best players of their class, yet not be the best QBs in the NFL. That would be Mahomes.

Get it?

I am not saying that JSN was the third WR because he was playing the slot. I am saying that he was the #3 WR because he was not one of the top 2 receivers. That does not mean that I am saying that he was bad, rather that Garrett Wilson and Olave were better players and so got the top 2 spots, meaning they got covered by the top 2 CBs on the other team.

Just for you to understand, three of the top WRs in the last draft were Wilson, Olave and Jameson Williams. Williams had to transfer away from Ohio State to have a chance at becoming a top WR in the draft. So, JSN did quite well at Ohio State, when not injured.
Why do you keep saying he was the #3 receiver? He clearly wasn't and by far outproduced both Wilson and Olave.

Referencing Wilson and Olave as "better players" when both Wilson and Olave have said the opposite is quite the take.

Bust

Liked Posts:

is he worth a #1 overall tho? After Fields gave him the shout out alongside the value of WR's in the NFL <2nd highest paid position in the nfl>

Njigba may be gone top 5 . . .for sure top 10

Last edited:

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
is he worth a #1 overall tho? After Fields gave him the shout out alongside the value of WR's in the NFL <2nd highest paid position in the nfl>

Njigba may be gone top 5 . . .for sure top 10
I don't know but it'd be absolutely fucking hilarious if they took him number 1 overall. Logically if I'm saying he's best in the draft I guess I have to say yes though but obviously getting other assets too would be a priority

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Why do you keep saying he was the #3 receiver? He clearly wasn't and by far outproduced both Wilson and Olave.

Referencing Wilson and Olave as "better players" when both Wilson and Olave have said the opposite is quite the take.
Ok, let me start by saying that I like JSN a lot.

But let's start by trying to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

Let's start by addressing the Rose Bowl, where JSN had 347 yards and the other two players did not play because they decided to skip the game because they were going to enter the draft.

Here is a key quote for information sake:
And Shah’s group’s depth has never been thinner. Clark Phillips III mans one outside cornerback spot, Malone Mataele is primarily the nickel, and there is a huge question mark at that other outside spot. JT Broughton was lost for the season on Sept. 11 at BYU. Faybian Marks, who had played well in place of Broughton, suffered a season-ending injury at Arizona on Nov. 13. His replacement, Zemaiah Vaughn, left the Pac-12 championship game on Dec. 3 with an injury and had season-ending surgery.

Utah had their #1 CB, their slot CB and their 4th outside CB playing. Looking at videos, they were horrible, allowing receivers to blow past them almost as bad as J'Marcus Webb allowed pass rushers to pass right by him on their way to the QB.

So, comparing apples to apples (or do you think that JSN would have had 347 yards if Olave and Wilson had played and Olave and Wilson would have had 0 yards each in the Rose Bowl), I am going to take those 347 yards off the total, or I will only consider regular season stats, if you want it worded a different way.

So now JSN had 1,259 yards in 12 games in the regular season. Wilson had 1058 yards and Olave had 936, both in 11 games. That would be 1154 yards for Wilson for a 12 game season and 1021 for Olave when I add an average game receiving total.

So yardage wise, JSN would have had around 100 or 225 yards more if all had played 12 games.

But that is not all.

Now you have to consider which CBs each was playing against. Why? Because college football tends to have the best CB playing against the top receiver and the second best against the second best, etc.

Players like Sauce, Witherspoon and Gonzalez do not play the slot in college. They play outside where the opposing teams' best WRs play. This does not come from the fellow WRs on the best WR's team. It comes from the defensive coordinator who has to plan for them.

If JSN were the best WR on that team, some defensive coordinators would have played their best CBs to cover him. That never happened.

Instead, he had the 3rd best CB (if there were no injuries) covering the slot, making the job of an excellent WR much easier. Much easier than Olave and Wilson had to deal with.

When you take the level of CB play faced, Olave and Wilson would both either surpass or be very close to JSN's 12 game regular season total, if you tried to make it an apple to apple comparison (number of games and level of CB competition).

Which says a lot about JSN probably having a successful NFL career because both Olave and Wilson both look really good already.

I wish JSN had not been injured to see his totals this year. Would he have had the most yardage with Harrison Jr. playing too?

Well, we can both agree on something: he would sure look good in a Bears uniform.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
If they were letting multiple recievers blow by them why did he have like 80% off all the recieving yards in the game?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the point of a thread like this is to be bold and maybe more than a little unrealistic. If you would've heaped the sort of effusive praise on Justin Jefferson (or better yet Cooper Kupp himself) before the draft people would've called you dumb and crazy, but look how its turned out. Don't get too invested in collegiate players' profiles and stocks as prospects. The only thing you can ever expect out of the NFL draft is the unexpected.

Either way, my pick here is Devon Witherspoon. He’s the guy who seems to have what it takes to be really special
. I also really believe in Darnell Wright to be an All-Pro tackle, but I think Witherspoon is a safer bet.
I already selected Witherspoon, quit trying to steal my thunder